PDA

View Full Version : Two worded Arabic names

domaindog
16th December 2009, 09:59 PM
Is there a final standard announced for two-worded Arabic domains? Is the intervening hyphen (dash) a standardized solution? I have not been able to find links to any Arabian registrars working with the UAE or Egyptian IDN ccTLDs who might offer help in this matter. Thanks everyone.

sbe18
16th December 2009, 10:32 PM
there have been IANA and IETF documents discussing a new 'space' key or character for Arabic,Urdu, and Farsi...

likely to go nowhere relative to FTP/HTTP and SMTP server protocols for a long time...

so there is no alternative at the moment other than use of the hyphen.

Hindi names also need hyphens frequently...
Native speakers needed on a case by case basis etc..

Russian 2 word domains also on a case by case basis, hyphens are important according to native speakers as well.

s/

Fka200
16th December 2009, 11:06 PM
I don't think there's anything wrong with hyphens. They are generally accepted in certain situations, and even widely used in the Middle East (from what I have seen).

Hell, I've seen two worders with hyphens where the non-hyphen were still available.

sbe18
17th December 2009, 12:07 AM
Arabic also has IDN issues with diacritics ...
Arabic/Farsi/Urdu conflicts with diacritic markings are still continuing at
gnso/gac/ccnso meetings

I think a post here at IDNF, has cleared up many of the conflicts
Egyptian, Iraqi, and Gulf speakers have with common word spellings.
I just can't seem to find it.

In many ways, SMS in Arabic is going to prove the winner over time...

sms with OS recognition of URL's is going to get Arabic mobile Net users to become comfortable seeing the hyphens over time.

this is true in Germany and Russia for hyphenated 2 word URL's in SMS and MMS messages.

s/

domaindog
17th December 2009, 02:16 AM
Thanks all. I am wondering if the Arabic speaking users are comfortable with using the hyphen. It will be OK for the search engines though.

Drewbert
19th December 2009, 08:44 AM
Is there a final standard announced for two-worded Arabic domains? Is the intervening hyphen (dash) a standardized solution?

Yes. The Arabic Registries have decided hyphen is the way to go.

A read of http://www.idnforums.com/forums/23957-arabic-domains-make-an-offer-مصريه-com-and-more.html#post145109 (and the link in that post) should give you all you need.