PDA

View Full Version : 流行.com (Popular, Fashion) Chinese and Japanese

Clotho
16th November 2009, 09:49 PM
I have one of those unusual domains that seems to mean the same or similar thing in Chinese Simplified, Chinese Traditional and Japanese.

It scores a 92 at IDN.bz (thanks Jose) Google returns 129,000,000 pages in quotes and Yahoo returns 664,000,000. Some online translators translate it as Popularity and others as Fashion

I registered this name on day 0. 2000-11-10.

I would be grateful if some native speakers could help elaborate on the translation of this domain and verify that it is understood in these languages. I would be interested in hearing how this domain could best be developed as well.

All comments are welcome and appreciated.

dnnames
16th November 2009, 09:59 PM
I believe it means more like "trend/in fashion", but I have limited chinese abilities.

Wait for others to confirm.

idn
16th November 2009, 10:13 PM
Here is a link for the .cn version. Looks like a good term to me.

http://www.idnforums.com/forums/18962-%E6%B5%81%E8%A1%8C-cn-popular-fashionable-name.html

Clotho
16th November 2009, 10:19 PM
Thanks for digging that up! I missed that thread.

When I first registered it I searched Jim Breens English-Japanese dictionary for the term 'popular' I registered the term as a Japanese Kanji thinking I could build one of those ratings type sites.

I was surprised to see that it worked in Chinese as well

mgrohan
17th November 2009, 12:26 AM
Yes, many uses in Chinese. Better translations than in that thread are:- prevalent; popular; fashionable; in vogue

流行:- Chinese dictionary entry (http://learnchinese.tv/search2.php?search=%E6%B5%81%E8%A1%8C&Submit=Search)

Clotho
17th November 2009, 12:30 AM
Thank you Mgrohan. Useful site. I have bookmarked it. Does it work in Traditional Chinese as well as Simplified?

I would also be interested in hearing from a native Japanese speaker.

touchring
17th November 2009, 07:55 AM
Thanks for digging that up! I missed that thread.

When I first registered it I searched Jim Breens English-Japanese dictionary for the term 'popular' I registered the term as a Japanese Kanji thinking I could build one of those ratings type sites.

I was surprised to see that it worked in Chinese as well

Japanese kanji is basically Chinese. Half the time, they don't match due to variant dufferences - simplified vs traditional or traditional (japanese version). The word is an adjective in Chinese. Generally speaking, i won't register an adjective - not that it has no value, but there are better options.

Ryu
17th November 2009, 08:23 AM
I believe it means more like "trend/in fashion",

exactly that in japanese

Clotho
18th November 2009, 11:25 PM
Thank you for the input everyone. I really appreciate it.