PDA

View Full Version : You thought the Great Firewall was nasty.

touchring
9th February 2010, 03:13 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8492224.stm

Still Counting? 27 More Websites Opened in Xinjiang - http://www.farwestchina.com/

squirrel
9th February 2010, 04:48 PM
Why is the firewall so uneven within China ? and why Xinjiang ?

bwhhisc
10th February 2010, 06:27 AM
and why Xinjiang ?

Political unrest. China shut down most of their internet, now appears to be restoring it little by little.

from recent news article
"Such services were cut following the July outbreak of clashes between ethnic Han Chinese and mainly Muslim Uighurs, in which almost 200 people died and 1,600 were wounded. The authorities accused Uighur organisers of using the Internet and mobile phones to orchestrate the unrest.

Twenty-six people were sentenced to death for their part in the rioting, which lasted several days after breaking out in Urumqi, Xinjiang's capital. Some have already been executed."

touchring
10th February 2010, 07:50 AM
from recent news article
"Such services were cut following the July outbreak of clashes between ethnic Han Chinese and mainly Muslim Uighurs, in which almost 200 people died and 1,600 were wounded. The authorities accused Uighur organisers of using the Internet and mobile phones to orchestrate the unrest.

We can assume that if there is unrest in the rest of China, we might see the entire Chinese internet and mobile phone network shutdown.

Rubber Duck
10th February 2010, 10:19 AM
So what is so intrinsically different between this and the US shutting down its entire airspace after 9/11?

sbe18
11th February 2010, 07:14 PM
Can't imagine much forgiveness from Juventus fans for your nation's style of
fan sportmanship and police cooperation ?

Glad to know that some of your MPs desire to let sharia law enter their constituencies ?

s/

domainguru
12th February 2010, 02:02 AM
Can't imagine much forgiveness from Juventus fans for your nation's style of
fan sportmanship and police cooperation ?

Glad to know that some of your MPs desire to let sharia law enter their constituencies ?

s/

Believe me, Juve fans aren't so "innocent". I spent 3 hrs getting missiles hurled in my direction at the 1990 world cup, pre-game, during the game, and post-game. Just because I was English. And the Italian police? Bunch of p***s. Were far more scared of the Juve fans than we were.

And how did we know they were Juve fans? Because of their Juve scarves covering their faces, and the chants they were singing. All very nasty. And don't worry, I have seen English "fans" as well, and they are equally as bad. But you have to understand, none of these people are sports fans at all. They are nationalistic, bigoted, hate-filled people that don't know any better form of recreation than violence.