PDA

View Full Version : IDNTools on Times Square Billboard

sprewellpj
11th January 2010, 10:54 PM
http://idnblog.com/2010/01/11/idntools-ad-times-square-billboard/

sarcle
11th January 2010, 11:04 PM
This is the best thing I've seen. This is HUGE. Awareness has always been the key and you guys seemed to have pulled it off. I'm speechless.

Thank you guys.

sprewellpj
11th January 2010, 11:14 PM
This is the best thing I've seen. This is HUGE. Awareness has always been the key and you guys seemed to have pulled it off. I'm speechless.

Thank you guys.

Thanks for the support. Much appreciated.

seamo
11th January 2010, 11:47 PM
Congrats - great exposure for IDNs!

bwhhisc
11th January 2010, 11:49 PM
Congrats...be interested to know how your website traffic jumps.

IDNCowboy
12th January 2010, 12:30 AM
Only problem is most people will say what the hell is an IDN ? :-)

Even when I mention a domain name very few will respond saying oh you mean those www. thingys ;-)

Let me know if you need to get in contact with any sign companies. I am a real estate broker/small landlord in Manhattan and have contacts. ;-)

squirrel
12th January 2010, 12:47 AM
Very Nice

NameYourself
12th January 2010, 12:47 AM
Wow! How much does an ad like that cost?

squirrel
12th January 2010, 01:22 AM
Is it the first time ever that Time Square features a domain related ad ?

sprewellpj
12th January 2010, 01:43 AM
Is it the first time ever that Time Square features a domain related ad ?

I was wondering that myself. Of course Reuters has Reuters.com in Times Square etc., but I've never seen a domain based company like GoDaddy, Moniker, RickLatona there...

IDNCowboy
12th January 2010, 01:45 AM
Godaddy's big ad spending spree is on the Super Bowl and not Times Square....

Clotho
12th January 2010, 01:55 AM
Congrats! Well Done! Very cool!

Today Times square. Tomorrow Shibuya! (I look forward to the day when we see IDN's advertised in the countries that need them most)

Ryu
12th January 2010, 02:32 AM
We had one at Shibuya more than 2 years ago.

http://stat001.ameba.jp/user_images/1a/cc/10034615458.jpg

It was a flop. Cyber Agent is no longer advertising IDNs and those names have dropped.

Warning to cyber squatters: DON'T REG THEM. YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO PROFIT FROM THOSE CELEBRITY NAMES. WE WON'T ALLOW YOU TO SELL THEM HERE.

I guess they were too early to sell IDNs. Back then, IDNs didn't resolve for most Internet users.

BTW, the shameless registrar behind the billboard was asking JPY 4,515 for IDN.jp registration. And it prohibited registrants from transferring names away.

IDNCowboy
12th January 2010, 02:35 AM
We had one at Shibuya more than 2 years ago.

http://stat001.ameba.jp/user_images/1a/cc/10034615458.jpg

It was a flop. Cyber Agent is no longer advertising IDNs and those names have dropped.

Warning to cyber squatters: DON'T REG THEM. YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO PROFIT FROM THOSE CELEBRITY NAMES. WE WON'T ALLOW YOU TO SELL THEM HERE.

BTW, the shameless registrar behind the billboard was asking JPY 4,515 for IDN.jp registration. And it prohibited registrants from transferring names away.
Image won't show.. Unfortunately some registrars charge the same for IDN.jp as they do for ascii.jp

DomainDialect
12th January 2010, 04:02 AM
Great job! Mange Takk...:)

sbe18
12th January 2010, 05:40 AM
Congrats Aaron and Gary...
What a wonderful milestone to start the year with.

Steve

alexd
12th January 2010, 06:55 AM
http://idnblog.com/2010/01/11/idntools-ad-times-square-billboard/

Fantastic !!

Well done guys for that.

domainguru
12th January 2010, 07:02 AM
Congrats to Aaron and Gary. I don't mean for their groundbreaking advert, rather for mesmerizing Steve into what must be his shortest ever post.

Only joking Steve :)

Wot
12th January 2010, 07:20 AM
Brilliant :yes:

blastfromthepast
12th January 2010, 07:35 AM
The problem is still the logo, if you aren't already in the business, you aren't sure which order the I D and N should go to read it.

alexd
12th January 2010, 08:16 AM
The problem is still the logo, if you aren't already in the business, you aren't sure which order the I D and N should go to read it.

I have to agree 100% with Blast on this.

For an "outsider" it is pretty difficult to work out that the logo reads IDN. For me, the N kind of gets hidden away, and from a glance it reads more like IDI rather than IDN. I think that simply putting the N next to the D, rather than behind it will work much better, and be much more clearer about the words IDN - which at the end of the day, is what you are really about. - Just my thoughts.

Apart from that - congrats again on the exposure.

Alex

jose
12th January 2010, 08:54 AM
Congrats guys, so that was the big news Gary didn't want to tell me about?! :)

I just have three remarks (I hope you welcome constructive critics)

1. IDNTools is not "the only droplist for IDNs."

2. I agree with Jeff, and would even go further: 30% of the people passing by don't know what a domain name is, 60% don't know you can make a lot of money selling them, 90% don't know what an "IDN" is.

3. You [should] could work on the logo. Such a great promotion deserves a better logo.

Anyway, you did good to us all with this IDN huge exposition.

blastfromthepast
12th January 2010, 09:24 AM
You might have been better off with an easy to read 1 letter IDN in whatever language. People also know what a domain is. In general they don't know what an IDN is, and most of the news about IDNs mentions domains not IDNs.

alpha
12th January 2010, 09:26 AM
thanks for all the comments everyone, and special thanks to Aaron for masterminding this.

As usual, with anything like this it attracts overly positive comments, overly negative comments, and varying degrees in between. And you know what, it's all good, everyone has their opinion and it's good to hear them.

A few common points have been raised, so it's probably worth touching on them, and giving my take on it.

We decided to do a PR blast using one of the countries most respected PR media companies, as part of this PR campaign the article is sent to thousands of news agencies and outlets for them to pick up, and we also get some airtime in Times Square for a few days.

What were our intentions?

One of the most recognized barriers facing the IDN industry is lack of awareness, and the information when it is out there, as we know is often outdated, scare-mongering and often plainly wrong.
Yes there was a commercial slant to the PR campaign to promote IDNTools and the droplist (which incidentally does include the only publicly available dot JP droplist on the web)

.. but ultimately it's about getting investors & developers attention here at home, and laying down a trail of breadcrumbs for people to follow from the article, to the blogs, to this forum and so on, and on that journey they will find the facts and what we know is a huge opportunity.

Do we expect people in Times Square to stop, look up and register an IDN on their phone, or even necessarily to immediately understand what they are looking at? lol, no. It's more about publicity, and being able to use and reference this event in that iconic location for future targeted detailed messaging.

blastfromthepast
12th January 2010, 09:31 AM
One of the most recognized barriers facing the IDN industry is lack of awareness, and the information when it is out there, as we know is often outdated, scare-mongering and often plainly wrong.

+1

I wonder how much traffic was lost to IDITOOLS.COM

alpha
12th January 2010, 09:33 AM
I wonder how much traffic was lost to IDITOOLS.COM

lol, the strapline on the screen above the image had the URL very clearly (although not seen clearly in the lo-res image)

This is a good thing Blast.. I'm sure if you dig deep you can find something positive to say..

blastfromthepast
12th January 2010, 09:37 AM
lol, the strapline on the screen above the image had the URL very clearly (although not seen clearly in the lo-res image)

This is a good thing Blast.. I'm sure if you dig deep you can find something positive to say..

We all benefit if more names get sold at higher prices as a result of your venture. So the more effective your logo is the better. Don't think brand recognition. Think generic.

Rubber Duck
12th January 2010, 09:40 AM

Of course, not everyone here is really going to be happy. The days of picking up half decent domains for less than reg fee are clearly about to pass forever.

Thanks Guys.

jose
12th January 2010, 09:44 AM
Next step: http://www.google.com/adwords/tvads/index-b.html

jose
12th January 2010, 09:46 AM
Of course, not everyone here is really going to be happy. The days of picking up half decent domains for less than reg fee are clearly about to pass forever.

The old issue: Plz don't take IDNs mainstream yet, lemme just buy some more for cheap.

Rubber Duck
12th January 2010, 10:19 AM
The old issue: Plz don't take IDNs mainstream yet, lemme just buy some more for cheap.

Well having met our current financial targets, it seems unlikely that we will be doing more auctions before there is a lot more interest in the mainstream than there is currently. Good names for Cheap is increasingly the province of dreamers from here on in.

blastfromthepast
12th January 2010, 12:38 PM

I haven't seen you buying… even when Duck was selling good domains for $1.

touchring
12th January 2010, 01:01 PM

lol

jose
12th January 2010, 01:35 PM

I am not the only not wanting to take this mainstream.

Yes, I have not been buying a lot on the secondary market, because I have scripts permanently running that are constantly sending me opportunities and I have been much active on the drop market also.

But its curious you said that because I was just now finishing a deal with RD (as a buyer). And yes, it was low price. ;)

sprewellpj
12th January 2010, 04:33 PM

Thanks Guys.

Thanks Dave!

jose
12th January 2010, 04:44 PM
Idea: Snapnames have been doing IDN for ages. Why not do the first IDN auction there? Just like domainingtips.com did.

alpha
12th January 2010, 05:05 PM
Idea: Snapnames have been doing IDN for ages. Why not do the first IDN auction there? Just like domainingtips.com did.

because the only domains you hear about are the real quality domains that drop thru snapnames... and good luck in finding seller(s) who have the balls to put up real quality at reserve of $69

blastfromthepast
12th January 2010, 05:56 PM
put up real quality at reserve of $69

That’s so 2005.

idnowner
12th January 2010, 06:28 PM

I think the biggest barrier is not yet being able to "activate" the .IDN extension. I think promoting them now is a bit early. Once IDN-TLD activations get implemented (and who knows when that will be?!) - then that's when I see IDNs becoming a BIG DEAL.

alpha
12th January 2010, 06:32 PM
I think the biggest barrier is not yet being able to "activate" the .IDN extension. I think promoting them now is a bit early. Once IDN-TLD activations get implemented (and who knows when that will be?!) - then that's when I see IDNs becoming a BIG DEAL.

from a TLD perspective maybe.. but IDN is more than just com & net

and besides, the prime time to get in on the game is before the 'activation' isn't it?

IDNCowboy
12th January 2010, 06:40 PM
Glad you brits agree on something ;P

Times Square is good for exposure ;) (United States)

idnowner
12th January 2010, 06:59 PM
from a TLD perspective maybe.. but IDN is more than just com & net

My IDNs are mainly Japanese .coms, so for me, my perspective is different than for ccTLDs, or other languages.

and besides, the prime time to get in on the game is before the 'activation' isn't it?

For the end-user, the time is NOW - or was earlier - but often they aren't interested until the herd is feeding.

sarcle
12th January 2010, 07:11 PM
I've been trying to find live feed for the sign. It seems Reuters webcam isn't working. :(

www.thereuterssign.com (http://www.thereuterssign.com)

http://www.thereuterssign.com/webcam/

The closest I could find was here:

http://www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/timessquare/

Anyone else?

Rubber Duck
12th January 2010, 07:21 PM
That’s so 2005.

No actually, it was never like that. Snapnames wasn't in the game to much after Pool and even they weren't in the game to much later than that. When Pool first started doing them we just used their drop schedule to hand reg them at Domainsite. Why pay the drop catcher fee, when nobody else was chasing them? It was a cold day in Hell when we had to start competing with drop catchers.

chrisofmel
12th January 2010, 10:00 PM
dam cool if you ask me. i hate to nitpick but the logo can be confusing.

alpha
12th January 2010, 10:55 PM
dam cool if you ask me

yeah. thx

i hate to nitpick but the logo can be confusing.

agree, we need to tweak it at some point.

There's a higher-res pic up now btw here (http://idnblog.com/2010/01/11/idntools-ad-times-square-billboard/)

Jon Walter
16th July 2020, 03:31 PM
This is just incredible news! I'm happy!:yes:

tee1
16th July 2020, 04:25 PM
@Jon Walter you know this thread is 10 years old, right?

Jon Walter
16th July 2020, 04:29 PM
time flies so fast
it seems like it was yesterday

Azam Umer
9th December 2020, 06:54 AM
Thanks for sharing this!!

bintery
2nd June 2023, 06:39 AM
yeah. thx

agree, we need to tweak it at some point.

There's a higher-res pic up now btw here (https://gbwa.download/)

It's a good idea to review and tweak the logo as necessary to enhance its clarity and make it more visually appealing. This will help create a strong and cohesive brand identity.