PDA

View Full Version : Japanese translation for 'New'

domaindog
7th February 2010, 11:13 PM
What is the best/appropriate translation for the word 'New', to be used as in 'New Shoes' or 'New Socks' Etc?

1. 新しい
2. 新た
3. 目新しい
4. 新任
5. 新
6. 初
7. 独創的
8. ほやほや
9. 今次

Thanks.

blastfromthepast
8th February 2010, 02:47 AM
Used shoes are so much nicer.

sarcle
8th February 2010, 03:23 AM
Used shoes are so much nicer.

There's a huge market in the foot fetish community. I did some web work for a lady that sold used shoes, used socks, and used pantyhose. There are some different people out there.

websjapan
8th February 2010, 09:42 AM
1. 新しい atarashii is the adjective which can be used before nouns

What is the best/appropriate translation for the word 'New', to be used as in 'New Shoes' or 'New Socks' Etc?

1. 新しい
2. 新た
3. 目新しい
4. 新任
5. 新
6. 初
7. 独創的
8. ほやほや
9. 今次

Thanks.

Sunny
8th February 2010, 11:49 AM
For shoes, you can also write 新靴, though it is less popular.

domaindog
8th February 2010, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the responses.

Just to remind you: the Shoes and Socks is just to give an example. I am actually looking for the best translation for the word 'New' to be used as a prefix/Adjective. It could be New Tables or New Chairs or anything.

Google gave me 9 choices (as copied above). For now I understand that "新しい atarashii" as mentioned by websjapan is the best choice.

If there are more thoughts on this, please let these keep coming. Thanks again.

blastfromthepast
8th February 2010, 08:18 PM
used as a prefix/Adjective

You need to take a course in Japanese to figure it out. It is not as simple as you make it out to be.

domaindog
9th February 2010, 02:46 AM
@blast: By the same token, how about all of us leaving this forum and getting classes in all of the foreign languages for IDNs? Take it easy man!

This is an interactive place...and a helpful one at that. People ask questions...people get some answers and direction and make the best of it.

I did not assume anything while asking; laid it loud and clear, and got some very polite answers too. Moving on!