PDA

View Full Version : Just Joined/Saying Hello...

domaindog
23rd November 2009, 08:48 PM
Hi all,

This is my first post. I am a real newbie so please forgive my questions that appear very basic to you. I have been attracted to domain-name investment after reading about the recent ICANN announcement for non-latin script IDNs. I have never registered an IDN so far.

This forum appears to have a lot of help. I have a few very basic questions:

1. Recommended registrars for IDNs? Can all registrars work with the Punycode?
2. Will the existing IDNs be converted into non-latin script IDNs?
3. Where do I go to register arabic names?

Thankyou

23rd November 2009, 09:11 PM
1. Recommended registrars for IDNs? Can all registrars work with the Punycode?
2. Will the existing IDNs be converted into non-latin script IDNs?
3. Where do I go to register arabic names?
Welcome to IDNF.

1. Dynadot for the interface is my preferred registrar.
Additional options: Moniker,GoDaddy and Domainsite
2. All indications and expectations show that the existing IDN.ASCII (i.e דוגמא.com) will be converted to IDN.IDN (דוגמא.קום) and the registrant of the IDN.ASCII will be the only one entitled to the IDN.IDN
3. Any registrar that accepts IDN gTLD registrations accepts them for all languages.

domaindog
23rd November 2009, 11:39 PM
@555 Many thanks. I'll start working. I had read that Egypt and UAE had started registrations (perhaps pre-registrations for the IDN.IDN domains), and I had been searching for local registrars in these countries, but did not get much success.
PS: Your example covers IDN.com (ASCII). let us say one wants IDN.cc in Non-latin script. Will the present cc(ASCII) domain holder be entitled to get the cc(non-latin) as well?

sarcle
24th November 2009, 12:40 AM
Will the present cc(ASCII) domain holder be entitled to get the cc(non-latin) as well?

As we understand it, yes. But it hasn't been "officially" stated. I wouldn't hold your breath on the .cc though. I see .com .net .org being the first ones out. .cc will be awhile when aliasing does happen.

P.S. Do a search on "Dname" and "Aliasing".

dnnames
24th November 2009, 12:42 AM
Welcome and feel free to ask any questions. We are all happy to help.

A lot of new arabic members btw, news must be travelling fast over there :P

sbe18
24th November 2009, 01:49 AM
Welcome to IDNF...

Dynadot does have a policy for discounts once, you have more than 500 names.

new reg's at below 8, and re-reg's at below 7.50/ 7.25 etc...

It seems the Egypt/ UAE are going to follow the Russian model for
sunrise and blocking .

With regard to registrars in each Arab nation, the govt's decide...
ICANN stays out of the politics..

Steve

Drewbert
24th November 2009, 02:38 AM
let us say one wants IDN.cc in Non-latin script. Will the present cc(ASCII) domain holder be entitled to get the cc(non-latin) as well?

ccTLD's are Sovereign. It is up to them to decide if they want to do that or not.

At one stage, the operator of .jp (JPNIC) was saying idn.jp would get the equivalent in their new IDN ccTLD, but since then the Gov there has said it's putting the operation of the new ccTLD out to tender.

This is possibly to kick-start JPNIC into upgrading their system for .jp to drag it kicking and screaming out of the dark ages.

sprewellpj
24th November 2009, 02:39 AM
Welcome.

And I've noticed this too.

A lot of new arabic members btw, news must be travelling fast over there :P

Drewbert
24th November 2009, 02:39 AM
and the registrant of the IDN.ASCII will be the only one entitled to the IDN.IDN

I think it's more likely they'll be offered the equivalent in a sunrise period and if they don't take it up, the registry is free to sell it (or more likely auction it) to all comers.

Giant
24th November 2009, 04:35 AM
I think it's more likely they'll be offered the equivalent in a sunrise period and if they don't take it up, the registry is free to sell it (or more likely auction it) to all comers.

I think so too. This way, it will be fair to all parties

Rubber Duck
24th November 2009, 06:00 AM
As we understand it, yes. But it hasn't been "officially" stated. I wouldn't hold your breath on the .cc though. I see .com .net .org being the first ones out. .cc will be awhile when aliasing does happen.

P.S. Do a search on "Dname" and "Aliasing".

I think you are talking to cross-purposes and that the answer was No.

Rubber Duck
24th November 2009, 06:02 AM
ccTLD's are Sovereign. It is up to them to decide if they want to do that or not.

At one stage, the operator of .jp (JPNIC) was saying idn.jp would get the equivalent in their new IDN ccTLD, but since then the Gov there has said it's putting the operation of the new ccTLD out to tender.

This is possibly to kick-start JONIC into upgrading their system for .jp to drag it kicking and screaming out of the dark ages.

Well if they are Sovereign then ICANN cannot decide whether a country takes it name back or not. None of their business. But I agree that is my understanding.

Asiaplay
24th November 2009, 06:58 AM
Welcome to the forums...

Some additional comments on your questions (Part 2) - as other parts seem to have been answered clearly.

For some ccTLD e.g. China IDN.cn - holders of IDN.ascii will be given the IDN.IDN.
Actually for .CN the IDN.ascii holders, have already been locally given the IDN.IDN for .CN
i.e. under a hack that CNNIC does within China - this means that within China IDN.中国 already works and has already been given to the person who registered IDN.CN (IDN.ascii) - but it will also work for everyone world-wide, when it goes into the global root (and the .CN to .IDN, is not just then a local hack that only works within China).

I also suspect that .HK, .TW and .KR will do the same
(i.e. give the holders of IDN.ascii ccTLD the IDN.IDN ccTLD versions).
However this has not been stated clearly yet, if that is the case yet.

For the other ccTLD extensions, it will depend on what each registrar / owners of each ccTLD decides to do, as to if the IDN.ascci is just given the IDN.IDN or if it is charged for (and perhaps even allocated) separately, from the IDN.ascii.

Note: The ccTLD will definitely be the first extensions to get full IDN.IDN
Why... as for gTLD there is not even a procedure for the gTLD IDN.IDN process to start yet with ICANN (so no one, as far as I know, has any clear idea when the IDN.ascii gTLD will go IDN.IDN).

Hope you enjoy the forums - Cheers, Asiaplay

PS: I think you know it already... but just incase... in the above comments the:-
g = global,
cc = country code (country level)
TLD = top level domain

phio
24th November 2009, 07:02 AM
Welcome to THE forum domaindog. Happy hunting. Let us know if you find anything out re: UAE and SA and Egypt registrations.

Drewbert
24th November 2009, 07:35 AM
Well if they are Sovereign then ICANN cannot decide whether a country takes it name back or not. None of their business. But I agree that is my understanding.

Ah but here is the catch.

Requiring a redelegation is precisely the moment that ICANN insists on a contract between the delegatee and ICANN.

Short and curlies.

sarcle
24th November 2009, 01:51 PM
I think you are talking to cross-purposes and that the answer was No.

Yeah, I was actually doing that. And you're right. I don't know what the hell I was thinking. .cc lol. It's cool, I can admit when I'm wrong. :D

domaindog
24th November 2009, 09:22 PM
Many thanks for all of you who chimed in. Lots of hand holding for a newcomer here. Appreciate.

bwhhisc
24th November 2009, 09:28 PM
Many thanks for all of you who chimed in. Lots of hand holding for a newcomer here. Appreciate.

Dive in and read back thru the archives. Especially 2005 and early 2006 when many of us were going in circles and figuring it out by trial and error.

A few early posts by Edwin (I think they are still up) taught many herehow to "mine" for names and the principles are still very viable. Of course, that also got many searching out those miners and buying up their lists. :)