PDA

View Full Version : ND double encoding probs?

Drewbert
19th December 2009, 09:13 AM
Is it just me, or is ND having some major problems with double-encoding on their site right now?

markits
19th December 2009, 09:26 AM
same here

blastfromthepast
19th December 2009, 04:15 PM
:(

mulligan
19th December 2009, 04:18 PM
Jeez, I 'thought' I owned some jibberish .. It's now confirmed

phio
19th December 2009, 07:49 PM
Could someone explain what causes this. Noomle also is having this issue when I go in to the control panel and edit a domain. Any hints on a fix are appreciated.

Rubber Duck
19th December 2009, 08:09 PM
They must have poached Sedo's old web page designer. :rolleyes:

Drewbert
19th December 2009, 08:21 PM
Could someone explain what causes this. Noomle also is having this issue when I go in to the control panel and edit a domain. Any hints on a fix are appreciated.

Search for

Ð double encoding

rofsjan
19th December 2009, 11:10 PM
confirmed. same issue in my ND panel.
ND tech support is contacted. I sent an url to this thread
for additional info.

Fka200
20th December 2009, 12:46 AM
Always the IDNers getting screwed over... :(.

thefabfive
20th December 2009, 01:58 AM
Very annoying

DomainDialect
20th December 2009, 02:22 AM
What? You mean you don't know what терроризм.com translates to? :lol:

Fka200
20th December 2009, 04:32 AM
What? You mean you don't know what терроризм.com translates to? :lol:

You know what's sad? Some domains, even in jibberish, I still knew what they were... LOL.

Guess I'm a little emotional with some of them ;-).

phio
20th December 2009, 06:57 AM
aside: Rachid at Noomle fixed the double encoding. Thankfully.

bwhhisc
20th December 2009, 09:12 AM
Still the same at Namedrive

blastfromthepast
20th December 2009, 10:38 PM
Double encoding fixed in the interface, but the display of the domain name on the parking page now shows as ?????????.com

DomainDialect
20th December 2009, 10:52 PM
You know what's sad? Some domains, even in jibberish, I still knew what they were... LOL.

Guess I'm a little emotional with some of them ;-).

That IS sad...but a good sad :(:)

sarcle
20th December 2009, 10:59 PM
Double encoding fixed in the interface, but the display of the domain name on the parking page now shows as ?????????.com

Hm... Interface is still coming up garbled for me. I'm surprised with how many domains we collectively have parked there that we haven't had an explaination from ND.

Going on 48 hours.

Fka200
20th December 2009, 11:19 PM
I just deleted a domain and re-added it... comes up fine in the backend.

However, still ??????? on the parked pages.

All other domains still glk54lwe4$%#@r.

blastfromthepast
21st December 2009, 02:28 AM
?????????? ?????????

?????? ??????? ???????? ??????? ???????????? ?????????
??????????????? ???????????????. ?????????????????? ??????? ?!!!

sprewellpj
21st December 2009, 02:52 AM
ND interface today has been really frustrating. Especially as I wanted to compile stats for my end of the year renewal decisions.

dice1116
22nd December 2009, 01:22 AM
Seems like the problem is fixed now.

Fka200
22nd December 2009, 02:10 AM
Seems like the problem is fixed now.

No, even worse. I had some domains working with parked pages (like Arabic, while Russian wasn't working) ... now Russian isn't working and Arabic [??????.com]. Too lazy to check the others, but damnit... I'm assuming they aren't working as well!

phio
22nd December 2009, 04:42 AM
No, even worse. I had some domains working with parked pages (like Arabic, while Russian wasn't working) ... now Russian isn't working and Arabic [??????.com]. Too lazy to check the others, but damnit... I'm assuming they aren't working as well!

This will affect revenue. Needs to be fixed ASAP, is anyone in contact with ED from namedrive???????
espi�o
sexym�dchen
thai and russian are still all question marks..arabic too!

jose
22nd December 2009, 05:23 AM
Here also. All non ascii chars are bogus.

jacksonm
22nd December 2009, 06:38 AM
Here also. All non ascii chars are bogus.

You're back! And it's not even next year yet!

blastfromthepast
22nd December 2009, 07:20 PM
Some domains are now showing as COMPLETELY BLANK in the interface.

jose
22nd December 2009, 08:13 PM
You're back! And it's not even next year yet!

Do you have any issue with that?!

Fka200
22nd December 2009, 08:58 PM
Seriously Namedrive? This shit still hasn't been taken care of?

NameDrive
23rd December 2009, 07:50 AM
Hi guys,

I'm sorry for my slow reply on this, I've only just been made aware of this thread. We were aware of the problem in the front office but not on the parking pages. We will get this fixed today.

I apologize for the inconvenience, this happened because we switched to a new language database on the weekend.

Having been the provider of choice for IDN Domainers for so many years, I'm very sorry that we made such a basic error in this field. To compound matters, our tech support rep had flu the last few days and decided not to forward your mails to me, so I was unaware of the scale of the problem.

I'll post again as soon as tech give me the heads up.

Ed

NameDrive
23rd December 2009, 08:33 AM
Hi everyone,

This has now been fixed. Again, I apologize for our uncharacteristically slow response here. It's frustrating that it got solved within 40 minutes of my being made aware of it.

I hope you all have a great holiday period despite this hiccup.

Ed

jacksonm
23rd December 2009, 09:31 AM
Thanks, Ed.

bwhhisc
23rd December 2009, 12:06 PM
Hi everyone,

This has now been fixed. Again, I apologize for our uncharacteristically slow response here. It's frustrating that it got solved within 40 minutes of my being made aware of it.

I hope you all have a great holiday period despite this hiccup.

Ed

If you don't mind, leave us an email addy for quicker notification in the future.

Clotho
23rd December 2009, 03:10 PM
There are still problems that weren't there before.

If you use the search box for an IDN or part of an IDN it chokes and returns a database error.

Revenues are decreasing yet browser penetration is increasing. I did better 2 years ago when IE7 was just hitting the streets. This makes no sense whatsoever.

Revenue is so bad now that there is no longer any reason to stay. It can't get much worse anywhere else.

NameDrive
23rd December 2009, 05:23 PM
Hello Clotho,

I'll get tech on the search bug, I'll get the guys on it.

As far as revenues are concerned, I can't comment regarding your own account. I just know that parking revenues across most platforms have been affected by the general economic climate but revenues systemwide on ND certainly picked up around October so hopefully 2010 will be a better prospect.

bwhhisc - tech@namedrive.com is the best one to contact. We normally respond to this within an hour during office times, it was just a bad mixture of the holiday period and sickness which led to this backlog.

Again, I apologise for any inconvenience.

Ed

phio
23rd December 2009, 05:44 PM
Thanks for getting on it Ed.

jose
23rd December 2009, 06:07 PM
Thanks Ed. BTW, I miss the old site...

blastfromthepast
24th December 2009, 04:07 AM
Preview by geo location no longer works.

jacksonm
24th December 2009, 05:02 AM

That hasn't worked in quite a while, i.e. at least several months.

jacksonm
24th December 2009, 05:04 AM
If you don't mind, leave us an email addy for quicker notification in the future.

A phone number would be better.

Or perhaps several days worth of the combined revenue we bring isn't really that big of a loss...

Drewbert
24th December 2009, 08:57 AM

Noooooooooooooo!!!!

jose
24th December 2009, 04:03 PM
BTW Ed, where can we find this? http://www.domisfera.com/img/patrocinadores/namedrive.swf

Also, are we allowed to use it?

phio
30th December 2009, 05:21 AM
بطاقات.net showing up now:confused:

Fka200
30th December 2009, 05:59 AM
This is F*IN annoying. It looks like there was just some sort of quick-fix.

In my deleted domains folder, I'm still getting the random crap encoding. I'd like to know what those domains are, gdi.

blastfromthepast
30th December 2009, 06:19 PM
Domains added during the problem period are showing up wrong too.

jose
31st December 2009, 12:22 AM
Domains added during the problem period are showing up wrong too.

Hint to ND: I have added some yesterday and were fine. Some went to ownership review and were manually added today by ND staff and are showing wrong!!!

mulligan
31st December 2009, 04:29 AM
I'm getting a database error if I try to use the search box in the top left.

Clotho
31st December 2009, 04:54 AM
I'm getting a database error if I try to use the search box in the top left.

This is the problem I posted about a week ago. Still not fixed. Makes finding data to evaluate renewals very difficult.

I appreciate the fact that Namedrive was one of the first to help with the monetization of IDN's but lately they have been sucking badly on several fronts. I will be looking at alternatives in the new year.

NameDrive
5th January 2010, 03:45 PM
Hey guys,

Sorry this hasn't been fixed sooner, sadly the end of the year was not our most productive. We have fixed the search on the left navigation now, but the parking problem goes pretty deep into the code. We have fixed this now and I expect the change to go live today.

I apologise again for any inconvenience and wish you all a great 2010.

Ed

jose
6th January 2010, 07:22 AM
Hello Ed. It's still not fixed. I think you'll have a hard time fixing it now, because when you fix some you will unfix others. You should have used the staging server to proper test it before going live as we kept entering our domains.

NameDrive
7th January 2010, 02:31 PM
Hi Jose,

We have now fixed everything to do with the IDNs of which we have been made aware. Optimization now works again, the search works and the parking pages work.

As far as domains listed during this period are concerned, we will look at all IDNs added during the time frame and try to re-add them correctly. It would help, however, if you PMed me if you have this problem and I'll get a custom solution for your specific account.

To answer other open questions here:
Jose - If you would like to have the domisfera banner, please contact my Spanish colleage, Estrella at Estrella at ND and she can help you out.

jacksonm - You can contact us by phone at the number on the website, (+1) 845 294 9611

On the magnifier preview, this has sadly been broken for a while now, I have upped its priority with tech as I want to get this sorted once and for all.

I hope this resolves everything for now. I apologise again for the inconvenience.

Ed

jose
10th January 2010, 06:39 PM
Thanks. Any idea when will all domains be fixed?

Fka200
16th January 2010, 04:29 AM
Still occurring. Recently added some domains and found some of them had encoding issues.

dice1116
16th January 2010, 01:49 PM
Still occurring. Recently added some domains and found some of them had encoding issues.

Same here.....

alexd
29th January 2010, 08:40 AM
Looks like this is still a problem.

I added about 20 domains to my Namedrive account yesterday, and just now I've signed into my account, and all the names are appearing like this ...

على.net

Namedrive - any idea when this issue is going to be resolved ?? It makes using Namedrive pretty difficult - especially when trying to work out the stats of newly added domains.

Alex

Fka200
29th January 2010, 08:44 AM
Mentioned this to them a million times. This is outright ridiculous.

mulligan
29th January 2010, 08:50 AM
Ed, can this be sorted please?

Customers will flee in their droves otherwise.

Drewbert
29th January 2010, 09:01 AM
I added a number yesterday and aren't having problems with any of them BUT one I added on the 19th is showing double encoding in the user interface. The actual parked page shows the correct unicode. If I search for the correct unicode in the LH search field, it can't find it. If I search for the double-encoded Unicode медÑ.... it does.

The difference between THAT one and the newer entires it that it went through the "Ownership Review" process.

Did the ones you're having trouble with do the same? That might be where the lingering problem is.

alexd
29th January 2010, 09:09 AM
I think that most of the ones I added yesterday DID go through the ownership review before being added to my account.

Drewbert
29th January 2010, 04:46 PM
There you go, Ed!

jose
29th January 2010, 05:24 PM
I already said the problem was with the ownership review, on post #45 above, 1 MONTH AGO!

Drewbert
29th January 2010, 06:36 PM
So you did!

Well spotted, Bruce.

jose
1st February 2010, 05:53 PM
Now everything is down.... :(

Drewbert
1st February 2010, 06:57 PM
Supposedly the bug has been fixed but I don't think they've fixed the encoding on the existing names that were displaying the problem.

alexd
2nd February 2010, 09:12 AM
Supposedly the bug has been fixed but I don't think they've fixed the encoding on the existing names that were displaying the problem.

What I did earlier just to try something was to delete one of the domains that was displaying weird in my account ( a domain that first had to pass ownership verification ). I then added that domain back to my account, and now the domain is appearing perfectly in my panel, rather than as just weird random numbers.

I know that for many here who have a large number of domains appearing like this in their accounts, this solution is not a proper fix, but for those who have this problem with a small number of domains, it might be a quicker way of fixing it, rather than waiting for Namedrive to find a solution.

Alex

jacksonm
2nd February 2010, 09:59 AM
What I did earlier just to try something was to delete one of the domains that was displaying weird in my account ( a domain that first had to pass ownership verification ). I then added that domain back to my account, and now the domain is appearing perfectly in my panel, rather than as just weird random numbers.

I know that for many here who have a large number of domains appearing like this in their accounts, this solution is not a proper fix, but for those who have this problem with a small number of domains, it might be a quicker way of fixing it, rather than waiting for Namedrive to find a solution.

Alex

This thing can be corrected by a small perl script that takes about half an hour to write.

Here are the key libraries and functions that will do the magic:

use Test:utf8;
use Encode;
use Encode::DoubleEncodedUTF8;

is_sane_utf8($string); # test string for double-encoding

my $double_encoded_utf8 = "??????";
my $fixed = decode("utf-8-de", $double_encoded_utf8); # Fix it

Just load the perl database driver, run through the strings, test them for double-encoding, decode them, write them back to the database. Simple.

If I need to write and test the whole script, hourly consulting fees apply ;-)

markits
2nd February 2010, 02:12 PM
I still have a few domains appeared as "โปรแกรม.com" etc in my ND account. Hard to figure out which domain is getting the traffic.

Drewbert
2nd February 2010, 05:41 PM
They fixed 2 or 3 of mine, but left 2 still broken.

Michael, I think they keep the domain name in puny AND uni in the DB, as the actual parked pages come up fine (so they must generate the unicode on the fly from the puny when they build the page).

So the safest (and easiest) thing would probably to just regenerate all the unicode fields from the puny across the whole DB.

Certainly easier than explaining double encoding and testing to a PHP programmer :)

jacksonm
2nd February 2010, 06:11 PM
Storing unicode in the db would be completely redundant if it weren't for uppercasing support needed by the 5-word ascii domainers of today, but I digress...

Drewbert
2nd February 2010, 07:43 PM
Heh heh.

You don't uppercase your Russian domains? I do. :)

jacksonm
2nd February 2010, 09:22 PM
Heh heh.

You don't uppercase your Russian domains? I do. :)

You're shameless, Drewbert!

blastfromthepast
10th February 2010, 07:04 PM
I still have a few domains appeared as "โปรแกรม.com" etc in my ND account. Hard to figure out which domain is getting the traffic.

You're doing better than me, I have some domains that are showing completely blank, and can't even click on them.

markits
11th February 2010, 02:01 PM
You're doing better than me, I have some domains that are showing completely blank, and can't even click on them.

Wonder why it is so hard to fix.

squirrel
18th February 2010, 02:36 AM
Everything is fixed for me