PDA

View Full Version : Is dot net really more popular in the Arab world?

domaindog
16th December 2009, 09:51 PM
Is the dot net extension really more popular in the Arab world? Is their data/review on the subject? Thanks everyone.

Muhammad Mustafa
26th December 2009, 02:23 PM
Just my opinion, not as big demand as most of you think, since AlJazeera & AlArabyia, the two leading Arabic Media firms using .net, many thinks .net worth more in ME, but, as from what I see, .com is more attractive for buyers and widely used than .net
Searching for the most famous websites/forums/blogs...etc in Arabic world, you'll find 95% of them using .com, try to sell a domain in any Arabic Forum/Webmasters Community they will take the .com at least 3x the .net, so, the short answer is NO (IMHO) and of course this never meant to be that .net is worthless in Arabic Countries, no, they worth, they have a value, but can't beat .com
Just my 2 cents :)

g
26th December 2009, 08:02 PM
Just my opinion, not as big demand as most of you think, since AlJazeera & AlArabyia, the two leading Arabic Media firms using .net, many thinks .net worth more in ME, but, as from what I see, .com is more attractive for buyers and widely used than .net
Searching for the most famous websites/forums/blogs...etc in Arabic world, you'll find 95% of them using .com, try to sell a domain in any Arabic Forum/Webmasters Community they will take the .com at least 3x the .net, so, the short answer is NO (IMHO) and of course this never meant to be that .net is worthless in Arabic Countries, no, they worth, they have a value, but can't beat .com
Just my 2 cents :)

more valuable than .com and .net are respectable arabic IDNers like mustafa

surely I agree with what is said

bwhhisc
27th December 2009, 12:06 PM
I don't think their is as much "phobia" about .net since some of the biggest websites like aljazeera.net use that extension and it is readily in use. That said, take it from the experts like MM. :) I get a fair amount of offers on my .nets from Hebrew and Arabic domainers so for those who can't afford the .coms but want to develop on a lower budget you can turn those $5.50 regs into xxx and x,xxx pretty easy.

Looking ahead 20+ years from now, there will be so many more websites and online competiton that .com and .net may begin to run neck in neck in some languages. The computer of the future is going to be the handheld phone and that is where most of your traffic will come from. Personally, I would take a GREAT .net keyword over some 2nd or 3rd tier mediocre .com

sbe18
27th December 2009, 08:08 PM
Mobile and games and dot com's are one of my Arabic name strategies..

Not sure which of the 4 would be the better branding name...

Arabic native speaker comments welcome....

Steve

العاب-الانترنت.com Games - online. Com
العاب-الموبايل.com Games - Mobile. Com العاب-جوال.com Games - Mobile. Com
العاب-الجوال.com Games - Mobile. Com

sjadallah
28th December 2009, 07:08 PM
Hi Everybody,

it's good to discuss this point, thanks "domaindog".

from my side I find that the .com domains is much much much better than .net for a very simple reason, it can be typed easily on the IE or Firefox or any browser by writing the arabic word then click ctrl+enter it will be autocompleted as you know, but for .net there is not a short key for that "the user has to setup this short key from browser setup".

so for example if the user wants to enter الجو website, he just need to enter الجو in arabic then ctrl+enter then the browser will drive him to the website automatically.

but if we are using .net he has to enter الجو in arabic then to change the language to english to complete the .net part then click on the enter button to go for الجو.net, so it's very hard to use .net domains.

for me I don't have any .net domain and I will not have any....:)

Regards,
Samer

phio
28th December 2009, 07:55 PM
but for .net there is not a short key for that "the user has to setup this short key from browser setup"

Shift + Enter – Auto-complete *.net address

Fka200
28th December 2009, 07:59 PM
for me I don't have any .net domain and I will not have any....:)

So if arabs.net was available, you'd like it sit unregistered (العرب.net) or something like cars.net in English?

Just wondering. Serious question I ask everyone that mentions they will never buy a .net.

Shift + Enter – Auto-complete *.net address

Bingo :-).

thefabfive
28th December 2009, 08:41 PM
Part of the theory of Arabic .nets was that there are so many countries with Arabic as their national language. There is not one central ccTLD that serves the entire Arabic world.

So while for most languages, the preference goes (not always, of course) - .com or ccTLD, then .net, for the Arabic world ccTLD is not as much a factor, elevating .net.

Or so the theory goes.

sjadallah
28th December 2009, 09:12 PM
By the way shift+enter not always work, trust me try it from more than one computer and you will find that.

And again for me I don't like investing on .net domains (that's my opinion).

Regards,
Samer

basel
28th December 2009, 11:05 PM
80% of my arabic idns are .com

but im 100% sure if the extension of the arabic idn come soon in arabic langauge , the .net will be better than .com

نت net = نت : two letters - one of the most used words in arab world - prime terms for the exact meaning net

كوم com = كوم : just a english version translation - no meaning in arabic - كوم just used for com - this word are used in arabsite too much just to translate the com but its for 100% not mean company or commercial in arabic language

نت :
60,000,000 google results
كوم :
19,000,000 google results Only

Fka200
29th December 2009, 02:00 AM
Interesting. Time will tell.

touchring
29th December 2009, 05:29 AM
80% of my arabic idns are .com

but im 100% sure if the extension of the arabic idn come soon in arabic langauge , the .net will be better than .com

نت net = نت : two letters - one of the most used words in arab world - prime terms for the exact meaning net

كوم com = كوم : just a english version translation - no meaning in arabic - كوم just used for com - this word are used in arabsite too much just to translate the com but its for 100% not mean company or commercial in arabic language

نت :
60,000,000 google results
كوم :
19,000,000 google results Only

does "com" mean anything? "com" doesn't have a meaning. The only difference between a dot com and a dot net is that you use a dot net because you were late to register a dot com.

lol

basel
29th December 2009, 07:01 PM
90% of my arabic idns are .com :))

blastfromthepast
29th December 2009, 11:33 PM
does "com" mean anything? "com" doesn't have a meaning. The only difference between a dot com and a dot net is that you use a dot net because you were late to register a dot com.

lol

Only because is first on the list when I go to register names. :lol:

g
30th December 2009, 12:01 AM
lol

haha...there are three more reasons.... the .com owner will not sell for cheap, you want to sell it to the .com owner ,and last reason is that you want to make your .com more valuable by registering other extensions .... lol

bwhhisc
30th December 2009, 12:19 AM
top Arabic keyword.net x 5 year hold x $5.50/ year= $ 27.50.

fast forward to 2015...what do you think your $27.50 investment will be worth?

even at $100 it will be a 300% return on your investment, not including any parking revenues :)

are there many other investments that might do as well for ROI? .com yes....

gold, stocks, real estate??? not a chance....

don't overlook TOP keyword .nets for making money over the long haul.

touchring
30th December 2009, 01:08 PM
Only because is first on the list when I go to register names. :lol:

why didn't they put .net first? perhaps if they did that, .net will become the preferred. lol