PDA

View Full Version : Japanese experts I need your help.

sarcle
18th November 2009, 04:45 AM
Let's just say hypothetically that were down the road a year and .org is finally going to get aliased. Which term do you think would be chosen to represent .org in Japanese?

。組織

or

。協会

Any opinions are welcome.

blastfromthepast
19th January 2010, 11:04 PM
None of the above. :)

IDNCowboy
19th January 2010, 11:13 PM

can you even register japanese in .org

blastfromthepast
20th January 2010, 02:33 AM

Yes.
:lol:

sarcle
20th January 2010, 03:12 AM

And your point? After two months and no reply I would assume there's more on your mind. What's on your mind dear?

No not yet. But I'm sure you will soon enough. Just a question.

Clotho
20th January 2010, 03:27 AM

.org was available in the original testbed for pre-reg and on day one since it was a part of Verisign at the time. When .org moved to the Public Interest Registry, (PIR) they unceremoniously dropped all of the IDN's in the .org testbed. Poof, all gone. I don't think much of PIR as a result.

As to your question Sarcle. They both look good to me and I cannot find enough reason to prefer one over the other. Blast may be right. They may pick something else altogether. Something in Kana perhaps.

sarcle
20th January 2010, 03:30 AM
They both look good to me and I cannot find enough reason to prefer one over the other.

Thanks Clotho for your opinion. That's all I was wanting to know. Thanks for the answer.

Ryu
20th January 2010, 03:45 AM
Typical Japanese reaction to .org would be, ".org? what's org? I'd rather want .orz"

sarcle
20th January 2010, 03:49 AM
Typical Japanese reaction to .org would be, ".org? what's org? I'd rather want .orz"

Main reason for asking was the search results.

Chock full of .or websites.

http://search.yahoo.co.jp/search?p=%22%E5%8D%94%E4%BC%9A%22&search.x=1&fr=top_ga1_sa&tid=top_ga1_sa&ei=UTF-8&aq=&oq=

Not so much.

http://search.yahoo.co.jp/search?p=%22%E7%B5%84%E7%B9%94%22&ei=UTF-8&fr=top_ga1_sa&x=wrt

Ryu
20th January 2010, 04:11 AM
Yeah, but most Japanese people don't even know that org is a shortcut for organisation.

.org getting aliased to .協会, .団体, .組織, or anything else that means organisation in Japanese sounds like a far fetched idea.

Having said that, it's really up to the .org registry to apply for one if they like.

To me, none looks promising.

sarcle
20th January 2010, 04:12 AM
Yeah, but most Japanese people don't even know that org is a shortcut for organisation.

.org getting aliased to .協会, .団体, .組織, or anything else that means organisation in Japanese sounds like a far fetched idea.

Having said that, it's really up to the .org registry to apply for one if they like.

To me, none looks promising.

Thanks Ryu for the explaination and opinion.

Ryu
20th January 2010, 04:34 AM

Actually, I think most people don't know that .org TLD exists at all. I didn't know about it till I started registering domain names.

sarcle
20th January 2010, 04:41 AM
Actually, I think most people don't know that .org TLD exists at all. I didn't know about it till I started registering domain names.

Yes I'm aware.

But you have organizations in Japan. I'm sure it won't be marketed as .org, but if there is a Japanese equivalent I don't see why .or.jp users wouldn't want the equivalent to advertise. Whatever that will be. Guess we'll see.

Cheers.

mulligan
20th January 2010, 04:55 AM
At last count there were about 18,700ish IDN.org registered, mainly Latin based and most of the rest are Korean.

sarcle
20th January 2010, 04:59 AM
At last count there were about 18,700ish IDN.org registered, mainly Latin based and most of the rest are Korean.

Yes, but there isn't a .IDN equivalent yet. So it doesn't really mean anything to most native speakers. I'm expecting that to change once aliasing happens.

Just trying to think outside the box. ;)

markits
20th January 2010, 07:12 AM
.org as web address seems quite popular in Japan.
Check out this: http://search.yahoo.co.jp/search?p=inurl%3Aorg&ei=UTF-8&fr=top_ga1_sa&x=wrt

blastfromthepast
20th January 2010, 08:34 PM
.org = オーグ

There are even Japanese websites in .org that advertise themselves as .オーグ

See: http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/トップレベルドメイン

sarcle
20th January 2010, 08:52 PM
.org = オーグ

There are even Japanese websites in .org that advertise themselves as .オーグ

See: http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/トップレベルドメイン (http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/)

Ah. I see you motivation now. :) Well if it's in wiki it must be true although I didn't realize they had made aliasing decisions yet. I see one website come up as .org when I do a search for it.

Seems though that a couple here have explained that most Japanese don't realize what .org means. So a transliteral version may not be the best route for the registry. I would think the registry would want something that companies can brand and people would understand. Just my opinion.

Looking at Google exact around 210 people look for it a month.

Congrats on the name and good luck on the sale.

Cheers.

blastfromthepast
20th January 2010, 08:53 PM
The .org is still available. ;)

blastfromthepast
20th January 2010, 09:00 PM
Seems though that a couple here have explained that most Japanese don't realize what .org means. So a transliteral version may not be the best route for the registry.

But it is typically Japanese to transliterate foreign words, as it is cooler that way.

sarcle
20th January 2010, 09:32 PM
But it is typically Japanese to transliterate foreign words, as it is cooler that way.

True. This whole thread was meant as speculation as to what the registry might do.

So, for $50 bucks, I see your sales thread as a great "potential opportunity" for someone in this untapped market. Hope someone sees that and goes for it.

G/L

blastfromthepast
20th January 2010, 09:37 PM
Some companies brand themselves with weird English names, I found a few that contain the word ORG.

I don't think the .ORG registry has been particularly savvy about IDNs, but they are getting there.

I have a few orgs sitting in lock down mode from the early part of the last decade just waiting to be released.

alpha
20th January 2010, 10:29 PM
I have a few orgs sitting in lock down mode from the early part of the last decade just waiting to be released.

are you Kan okuda?