PDA

View Full Version : Report: China Halts Overseas Registrars from Registering .CN Domains

zaclondon
7th January 2010, 07:27 PM
I'm sure everyone's heard this by now:

Registrar reports that overseas registrars are restricted from registering .cn domains.

According to a report at RRPproxy, .Cn registry CNNIC has temporarily halted overseas registrars from registering .cn domain names on behalf of registrants. The move comes after CNNIC cracked down on registrations last month to clean up the .cn namespace.

The notice says overseas registrars won’t be able to register .CN domains “starting with January 6, 2010, 18:00 PM (Beijing Time). The registration stop is planned to be temporarily. According to the Chinese registry, difficulties in handling the comprehensive new application material are the reason for this drastic development. The new application material is required since the middle of December 2009, when CNNIC suddenly changed its registration policies.”

The RRPproxy report also notes that China has added other restrictions:

1. Since January 1st, 2010, China domestic registrants are no longer allowed to register a .CN domain via an oversea registrar.
2. If any registrant’s business license or personal ID are not in Chinese or English, he has to file in a notarized English translation of these documents for domain name application starting with January 15th, 2010, 9:00 AM (Beijing Time).

I guess this prediction that GoDaddy would benefit from CNNIC’s crackdown may not come to fruition since the company will now need to cease offering .cn domain names. As of the time of writing, .cn domains are still listed as an option at GoDaddy. [Update: Go Daddy Sr. Director, Domain Registration Services, Rich Merdinger, informed me that the registrar received notice from NeuStar this morning about the changes. It later received notice from CNNIC. It has removed .cn as a new registration option.]

http://domainnamewire.com/2010/01/05/report-china-halts-overseas-registrars-from-registering-cn-domains/

---

The meddling continues. I'm glad my cn holding is small.