PDA

View Full Version : Bangladesh formally applies for .বাংলা

sarcle
22nd February 2010, 03:38 PM
Prime minister Sheikh Hasina has filed a formal application to the global internet body to include Bangla in Country Code Top Level Domain or ccTLD for a greater recognition of the language in the world community.

Watched by a minister and senior civil servants at her Hare Road home on Sunday, Hasina went online to file the application on behalf of Bangladesh.
For 300 million Bangla-speaking people in the world -- more than half in Bangladesh -- this will facilitate web browsing in their mother tongue, the BTRC said in a statement.

The bid, which may take 6-9 months to materialise, was launched exactly 58 years after students laid down their lives on the streets of Dhaka to retain their rights to speak Bangla as state language.

The government decided to use '.বাংলা' as primary string and '.বাংলাদেশ', '.বং', '.বঙ্গ', '.বিডি' as variant strings.

So far, 17 countries have applied to ICANN, the global custodian for domain names and systems, with Egypt, Russia, Saudi Arabia and UAE getting their applications approved on Jan 21.

"This will help expedite the inclusion of Bangla as one of the official languages of the UN," the BTRC said.

Officials say Bangla domain names will also make search engines more efficient for content in the language.

They say getting domain names of choice will be a lot easier and that protection of content copyright for local websites will be possible.

http://bdnews24.com/details.php?id=154178&cid=2

Rubber Duck
22nd February 2010, 03:44 PM
Money in the Bank. :)

sarcle
22nd February 2010, 04:27 PM
Money in the Bank. :)

And a relatively unmined language. :D

Rubber Duck
22nd February 2010, 04:42 PM

It was barely touched when we arrived. And if you take the most plausible argument for American recovery as an expanding birth rate, then Bangladesh is going to be right up there! :rolleyes:

tee1
22nd February 2010, 09:04 PM

have to disagree its completely mined!!! nothing left worth going after. move on nothing worth looking at, don't waste your time.......

ক্যামেরা.com xn--p5b4ccf2ec5d1b.com couldn't resist.:D

sarcle
22nd February 2010, 09:16 PM
have to disagree its completely mined!!! nothing left worth going after. move on nothing worth looking at, don't waste your time.......

Nice grab! Oh, and lol.... :lol:

alexd
22nd February 2010, 09:19 PM

Don't ask me why, but until I did a quick check on Google for what that was - I thought you had gone and registered Poland.com in Bengali !!

tee1
22nd February 2010, 11:25 PM
Don't ask me why, but until I did a quick check on Google for what that was - I thought you had gone and registered Poland.com in Bengali !!

LOL, if I did that would sum up my Monday :o
just trying to show that there are a few decent keywords left in bengali, (a large number of extremely nice keywords in .net for those intereted.)

bwhhisc
23rd February 2010, 12:36 AM

ROTFLMOL :lol:

markits
23rd February 2010, 12:51 AM
The government decided to use '.বাংলা' as primary string and '.বাংলাদেশ', '.বং', '.বঙ্গ', '.বিডি' as variant strings.
http://bdnews24.com/details.php?id=154178&cid=2
Just picked up two of these variants in com.

markits
23rd February 2010, 12:52 AM
Any alphabet still available?

alibuba
23rd February 2010, 01:39 AM
nope i scooped the majority :)