PDA

View Full Version : How does it work ..japanese type ins

spacey
16th January 2010, 01:38 AM
Hi

I am wondering how the japanese folk can type in symbols ?

I understand some of the other alphabets can have a specific keyboard

I have the feeling i am not the only one here that is wondering this

I have had one click on a parked .jp page , but that's all , i understand not to expect too much parking revenue for idn's , so how did they get to my parked page i wonder ?

Any help appreciated :confused:

squirrel
16th January 2010, 02:10 AM
what do you mean by "symbols" ?

Japanese people have their own keyboard. They can type the equivalent of syllables and then press a special key that converts the syllables into kanji. I over simplified but I think you get the idea. You can do more research by yourself if you need to.

squirrel
16th January 2010, 02:13 AM
i understand not to expect too much parking revenue for idn's

Just letting you know, you can earn very decent parking revenue from IDNs.

thefabfive
16th January 2010, 02:50 AM
Search "Japanese keyboard" and "Japanese input methods"

sarcle
16th January 2010, 03:19 AM
I'm not exactly sure but I think they use copy/paste like we do.

Sunny
16th January 2010, 05:21 AM
Here is my japanese keyboard of a laptop that I bought in japan.

http://i47.tinypic.com/258tpgx.jpg

There are only 4 special keys(circled red) to change between kanji, hiragana, katakana, wide characters and narrow characters. Notice that because of these keys the space bar button is much shorter comparing to that of english keyboards.

Also each key with a letter on it also contains a hiragana symbol, but japanese rarely use it. For the most part everybody is typing hiragana in english letters and then changing it to kanji by pressing space bar button. For example on my laptop the default input method was set to this, so if you wanted to change to writing directly in hiragana you would need to change some language settings.

So the way you input kanji on this keyboard is as follows. For example you want to input the word 都市, which means "town". In hiragana that would be とし and in english letters it is "tosi".
So first you type tosi on the keyboard by using the english letters. As the letters make syllables found in hiragana, the words will be changed into hiragana directly. So while you type t+o+s+i, what you see on the monitor will be as follows: t, と, とs, とし.
The syllables here are : to(と)+si(し).

Once you type とし、 now it is necessary to change that into the corresponding kanji. Unfortunately there are many kanjis in japanese that correspond to とし in hiragana. So you need to somehow obtain the list of all possible kanjis that can be read as tosi, and choose the one that you need. Fortunately the computer does that for you.
Once you type とし and press space bar, computer will give you his best guess on what kanji could that be. If you see that this kanji is incorrect, you can press spacebar again, and then a list of all kanji variations corresponding to とし will appear. You can scroll the list by pressing spacebar or up or down buttons and then pressing enter key to confirm your selection, pressing corresponding numeral key, or by using mouse.

Here is how it appears:

After typing t+o+s+i:

http://i49.tinypic.com/10qvxmv.jpg

Sunny
16th January 2010, 05:22 AM
After pressing spacebar once(Notice that here the best guess by computer is to not actually use kanji for this hiragana combination):

http://i45.tinypic.com/10qzyb9.jpg

After pressing spacebar again:

http://i48.tinypic.com/x41zm1.jpg

Sunny
16th January 2010, 05:23 AM
After pressing enter key:

http://i45.tinypic.com/jq43dg.jpg

spacey
16th January 2010, 05:53 AM
what do you mean by "symbols" ?

Japanese people have their own keyboard. They can type the equivalent of syllables and then press a special key that converts the syllables into kanji. I over simplified but I think you get the idea. You can do more research by yourself if you need to.

So a 6 letter word can become just one 'symbol' which is kanji ? i think i am with you , i did a search to look at a japanese keyboard but your comment convert to kanji seems to be what i wanted to know , thanks all

glow
16th January 2010, 06:23 AM
Thank you Sanakreon (http://www.idnforums.com/forums/members/sanakreon.html) for great explanation

Clotho
16th January 2010, 06:28 AM
Nice explanation Sanakreon. Rep added.

I will keep this thread in mind for the next time I am asked this question. The pictures are helpful.

An Asian keyboard isn't necessary Spacey but I am sure it is faster. If you run a version of windows you can install the appropriate Microsoft Global Input Method Editor (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/ie6/downloads/recommended/ime/default.mspx) and enter Asian (or other scripts) from your Latin keyboard. Using an IME is pretty much the same as what Sanakreon described.

Rubber Duck
16th January 2010, 09:18 AM
So the Hirigana on the Keys is just for decoration?

I might tend to agree if I did not get so many single character Hirigana Type-Ins. :rolleyes:

tee1
16th January 2010, 12:45 PM
Nice explanation Sanakreon. Rep added.

+1 thank you

touchring
16th January 2010, 01:05 PM
it's the same for s. chinese.

http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/9804/dushi.jpg

blastfromthepast
16th January 2010, 03:12 PM
Hi

I am wondering how the japanese folk can type in symbols ?

Japanese type in symbols easily.

Type in the word for phone, press space, and you get ☎.

Many more symbols can be accessed with the Japanese input method.

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/1957/denwa5el.jpg

spacey
16th January 2010, 11:29 PM
Yes rep was added , now i have a much better idea , cheers

domainguru
18th January 2010, 02:23 AM
Here is my japanese keyboard of a laptop that I bought in japan.

There are only 4 special keys(circled red) to change between kanji, hiragana, katakana, wide characters and narrow characters. Notice that because of these keys the space bar button is much shorter comparing to that of english keyboards.

Also each key with a letter on it also contains a hiragana symbol, but japanese rarely use it. For the most part everybody is typing hiragana in english letters and then changing it to kanji by pressing space bar button. For example on my laptop the default input method was set to this, so if you wanted to change to writing directly in hiragana you would need to change some language settings.

So the way you input kanji on this keyboard is as follows. For example you want to input the word 都市, which means "town". In hiragana that would be とし and in english letters it is "tosi".
So first you type tosi on the keyboard by using the english letters. As the letters make syllables found in hiragana, the words will be changed into hiragana directly. So while you type t+o+s+i, what you see on the monitor will be as follows: t, と, とs, とし.
The syllables here are : to(と)+si(し).

Once you type とし、 now it is necessary to change that into the corresponding kanji. Unfortunately there are many kanjis in japanese that correspond to とし in hiragana. So you need to somehow obtain the list of all possible kanjis that can be read as tosi, and choose the one that you need. Fortunately the computer does that for you.
Once you type とし and press space bar, computer will give you his best guess on what kanji could that be. If you see that this kanji is incorrect, you can press spacebar again, and then a list of all kanji variations corresponding to とし will appear. You can scroll the list by pressing spacebar or up or down buttons and then pressing enter key to confirm your selection, pressing corresponding numeral key, or by using mouse.

Here is how it appears:

After typing t+o+s+i:

Wow - is it that "complicated"? No wonder my "backwater" Thai IDN domains where the locals are fortunate to have the entire alphabet "there" on the keyboard get many more type-ins than a typical Japanese name....

http://teakdoor.com/Gallery/albums/userpics/10004/thai_keyboard.gif

You know, I'm beginning to think Thai IDNs aren't merely such an "exotic alternative destination for your IDN investment bucks" after all. Consider the evidence:

1) Thais love .com, very little affinity for their .th ccTLD which as everyone knows is covered in more tape than a CSI crime scene.

2) But better than that, Thais really love ".com" in Thai = ".คอม". What evidence do I have for that statement?
a) Thais speak and write Thai, not English!

b) When Thais write ".com" in website titles, or incorporate into logos, most sites use the Thai ".คอม" not the English ".com". That is even knowing that ".คอม" doesn't exist yet. Imagine when it does exist ....

c) (For you hardcore statisticians rather than lovers of "fluffy" arguments) -

A few stats from truehits.net, showing what Thais search for when they are looking for a full domain name:

น่ารักดอทคอม = 6336 searches in December 2009
narak.com = 4257 searches in December 2009
น่ารัก.com = 93 searches in December 2009

เด็กดีดอทคอม = 42533 searches in December 2009
เด็กดี.คอม = 7378 searches in December 2009
เด็กดี.com = 1689 searches in December 2009

If nothing else, this shows that Thais are very comfortable with "คอม" being *their* version of ".com", even before it exists. When they start getting used to domains that begin with Thai letters, they just will not switch to ASCII ".com" - they will type "คอม", and ".com" will go straight to the Thai history books.

So that says to me I am already losing a huge % of type-ins because Thais are typing in ".คอม", not ".com".

Add to that the type-ins being lost because of the 40% of sleepy Thais still using IE6 ......

If type-ins were bad, the potential "multipliers" wouldn't mean much. But type-ins have already doubled every year or so for the last four years.

3) For a country where Wikipedia says only 20M speak Thai, you would think search volumes would be very low compared with more populous languages .... wrong!

a) For a start, 60M people in Thailand can speak Thai, its the official language, nobody gets taught to read and write "Iisaan" in school every day. So when typing Thai into the internet, its 60M not 20M. Any Thai can tell you that.

b) For "big volume" search terms that you can compare across the major IDN languages, Thai comes out very well. For both "music" and "games" it comes out top 5 or 6 in terms of absolute search numbers. We aren't talking Bulgaria or Hindi here (no offense either language), Thais are avid searchers for popular terms. I'm not publishing results for this as its part of a larger project but check out Google Insight if you want to do your own research here.

Sorry for the rant, I just get rather tired of seeing "top IDN destinations" and nobody ever seems to mention Thai as a possibility even. The "normal suspects" are fine, each has strengths and weaknesses, but when everyone is getting in a frenzy and the prices just keep going up and up, don't forget the "exotic alternatives" like Thailand, its not just a great vacation destination :)

And btw, I'm not selling anything here. My Thai IDNs are locked up now for the next 12 months at least. If I was on a sales drive, I would have written this before the auction.

spacey
18th January 2010, 02:34 AM
I am going the thinking .jp will be more popular than .com over time, although i wonder if the japanese remember all the symbols ? ... that's the bit that worries me , i guess i mean i imagine a billbord with a internet address on it in japanese symbols , would they know what it meant i wonder by just looking

domainguru
18th January 2010, 02:41 AM
I am going the thinking .jp will be more popular than .com over time, although i wonder if the japanese remember all the symbols ? ... that's the bit that worries me , i guess i mean i imagine a billbord with a internet address on in japanese symbols , would they know what it meant i wonder

Err .... if I read you correctly, you are really asking if Japanese people can remember Japanese symbols???

If so, please ignore my post above about Thai because I don't think you are quite ready to advance beyond "IDN 101" yet .....

I did misunderstand you right? I can't quite believe anyone would ask whether Japanese people could remember their own language ..... but yikes, it certainly reads like that to me. Please correct me ASAP ..........

Clotho
18th January 2010, 03:29 AM
I see you are still referring to them as Japanese 'symbols'. I started a thread about the Japanese writing system with someone new to IDN's such as yourself in mind. You can find it here: The Japanese Writing System (http://www.idnforums.com/forums/24826-the-japanese-writing-system.html) You might want to study that for a bit.

As to your comment: Yes the Japanese can read and remember Japanese. That is the entire point of names in their language. They understand Japanese much better than English as can be expected. The people who live in the place called 'Japan' speak,write and read 'Japanese'

Do the Japanese recognize and understand what a domain is in Japanese?... Yes they understand. They have been branding their websites with Japanese domains for years now.

Please dig into the archives of this forum a bit. All will be made clear to you with a bit of research.

touchring
18th January 2010, 03:35 AM
I am going the thinking .jp will be more popular than .com over time, although i wonder if the japanese remember all the symbols ? ... that's the bit that worries me , i guess i mean i imagine a billbord with a internet address on it in japanese symbols , would they know what it meant i wonder by just looking

Yeah, they have got to memorize the characters in elementary school starting with their own names. :)

spacey
18th January 2010, 04:16 AM
Err .... if I read you correctly, you are really asking if Japanese people can remember Japanese symbols???

If so, please ignore my post above about Thai because I don't think you are quite ready to advance beyond "IDN 101" yet .....

I did misunderstand you right? I can't quite believe anyone would ask whether Japanese people could remember their own language ..... but yikes, it certainly reads like that to me. Please correct me ASAP ..........

You guys need to mellow a bit , i am asking simple questions , and dont really like way you guys are answering , the way i read the earlier parts of the post was on the keyboard , they type in letters for a word which are then converted in to symbols/characters (idn.bz uses the term symbols) so my way of thinking if every word becomes a character then it is a lot to remember , why wouldn't i ask that , in english we type a word and it does not change , so to me this is quite different

Help is appreciated , but attitude is not , you seem to have been studying this for a while , me on this forum for one week and already put off asking any more questions , thanks anyway but i'll leave it at that , hoo roo (aussie for see ya )

AmyCheng
18th January 2010, 04:32 AM
... a billbord with a internet address on it in japanese symbols , would they know what it meant i wonder by just looking

although there are some japanese who can only read the alphabets (hiragana and katakana) and not 漢字 (kanji, chinese characters from the tang dynasty) because of lack of education, i think it is safe for you to assume that your intended audience will be able to understand the 漢字 (symbols).

amy cheng

Clotho
18th January 2010, 04:49 AM
You guys need to mellow a bit , i am asking simple questions , and dont really like way you guys are answering , the way i read the earlier parts of the post was on the keyboard , they type in letters for a word which are then converted in to symbols/characters (idn.bz uses the term symbols) so my way of thinking if every word becomes a character then it is a lot to remember , why wouldn't i ask that , in english we type a word and it does not change , so to me this is quite different

Help is appreciated , but attitude is not , you seem to have been studying this for a while , me on this forum for one week and already put off asking any more questions , thanks anyway but i'll leave it at that , hoo roo (aussie for see ya )

What you are experiencing is a combination of things. By it's very nature educating others requires patience so some of us may be lacking in that department. On your end you will need a bit of a thick skin to endure this impatience. You have already put pride aside and at least are asking questions so I commend you for that. Many are incapable of even getting that far. Also it appeared that you were asking something that seemed self-evident and elementary but I think it is more a failure for us to communicate.

If I understand you correctly you are asking how could anyone possibly remember the many thousands of Kanji required to be fluent in Japanese? Thousands are required since each equals a word or meaning. You are having trouble fathoming this since you only have to remember 26 letters...

The truth is that you too have memorized many thousands of words which are the combinations of these 26 characters. Also there is some logic in the way Kanji are drawn with simpler Kanji incorporated into more complex Kanji. It may seem difficult for you to comprehend but please consider that English is as difficult to fathom for the Japanese. If you put the shoe on the other foot it may look like this:

"All these English 'words' look alike! They are all formed of the same 'symbols'! They don't even follow their own rules! How could anyone understand this?"

Rest assured that to the Japanese, the Japanese language is both intuitive and something to be proud of. All the more reason to have Japanese domain names.

mulligan
18th January 2010, 05:04 AM
Good post Clotho

Clotho
18th January 2010, 05:09 AM
although there are some japanese who can only read the alphabets (hiragana and katakana) and not 漢字 (kanji, chinese characters from the tang dynasty) because of lack of education, i think it is safe for you to assume that your intended audience will be able to understand the 漢字 (symbols).

amy cheng

Considering how highly regarded and important education is to the Japanese people, I would expect the number of Japanese who could not read Kanji to be small. Probably insignificant.

Kanji is taught in school beginning in the 6th grade. The first Kanji taught are the simplest and they become more complex as the years go by. You can see them here: Elementary Kanji (http://www.massmind.org/images/www/hobby_elec/e_japanese1_1.htm)

From a domianers point of view all of these elementary kanji are quite desireable. I think you will find they are all registered.

AmyCheng
18th January 2010, 05:31 AM
... I would expect the number of Japanese who could not read Kanji to be small. Probably insignificant.

exactly.

amy cheng

spacey
18th January 2010, 05:42 AM
i doubt many english speakers would remember the equivalent of characters to words for the simple fact half the kids don't seem to be able to spell english words these days (bad teachers?) when they leave school

Clotho
18th January 2010, 05:58 AM
i doubt many english speakers would remember the equivalent of characters to words for the simple fact half the kids don't seem to be able to spell english words these days (bad teachers?) when they leave school

Haha! Good point. I was discussing this with a friend just last night. He was lamenting how poor his daughter's spelling was. I asked him if she was an avid reader. He assured me that she was but that she had become spoiled by the 'spellcheck' on her Macbook.

I have often lamented the fact that 'penmanship' is no longer taught in schools and the result is that most peoples handwriting (including my own) is atrocious. Same sort of thing. No penmanship required if you type most everything. No proper spelling required if you rely on spellcheck.

Ironically this goes a bit full circle with regards to Kanji. Students are still taught the brushstrokes that make up each character. A Japanese version of penmanship if you will. What this does do is reinforce the logic, flow, and design of the individual Kanji. It has even been elevated to an artform called shodo or shodou (romaji for us gaijin) thus reinforcing it's importance. Some of the things we discard (penmanship) they embrace (shodo).

I came across this which I think may help you to understand why Romaji is so flawed. Be sure to scroll down to the 'Be very careful with Kanji symbols (http://www.dsfy.com/kanji_symbol_character_translation.htm)' part. Fujin is not always equal to Fujin! I am particular to this quote: "Just as Japanese people love to use English symbols and phrases on T-shirt, logo or tattoo design, westerners have started using Japanese Kanji Symbols for their own design needs." so just like you may see Kanji commonly as a tattoo and not understand its meaning the Japanese use Latin characters as a sort of 'cool design'. Just because we use them for 'design' does that mean we are 'Turning Japanese (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEmJ-VWPDM4)'?

Ok, Even the Japanese native refers to them as 'symbols' so I have to give you a point for that one.

sarcle
18th January 2010, 07:05 AM
I came across this which I think may help you to understand why Romaji is so flawed.

But my question is will Romaji die? I'm assuming lack of awareness and romanji our worst enemy right now in domain names. Will it go the way of pinyin especially after the release of IDN.IDN? I'm just going from a wikipedia quote.

The primary usage of rōmaji (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R%C5%8Dmaji) is on computers and other electronic devices that do not support the display or input of Japanese characters

My understanding and perception is romaji's true relevancy for computers is because modern technology doesn't allow for all Japanese characters. As this is rapidly happening will the Japanese adapt a more Chinese-ish keyboard on their computers; where all these extra steps are really unnecessary? Not to mention looks like a pain in the ass. And it's not a "true" Japanese language. I'm guessing never underestimate Japanese pride. ;)

Clotho
18th January 2010, 07:57 AM
But my question is will Romaji die? I'm assuming lack of awareness and romanji our worst enemy right now in domain names. Will it go the way of pinyin especially after the release of IDN.IDN? I'm just going from a wikipedia quote.

My understanding and perception is romaji's true relevancy for computers is because modern technology doesn't allow for all Japanese characters. As this is rapidly happening will the Japanese adapt a more Chinese-ish keyboard on their computers; where all these extra steps are really unnecessary? Not to mention looks like a pain in the ass. And it's not a "true" Japanese language. I'm guessing never underestimate Japanese pride. ;)

This is a really good question. It is so good that I have been considering it for a very long time. I guess you have as well.

Please note how conversation in relation to domains becomes specific to culture. How this plays out in every culture is unique to each.

You brought up Pinyin both as an analogue and as if it were in decline. I was not aware that Pinyin is in decline but I will look into it. If you have any supporting evidence I would be very interested.

Your statement: "will Romaji die? I'm assuming lack of awareness and romanji our worst enemy right now in domain names."

I guess we see things differently. I have never seen Romaji as a threat or even the status quo for that matter. In fact I consider Romaji to be an ally. In many ways Japan represents the very best reasons why native language domains are essential.

Lack of awareness is just shorthand for our impatience and our particular moment in time. The benefits of IDN will create awareness in its own time, as long as those benefits are undeniable.

If you look at the nature of Romaji itself is is plain to see that the flow of information works best in one direction. Old school domainers will find solace in the fact that much of their hard won knowledge is truth. The radio test is a valid measurement. Romaji fails the radio test because it is much better at turning Latin into Japanese than it is at converting Japanese into Latin.

Romaji will never be authoritative.

IDN's are authoritative and pass the radio test. IDN's are memorable. IDN's are much more memorable than any QR code. More memorable than Romaji. They can be branded around as proven by thousands of existing websites, branded around Japanese.com. IDN's have an SEO advantage. In short they exceed all other current possibilities. Their benefits are undeniable.

Lack of awareness is not an enemy it is a condition. It just happens to be the current condition. Ironically, it is in direct relation to the opportunity. When everyone knows what we hold true, the opportunity to profit will be held in thrall.

touchring
18th January 2010, 08:15 AM
You brought up Pinyin both as an analogue and as if it were in decline. I was not aware that Pinyin is in decline but I will look into it. If you have any supporting evidence I would be very interested.

i believe that pinyin ime is getting more popular.

domainguru
18th January 2010, 09:09 AM

As it happens, I have never studied Japanese, but have always just "assumed" Japanese people have a language they are able to read and remember. Wouldn't be much point having a language otherwise would there.

I didn't really need any formal forum education to come to that conclusion, it was just a wild guess on my part.

Rubber Duck
18th January 2010, 09:19 AM
Whilst many Japanese do speak English a presumption that they would understand the language is frankly insulting, not only to them but to other cultures. China is after all now their No. 1 Trading partner.

I see you are still referring to them as Japanese 'symbols'. I started a thread about the Japanese writing system with someone new to IDN's such as yourself in mind. You can find it here: The Japanese Writing System (http://www.idnforums.com/forums/24826-the-japanese-writing-system.html) You might want to study that for a bit.

As to your comment: Yes the Japanese can read and remember Japanese. That is the entire point of names in their language. They understand Japanese much better than English as can be expected. The people who live in the place called 'Japan' speak,write and read 'Japanese'

Do the Japanese recognize and understand what a domain is in Japanese?... Yes they understand. They have been branding their websites with Japanese domains for years now.

Please dig into the archives of this forum a bit. All will be made clear to you with a bit of research.

sarcle
18th January 2010, 12:12 PM

No I didn't mean in use. They both serve obvious functions. I meant in how domains will be advertised and used. I'm thinking of domains only.

I see it beginning to happen in Japanese site already with websites promoting IDN.com. But with browser usage, IE6 still holds a signifigant footing in Asia although it's also dropping from what I've seen and the lack of awareness that you can type Japanese into the address bar it's not feasable to promote IDN on a large scale until IDN.IDN come along. It seems the Japanese have just been "conditioned" to search. This process can be unlearned I'm sure.

Pinyin and Romaji will serve their purpose by allowing multi-national companies to continue serving people overseas (latin-based speakers) while I see Chinese and Japanese taking it's place for the native people in domains. As it's just easier to remember and recall from memory as there are three types of Romaji.

Lack of awareness is not an enemy it is a condition. It just happens to be the current condition. Ironically, it is in direct relation to the opportunity. When everyone knows what we hold true, the opportunity to profit will be held in thrall.

Nice way of putting it. I completely agree. Thanks for the explaination. Rep added.

Whilst many Japanese do speak English a presumption that they would understand the language is frankly insulting, not only to them but to other cultures. China is after all now their No. 1 Trading partner.

I agree. It's embarrassing even for me to see the bastardization of their language because of political reasons. I see the people rejecting this fairly quickly in domain names once they realize that, "Oh hey, I can type-in my language and know exactly where I'm going."

alpha
18th January 2010, 12:38 PM
Kanji is taught in school beginning in the 6th grade. The first Kanji taught are the simplest and they become more complex as the years go by. You can see them here: Elementary Kanji (http://www.massmind.org/images/www/hobby_elec/e_japanese1_1.htm)

From a domianers point of view all of these elementary kanji are quite desireable. I think you will find they are all registered.

as of now:

available in dot jp

弱 weak Second Grade Kanji
方 direction Second Grade Kanji
遠 far  Second Grade Kanji
鳴 chirp Second Grade Kanji
帰 return home Second Grade Kanji
止 stop Second Grade Kanji
汽 steam Second Grade Kanji
引 pull Second Grade Kanji
世 world Third Grade Kanji
代 substitute Third Grade Kanji
列 row Third Grade Kanji
勉 diligence Third Grade Kanji
去 leave Third Grade Kanji
向 face(v.) Third Grade Kanji
寒 cold Third Grade Kanji
帳 account book Third Grade Kanji
悲 sad Third Grade Kanji
持 hold Third Grade Kanji
暗 dark Third Grade Kanji
植 plant Third Grade Kanji
横 side Third Grade Kanji
秒 second Third Grade Kanji
笛 whistle Third Grade Kanji
第 ordinal number prefix Third Grade Kanji
練 practice Third Grade Kanji
苦 suffer Third Grade Kanji
落 fall Third Grade Kanji
負 lose Third Grade Kanji
返 return Third Grade Kanji
追 follow Third Grade Kanji
階 floor of a building Third Grade Kanji
題 topic Third Grade Kanji
争 conflict Fourth Grade Kanji
令 orders Fourth Grade Kanji
以 since Fourth Grade Kanji
候 climate Fourth Grade Kanji
停 halt Fourth Grade Kanji
側 side Fourth Grade Kanji
別 separate Fourth Grade Kanji
副 vice- Fourth Grade Kanji
努 toil Fourth Grade Kanji
各 each Fourth Grade Kanji
唱 chant Fourth Grade Kanji
固 harden Fourth Grade Kanji
失 lose Fourth Grade Kanji
官 government official Fourth Grade Kanji
害 harm Fourth Grade Kanji
察 guess Fourth Grade Kanji
差 distinction Fourth Grade Kanji
径 diameter Fourth Grade Kanji
徒 junior Fourth Grade Kanji
折 fold Fourth Grade Kanji
挙 raise Fourth Grade Kanji
敗 failure Fourth Grade Kanji
散 scatter Fourth Grade Kanji
昨 previous Fourth Grade Kanji
最 most Fourth Grade Kanji
械 contraption Fourth Grade Kanji
標 signpost Fourth Grade Kanji
欠 lack Fourth Grade Kanji
残 remainder Fourth Grade Kanji
浅 shallow Fourth Grade Kanji
的 target Fourth Grade Kanji
票 ballot Fourth Grade Kanji
紀 chronicle Fourth Grade Kanji
置 put Fourth Grade Kanji
臣 retainer Fourth Grade Kanji
覚 memorize Fourth Grade Kanji
訓 instruction Fourth Grade Kanji
課 section Fourth Grade Kanji
辞 resign Fourth Grade Kanji
辺 environs Fourth Grade Kanji
類 sort Fourth Grade Kanji
件 affair Fifth Grade Kanji
似 becoming Fifth Grade Kanji
余 too much Fifth Grade Kanji
俵 straw bag Fifth Grade Kanji
制 control Fifth Grade Kanji
則 rule Fifth Grade Kanji
厚 thick Fifth Grade Kanji
均 level Fifth Grade Kanji
境 boundary Fifth Grade Kanji
寄 approach Fifth Grade Kanji
常 normal Fifth Grade Kanji
序 preface Fifth Grade Kanji
往 journey Fifth Grade Kanji
復 repeating Fifth Grade Kanji
応 respond Fifth Grade Kanji
態 condition Fifth Grade Kanji
慣 accustomed Fifth Grade Kanji
承 acquiesce Fifth Grade Kanji
採 pick Fifth Grade Kanji
損 loss Fifth Grade Kanji
故 circumstances Fifth Grade Kanji
敵 enemy Fifth Grade Kanji
断 cut off Fifth Grade Kanji
旧 old times Fifth Grade Kanji
暴 outburst Fifth Grade Kanji
構 construct Fifth Grade Kanji
犯 crime Fifth Grade Kanji
破 rend Fifth Grade Kanji
祖 ancestor Fifth Grade Kanji
絶 discontinue Fifth Grade Kanji
複 duplicate Fifth Grade Kanji
規 rule Fifth Grade Kanji
評 evaluate Fifth Grade Kanji
謝 apologize Fifth Grade Kanji
識 discriminating Fifth Grade Kanji
貧 poor Fifth Grade Kanji
迷 astray Fifth Grade Kanji
退 retreat Fifth Grade Kanji
逆 inverted Fifth Grade Kanji
過 go beyond Fifth Grade Kanji
適 suitable Fifth Grade Kanji
防 prevent Fifth Grade Kanji
険 precipitous Fifth Grade Kanji
際 occasion Fifth Grade Kanji
並 row Sixth Grade Kanji
亡 deceased Sixth Grade Kanji
供 offer Sixth Grade Kanji
俳 actor Sixth Grade Kanji
冊 counter for books Sixth Grade Kanji
刻 engrave Sixth Grade Kanji
勤 diligence Sixth Grade Kanji
厳 strict Sixth Grade Kanji
后 queen Sixth Grade Kanji
吸 suck Sixth Grade Kanji
垂 droop Sixth Grade Kanji
域 range Sixth Grade Kanji
存 suppose Sixth Grade Kanji
宇 eaves Sixth Grade Kanji
宗 religion Sixth Grade Kanji
密 secrecy Sixth Grade Kanji
寸 measurement Sixth Grade Kanji
幕 curtain Sixth Grade Kanji
庁 government office Sixth Grade Kanji
律 rhythm Sixth Grade Kanji
従 obey Sixth Grade Kanji
忘 forget Sixth Grade Kanji
批 criticism Sixth Grade Kanji
担 shouldering Sixth Grade Kanji
拝 worship Sixth Grade Kanji
拡 broaden Sixth Grade Kanji
捨 throw away Sixth Grade Kanji
推 infer Sixth Grade Kanji
揮 command Sixth Grade Kanji
晩 nightfall Sixth Grade Kanji
枚 sheet of... Sixth Grade Kanji
棒 rod Sixth Grade Kanji
権 rights Sixth Grade Kanji
沿 run alongside Sixth Grade Kanji
班 group Sixth Grade Kanji
異 uncommon Sixth Grade Kanji
疑 doubt Sixth Grade Kanji
盟 alliance Sixth Grade Kanji
穀 cereal Sixth Grade Kanji
縦 vertical Sixth Grade Kanji
署 government office Sixth Grade Kanji
翌 the following Sixth Grade Kanji
臨 lookover Sixth Grade Kanji
至 climax Sixth Grade Kanji
著 renowned Sixth Grade Kanji
裁 judge Sixth Grade Kanji
覧 perusal Sixth Grade Kanji
討 chastise Sixth Grade Kanji
誤 mistake Sixth Grade Kanji
諸 everything Sixth Grade Kanji
閉 closed Sixth Grade Kanji
閣 tall Sixth Grade Kanji
降 descend Sixth Grade Kanji
陛 majesty Sixth Grade Kanji
障 hurt Sixth Grade Kanji
難 difficult Sixth Grade Kanji

available in com

available in net

矢 arrow Second Grade Kanji
顔 face Second Grade Kanji
野 field Second Grade Kanji
池 pond Second Grade Kanji
羽 feather Second Grade Kanji
午 noon Second Grade Kanji
両 both Third Grade Kanji
予 in advance Third Grade Kanji
倍 double Third Grade Kanji
列 row Third Grade Kanji
勉 diligence Third Grade Kanji
反 anti- Third Grade Kanji
坂 slope Third Grade Kanji
委 committee Third Grade Kanji
平 flat Third Grade Kanji
役 role Third Grade Kanji
急 hurry Third Grade Kanji
悲 sad Third Grade Kanji
拾 pick up Third Grade Kanji
指 finger Third Grade Kanji
放 release Third Grade Kanji
整 put in order Third Grade Kanji
族 tribe Third Grade Kanji
暑 hot Third Grade Kanji
柱 pillar Third Grade Kanji
泳 swim Third Grade Kanji
流 stream Third Grade Kanji
消 extinguish Third Grade Kanji
皿 dish Third Grade Kanji
研 sharpen Third Grade Kanji
秒 second Third Grade Kanji
笛 whistle Third Grade Kanji
落 fall Third Grade Kanji
負 lose Third Grade Kanji
返 return Third Grade Kanji
追 follow Third Grade Kanji
運 carry Third Grade Kanji
部 part Third Grade Kanji
配 distribute Third Grade Kanji
重 heavy Third Grade Kanji
院 institution Third Grade Kanji
題 topic Third Grade Kanji
争 conflict Fourth Grade Kanji
仲 go-between Fourth Grade Kanji
低 low Fourth Grade Kanji
候 climate Fourth Grade Kanji
停 halt Fourth Grade Kanji
側 side Fourth Grade Kanji
刷 printing Fourth Grade Kanji
努 toil Fourth Grade Kanji
労 labor Fourth Grade Kanji
勇 courage Fourth Grade Kanji
卒 graduate Fourth Grade Kanji
協 cooperation Fourth Grade Kanji
単 simple Fourth Grade Kanji
司 director Fourth Grade Kanji
告 tell Fourth Grade Kanji
囲 surround Fourth Grade Kanji
固 harden Fourth Grade Kanji
失 lose Fourth Grade Kanji
害 harm Fourth Grade Kanji
察 guess Fourth Grade Kanji
巣 nest Fourth Grade Kanji
帯 sash Fourth Grade Kanji
底 bottom Fourth Grade Kanji
府 urban prefecture Fourth Grade Kanji
径 diameter Fourth Grade Kanji
徒 junior Fourth Grade Kanji
戦 war Fourth Grade Kanji
挙 raise Fourth Grade Kanji
敗 failure Fourth Grade Kanji
散 scatter Fourth Grade Kanji
昨 previous Fourth Grade Kanji
末 end Fourth Grade Kanji
札 tag Fourth Grade Kanji
械 contraption Fourth Grade Kanji
極 poles Fourth Grade Kanji
欠 lack Fourth Grade Kanji
歴 curriculum Fourth Grade Kanji
残 remainder Fourth Grade Kanji
殺 kill Fourth Grade Kanji
氏 family name Fourth Grade Kanji
治 govern Fourth Grade Kanji
泣 cry Fourth Grade Kanji
浅 shallow Fourth Grade Kanji
満 full Fourth Grade Kanji
然 so Fourth Grade Kanji
焼 bake Fourth Grade Kanji
積 accumulate Fourth Grade Kanji
紀 chronicle Fourth Grade Kanji
約 promise Fourth Grade Kanji
置 put Fourth Grade Kanji
脈 vein Fourth Grade Kanji
腸 intestines Fourth Grade Kanji
臣 retainer Fourth Grade Kanji
芽 bud Fourth Grade Kanji
覚 memorize Fourth Grade Kanji
観 observe Fourth Grade Kanji
訓 instruction Fourth Grade Kanji
試 test Fourth Grade Kanji
議 deliberation Fourth Grade Kanji
貯 savings Fourth Grade Kanji
賞 prize Fourth Grade Kanji
輪 wheel Fourth Grade Kanji
辞 resign Fourth Grade Kanji
辺 environs Fourth Grade Kanji
達 attain Fourth Grade Kanji
選 choose Fourth Grade Kanji
郡 county Fourth Grade Kanji
隊 group Fourth Grade Kanji
順 obey Fourth Grade Kanji
願 request Fourth Grade Kanji
仮 sham Fifth Grade Kanji
似 becoming Fifth Grade Kanji
俵 straw bag Fifth Grade Kanji
判 judge Fifth Grade Kanji
則 rule Fifth Grade Kanji
効 effect Fifth Grade Kanji
務 duty Fifth Grade Kanji
勢 power Fifth Grade Kanji
厚 thick Fifth Grade Kanji
句 phrase Fifth Grade Kanji
営 manage Fifth Grade Kanji
因 cause Fifth Grade Kanji
圧 pressure Fifth Grade Kanji
均 level Fifth Grade Kanji
基 foundation Fifth Grade Kanji
境 boundary Fifth Grade Kanji
導 guide Fifth Grade Kanji
属 belong Fifth Grade Kanji
序 preface Fifth Grade Kanji
弁 valve Fifth Grade Kanji
往 journey Fifth Grade Kanji
復 repeating Fifth Grade Kanji
徳 virtue Fifth Grade Kanji
恩 grace Fifth Grade Kanji
態 condition Fifth Grade Kanji
慣 accustomed Fifth Grade Kanji
承 acquiesce Fifth Grade Kanji
授 instruct Fifth Grade Kanji
提 present Fifth Grade Kanji
損 loss Fifth Grade Kanji
政 politics Fifth Grade Kanji
故 circumstances Fifth Grade Kanji
敵 enemy Fifth Grade Kanji
断 cut off Fifth Grade Kanji
旧 old times Fifth Grade Kanji
暴 outburst Fifth Grade Kanji
条 clause Fifth Grade Kanji
枝 branch Fifth Grade Kanji
格 status Fifth Grade Kanji
検 examine Fifth Grade Kanji
構 construct Fifth Grade Kanji
液 fluid Fifth Grade Kanji
混 mix Fifth Grade Kanji
減 decrease Fifth Grade Kanji
測 fathom Fifth Grade Kanji
準 standard Fifth Grade Kanji
災 disaster Fifth Grade Kanji
燃 burn Fifth Grade Kanji
犯 crime Fifth Grade Kanji
状 form Fifth Grade Kanji
独 alone Fifth Grade Kanji
率 rate Fifth Grade Kanji
現 appear Fifth Grade Kanji
略 abbreviation Fifth Grade Kanji
益 benefit Fifth Grade Kanji
破 rend Fifth Grade Kanji
築 fabricate Fifth Grade Kanji
精 refined Fifth Grade Kanji
絶 discontinue Fifth Grade Kanji
綿 cotton Fifth Grade Kanji
績 exploits Fifth Grade Kanji
罪 guilt Fifth Grade Kanji
群 flock Fifth Grade Kanji
耕 till Fifth Grade Kanji
興 entertain Fifth Grade Kanji
複 duplicate Fifth Grade Kanji
規 rule Fifth Grade Kanji
評 evaluate Fifth Grade Kanji
識 discriminating Fifth Grade Kanji
護 safeguard Fifth Grade Kanji
貧 poor Fifth Grade Kanji
責 blame Fifth Grade Kanji
賛 approve Fifth Grade Kanji
輸 transport Fifth Grade Kanji
述 mention Fifth Grade Kanji
退 retreat Fifth Grade Kanji
逆 inverted Fifth Grade Kanji
過 go beyond Fifth Grade Kanji
適 suitable Fifth Grade Kanji
鉱 mineral Fifth Grade Kanji
防 prevent Fifth Grade Kanji
限 limit Fifth Grade Kanji
険 precipitous Fifth Grade Kanji
際 occasion Fifth Grade Kanji
雑 miscellaneous Fifth Grade Kanji
非 negative Fifth Grade Kanji
領 territory Fifth Grade Kanji
額 amount Fifth Grade Kanji
飼 domesticate Fifth Grade Kanji
並 row Sixth Grade Kanji
亡 deceased Sixth Grade Kanji
俳 actor Sixth Grade Kanji
処 dispose Sixth Grade Kanji
刻 engrave Sixth Grade Kanji
勤 diligence Sixth Grade Kanji
危 dangerous Sixth Grade Kanji
厳 strict Sixth Grade Kanji
収 take in Sixth Grade Kanji
否 negate Sixth Grade Kanji
吸 suck Sixth Grade Kanji
呼 call Sixth Grade Kanji
垂 droop Sixth Grade Kanji
奮 stirred up Sixth Grade Kanji
宇 eaves Sixth Grade Kanji
宣 proclaim Sixth Grade Kanji
寸 measurement Sixth Grade Kanji
尊 revered Sixth Grade Kanji
尺 measure of length Sixth Grade Kanji
層 stratum Sixth Grade Kanji
己 self Sixth Grade Kanji
巻 scroll Sixth Grade Kanji
幕 curtain Sixth Grade Kanji
幼 infancy Sixth Grade Kanji
庁 government office Sixth Grade Kanji
延 prolong Sixth Grade Kanji
従 obey Sixth Grade Kanji
忘 forget Sixth Grade Kanji
憲 constitution Sixth Grade Kanji
担 shouldering Sixth Grade Kanji
拝 worship Sixth Grade Kanji
拡 broaden Sixth Grade Kanji
推 infer Sixth Grade Kanji
敬 respect Sixth Grade Kanji
晩 nightfall Sixth Grade Kanji
暮 livelihood Sixth Grade Kanji
朗 melodious Sixth Grade Kanji
染 dye Sixth Grade Kanji
模 imitation Sixth Grade Kanji
沿 run alongside Sixth Grade Kanji
済 settle Sixth Grade Kanji
激 violent Sixth Grade Kanji
疑 doubt Sixth Grade Kanji
盟 alliance Sixth Grade Kanji
砂 sand Sixth Grade Kanji
磁 magnet Sixth Grade Kanji
穀 cereal Sixth Grade Kanji
策 scheme Sixth Grade Kanji
納 settlement Sixth Grade Kanji
縦 vertical Sixth Grade Kanji
縮 shrink Sixth Grade Kanji
翌 the following Sixth Grade Kanji
肺 lung Sixth Grade Kanji
背 back Sixth Grade Kanji
腹 abdomen Sixth Grade Kanji
臓 entrails Sixth Grade Kanji
臨 lookover Sixth Grade Kanji
蒸 steam Sixth Grade Kanji
蚕 silkworm Sixth Grade Kanji
裁 judge Sixth Grade Kanji
補 supplement Sixth Grade Kanji
視 look at Sixth Grade Kanji
討 chastise Sixth Grade Kanji
訪 visit Sixth Grade Kanji
認 recognize Sixth Grade Kanji
誤 mistake Sixth Grade Kanji
諸 everything Sixth Grade Kanji
警 guard against Sixth Grade Kanji
遺 bequeath Sixth Grade Kanji
郷 home town Sixth Grade Kanji
閉 closed Sixth Grade Kanji
閣 tall Sixth Grade Kanji
降 descend Sixth Grade Kanji
陛 majesty Sixth Grade Kanji
除 exclude Sixth Grade Kanji
障 hurt Sixth Grade Kanji

notes:
(i) reserved JPs excluded from list
(ii) coms & nets variant blocked excluded from list
(iii) low numbers of available coms in some cases may be to do with the overlap in use with Chinese.. i.e so just because it's taken in com, doesn't equate to it being a good idea to take it in Japanese (dot jp)
(iv) do you own research!

source (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ky%C5%8Diku_kanji)

Clotho
18th January 2010, 02:14 PM
Wow, To be honest I wasn't looking past the first year Kanji on the page I linked but I am rather suprised so many 2nd and 3rd year Kanji are still available at all. In 2000 when the testbed started these were some of the first to go and this was mined much deeper than what you are showing now. The idea of a single character representing an entire word seemed like a domainers dream come true. I spent a fair bit of time mining these lists back then and I used to hold many of these myself. I have dropped the majority of them in the past 9 years. Naturally .jp wasn't in play yet but .net sure was and .org too.

Some great terms still available here but they are really just great brand able domains more than anything else. Single character Kanji aren't used very often and it usually takes at least 2 Kanji to form a real word. I did keep this one though 生.com. I was very happy to see it used as a single character on many cans of beer last time I was in Japan.

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/4249/kirindraft.jpg

You have to love a country who has a character that means both 'life' and 'draft beer'.

Clotho
18th January 2010, 02:35 PM
No I didn't mean in use. They both serve obvious functions. I meant in how domains will be advertised and used. I'm thinking of domains only.

I see it beginning to happen in Japanese site already with websites promoting IDN.com. But with browser usage, IE6 still holds a signifigant footing in Asia although it's also dropping from what I've seen and the lack of awareness that you can type Japanese into the address bar it's not feasable to promote IDN on a large scale until IDN.IDN come along. It seems the Japanese have just been "conditioned" to search. This process can be unlearned I'm sure.

Ok, Now I understand you. I think you are correct that it won't come into broad awareness until IDN.IDN. Currently the most common methods of advertising a website in Japan is either by showing a search term in a search bar (thus implying you will find the site if you search for this term) and the QR codes.

The search box method is flawed because you are always exposing your customer to 9 other potential sites in the list and search engines have been known to change results for any given term. Heck your competition could hijack your campaign with just some good SEO work. The reason the search box method is most common atm is because it is at least memorable. (the search terms are in Japanese)

QR codes are flawed because they don't pass the radio test and they aren't memorable. You can't easily share a QR code with your friend over the phone.

Romaji and Latin character domains fail because they usually don't pass the radio test either and aren't memorable.

The only solution that has everything going for it are IDN's.

It isn't a matter of 'if', it is a matter of 'when'.

spacey
18th January 2010, 10:39 PM
i regged qrmobile/com a little while ago , the other day i noticed most of the other generic extensions were now taken , i hope they become popular , i also have qrmultimedia , with better phones that can read the codes they may be a new advertising tool ? ..... even if they dont pass the radio test

sarcle
18th January 2010, 10:56 PM
with better phones that can read the codes they may be a new advertising tool ? ..... even if they dont pass the radio test

They already are used as advertising. I've already recieved several for websites I manage from Google directly.

They will however never replace an address. It's like saying a barcode was going to replace house addresses IRL. How long have barcodes been around? How would you tell someone to get to an address or business and have them remember it? Addresses while they have been updated have been around since there have been locations. This will never change and always be needed.

spacey
18th January 2010, 11:35 PM
they are not mainstream yet (in australia) , that's why i hope they do take off , i am not saying they will replace anything , i am saying it adds another dimension to the usual print ads , yes i am aware that google is promoting them , microsoft are trying their own codes i believe , as someone who owns domains with the term 'qr' .....of course i hope they take off , in my blog site worldne.ws there is a video of a building in japan with qr codes all over it

sarcle
18th January 2010, 11:41 PM
they are not mainstream yet (in australia) , that's why i hope they do take off , i am not saying they will replace anything , i am saying it adds another dimension to the usual print ads , yes i am aware that google is promoting them , microsoft are trying their own codes i believe , as someone who owns domains with the term 'qr' .....of course i hope they take off , in my blog site worldne.ws there is a video of a building in japan with qr codes all over it

And that has to do with the Japanese language, domains, and type-ins how? Congrats for still registering Ascii. We are moving on here.

IDNCowboy
19th January 2010, 12:13 AM

I would suggest studying alot of the posts in 2005. You will find a wealth of information.. So far it seems that your knowledge in IDNs is nil. Instead of seeming like a professional domainer you seem like a newbie. ;-)

QR codes are VERY popular in Japan. Hopefully with Japanese domains taking off QR codes will be less important.

Remember the Cue Cat at Radio shack? It was a scanner that read barcodes that would take you to websites. Why would you want to carry that bulky ugly looking thing when you can just go to the easily accessible website.

It is similar to QR codes. However the camera phones read them there. ;) Japanese people should benefit greatly from these native language domains.

sarcle
19th January 2010, 12:17 AM
Remember the Cue Cat at Radio shack?

I have a bag full of them. Unopened. lol. How much are these relics going for on Ebay?

IDNCowboy
19th January 2010, 12:37 AM
I have a bag full of them. Unopened. lol. How much are these relics going for on Ebay?

Tons and only one has two bids on it.

Thats all Folks ;-)

R.I.P. cuecat barcode readers in the U.S. - We remember the domain names..

QR codes should become less popular once japanese urls go mainstream. We'll see ;-). It will become the "In" thing with japanese youth.

blastfromthepast
19th January 2010, 12:42 AM
http://www.joelonsoftware.com/pictures/Cue_Cat.jpg
http://www.joelonsoftware.com/pictures/Cue_Cat_Barcode.jpg

1. This thing is not solving a problem.

I've racked my brain, and I've tried to figure out why I would want their cat chasin' my mouse around the desk. I came up with two "problems" that it solves:

1) typing URLs is hard. As if. Going to the Altoids web site is not a hard problem that I need solved. We're talking 7 characters to type, here.
2) magazines can't prove to advertisers that people actually look at their ads and go to the URLs mentioned in the ad.

http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000037.html

Clotho
19th January 2010, 01:56 AM
Go easy on Spacey. He has already admitted that he is new. If we answer his questions well then maybe they will be asked only once.

Although QR codes are still prevalent in Japan some feel that they are in decline there, as per this article: Where have all the QR codes gone? (http://www.japaninc.com/node/4018)

sarcle
19th January 2010, 02:38 AM
If we answer his questions well then maybe they will be asked only once.

Correct. I speak, read, and type American but I have no idea what English is. :yes:

This thread might as well been titled, "Does the Asian people from the eastern land of Japan understand Japanese?"

Although, it did bring out some good conversation and information. I just don't understand how someone can be that lost. Just trying to save people a few dinero before they dive in head first.

You've provided some awesome insight Clotho and are a great asset to this forum. I just hope a few lurkers take notice.

spacey
19th January 2010, 03:30 AM
Correct. I speak, read, and type American but I have no idea what English is. :yes:

This thread might as well been titled, "Does the Asian people from the eastern land of Japan understand Japanese?"

Although, it did bring out some good conversation and information. I just don't understand how someone can be that lost. Just trying to save people a few dinero before they dive in head first.

You've provided some awesome insight Clotho and are a great asset to this forum. I just hope a few lurkers take notice.

Dude if you cant understand the context of which the question was intended , that's not my problem, AmyCheng answered it in the context of what of was trying to ask and few others understood that i was meaning i was amazed that they can only because of what i see coming out of the schools these days , but you seem to want make it about something else ?

Unsure why your attitiude is the way it is , and if i wish to mention qr codes in a thread i started ,,,,,,, i will , you do have the option of not reading or participating in this thread , so stop giving me your unwanted rants

sarcle
19th January 2010, 03:45 AM
Dude

Shh.... Do yourself a huge investment favor.

Go back to page 2 where Alpha posted all those Japanese "symbols" and find a couple you like. Go to http://jp-domains.com. Register a couple of those. Then go back a read the archives. Once you get up to speed you should be in an okay position.

Cheers...

mulligan
19th January 2010, 04:01 AM
People may come across as a little harsh but essentially the advice given is sound. Reading the old stuff will also give you an idea of how uninformed most of us where back in the day .. :)

spacey
19th January 2010, 04:09 AM
harsh and just plain rude are 2 different things i had enough yesterday , sadly today has only confirmed things for me , i hope you guys are not quite so rude to the next idn new member who asks some questions , me i got a few domains from what appear to be trusted members and i am happy at that , but in regards to discussions i will leave you with it. Regards

Clotho
19th January 2010, 04:32 AM

Thank you for the compliment Sarcle but this forum is chock full of great people including yourself. Besides, I don't want to get a big head. I am in fear of losing what little fashion sense I already possess. If I wake up one morning and have the sudden urge to go out and buy a Hawaiian shirt I'm going to blame you.:o

Spacey, I told you that you were going to have to grow a bit thicker skin. I'm sorry but this is how it usually works in any industry. Have you ever been the new guy at work and had the foreman tell you to go grab a bucket of 'propwash'. or how about the time that the journeyman mechanic asked you to hand him the 'metric johnson rod'? Here is a good article about it: Hazing: uncovering one of the best-kept secrets of the workplace (http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1038/is_n3_v32/ai_7739137/pg_2/)

Your the new guy. Getting picked on a bit is the right of passage. It is the price you pay for being educated on an extremely lucrative opportunity. Nothing worth having ever comes without cost.

Drewbert
19th January 2010, 05:25 AM
Can you go across to the hardware store for me please. I need 4 packets of rivets and a long weight.

IDNCowboy
19th January 2010, 06:05 AM
me i got a few domains from what appear to be trusted members and i am happy at that , but in regards to discussions i will leave you with it. Regards
list the members ;P
They probably unloaded their names

Get some harsher skin... RD has tried banging us in the head each day about how much the U.S. blows. :P I wish there was a politics forum so I could filter it out but there isn't.. Just skim over the posts you don't like. ;)

Rubber Duck
19th January 2010, 08:12 AM
Orientation can be tricky when you have your head up your arse.

Personally, I feel sorry for the followers of his Blog.

domainguru
19th January 2010, 08:31 AM
harsh and just plain rude are 2 different things i had enough yesterday , sadly today has only confirmed things for me , i hope you guys are not quite so rude to the next idn new member who asks some questions , me i got a few domains from what appear to be trusted members and i am happy at that , but in regards to discussions i will leave you with it. Regards

I bet nearly everyone on this forum has either left temporarily or felt like leaving .... its just the way we are. And we all seem to come back. Guess no-one else will have us....

Btw, advising us "we need to chill out" isn't the most persuasive way to go about winning us over ;-)

sarcle
19th January 2010, 02:27 PM
No reason to get butthurt. We were just having some fun. Seriously, go back and read some of our first posts. I know I was lost. If RD and a few others hadn't hit me over the head a few times I would have never found my way. (I'm still lost at times.)

You'll find unlike other forums while we joke at the other's expense the wealth of information we share and that's in the archives makes up for the embarrassing parts. And trust me I've had lots of them.

At the end of the day you'll see we all have one thing in common. Our drive for all things IDN and the desire to help those that want to be helped. We just aren't going to hand you the keys. You have to find those on your own. But we'll give you a flashlight if you need one.

Cheers.

andre
19th January 2010, 04:38 PM
Japanese type in symbols easily.

Type in the word for phone, press space, and you get ☎.

Many more symbols can be accessed with the Japanese input method.

Thank you for that info. I have been writing Japanese on my Mac for years and have never noticed that for some words that an associated symbol is available in the candidate window. I have experimented and have, so far, found:

あめ=Rain: type あめ to get ☂ (romaji form of あめ is ame)
ゆき=Snow: type ゆき to get ☃ (romaji form of ゆき is yuki)
くも=Cloud: type くも to get ☁ (romaji form of くみ is kumo)
ほし=Star: type ほし to get ★ (romaji form of ほし is hoshi)

André 小山 Schappo
http://拉夫堡學生會.cn/

markits
19th January 2010, 04:57 PM

Hi spacey,

People here are eager to share what they know. I would consider this (such a long thread) as an honour to a new member. Anyway, you opened up a interesting topic, which attracted many discussions.

Thanks and Cheers

markits
19th January 2010, 05:03 PM
Regarding kanji doamins, I own quite a few with good typein traffics and nice daily revenue.

blastfromthepast
19th January 2010, 05:31 PM
Thank you for that info. I have been writing Japanese on my Mac for years and have never noticed that for some words that an associated symbol is available in the candidate window. I have experimented and have, so far, found:

あめ=Rain: type あめ to get ☂ (romaji form of あめ is ame)
ゆき=Snow: type ゆき to get ☃ (romaji form of ゆき is yuki)
くも=Cloud: type くも to get ☁ (romaji form of くみ is kumo)
ほし=Star: type ほし to get ★ (romaji form of ほし is hoshi)

André 小山 Schappo
http://拉夫堡學生會.cn/

You are the only other person who answered this posts question! He asking about symbols, guys, why did you confuse him with kanji and keyboards?

IDNCowboy
19th January 2010, 05:33 PM
Thread should be renamed:

How to type in English .com to get onto the web ;-)

In Japan people know Japanese...

sarcle
19th January 2010, 06:08 PM

Yes, but in Soviet Russia... Cyrillic knows you!

alpha
20th January 2010, 03:56 PM
BUMP

If we had an annual award for the funniest post, this short little gem from Sarcle would get my vote

...I am wondering how the japanese folk can type in symbols ?

I understand some of the other alphabets can have a specific keyboard...

I'm not exactly sure but I think they use copy/paste like we do.

.. priceless.

blastfromthepast
20th January 2010, 05:04 PM

:D

TrafficDomainer
21st January 2010, 07:40 PM
Just to add that as a Thai I can confirm that almost 100% of Thais speak Thai and not just 20 million people as claimed by Wikepedia.

Also for reference, Thailand's population is estimated to be 70 million by the year 2010 (Sources: National Statistic Office, the Bank of Thailand, and the Board of Investment (BOI).)

http://www.siamallservices.com/facts.html

Wow - is it that "complicated"? No wonder my "backwater" Thai IDN domains where the locals are fortunate to have the entire alphabet "there" on the keyboard get many more type-ins than a typical Japanese name....

http://teakdoor.com/Gallery/albums/userpics/10004/thai_keyboard.gif

You know, I'm beginning to think Thai IDNs aren't merely such an "exotic alternative destination for your IDN investment bucks" after all. Consider the evidence:

1) Thais love .com, very little affinity for their .th ccTLD which as everyone knows is covered in more tape than a CSI crime scene.

2) But better than that, Thais really love ".com" in Thai = ".คอม". What evidence do I have for that statement?
a) Thais speak and write Thai, not English!

b) When Thais write ".com" in website titles, or incorporate into logos, most sites use the Thai ".คอม" not the English ".com". That is even knowing that ".คอม" doesn't exist yet. Imagine when it does exist ....

c) (For you hardcore statisticians rather than lovers of "fluffy" arguments) -

A few stats from truehits.net, showing what Thais search for when they are looking for a full domain name:

น่ารักดอทคอม = 6336 searches in December 2009
narak.com = 4257 searches in December 2009
น่ารัก.com = 93 searches in December 2009

เด็กดีดอทคอม = 42533 searches in December 2009
เด็กดี.คอม = 7378 searches in December 2009
เด็กดี.com = 1689 searches in December 2009

If nothing else, this shows that Thais are very comfortable with "คอม" being *their* version of ".com", even before it exists. When they start getting used to domains that begin with Thai letters, they just will not switch to ASCII ".com" - they will type "คอม", and ".com" will go straight to the Thai history books.

So that says to me I am already losing a huge % of type-ins because Thais are typing in ".คอม", not ".com".

Add to that the type-ins being lost because of the 40% of sleepy Thais still using IE6 ......

If type-ins were bad, the potential "multipliers" wouldn't mean much. But type-ins have already doubled every year or so for the last four years.

3) For a country where Wikipedia says only 20M speak Thai, you would think search volumes would be very low compared with more populous languages .... wrong!

a) For a start, 60M people in Thailand can speak Thai, its the official language, nobody gets taught to read and write "Iisaan" in school every day. So when typing Thai into the internet, its 60M not 20M. Any Thai can tell you that.

b) For "big volume" search terms that you can compare across the major IDN languages, Thai comes out very well. For both "music" and "games" it comes out top 5 or 6 in terms of absolute search numbers. We aren't talking Bulgaria or Hindi here (no offense either language), Thais are avid searchers for popular terms. I'm not publishing results for this as its part of a larger project but check out Google Insight if you want to do your own research here.

Sorry for the rant, I just get rather tired of seeing "top IDN destinations" and nobody ever seems to mention Thai as a possibility even. The "normal suspects" are fine, each has strengths and weaknesses, but when everyone is getting in a frenzy and the prices just keep going up and up, don't forget the "exotic alternatives" like Thailand, its not just a great vacation destination :)

And btw, I'm not selling anything here. My Thai IDNs are locked up now for the next 12 months at least. If I was on a sales drive, I would have written this before the auction.