PDA

View Full Version : some info needed

aboujouj83
2nd May 2006, 06:33 AM
I started registering arabic domains after discovering this forums. Now I am curious about the french domains...I also speak french, so I am wondering if you guys think there is a potential in french domains. Please share your experience here.

Thanks,
GSA

alpha
2nd May 2006, 06:48 AM
Yes definately. It is a European Country - of course there is value there.

But I think you will find that it has been harvested already.

dabsi
2nd May 2006, 10:08 AM
In my opinion, French Domains are the best running IDNs.
Accents are a must in french (marche = walk and marché = market) and the resulting trafic is our main fact.

Most important argument: if , par malheur, ICAAN would take the IDN.IDN option (a nightmare for all arab, russian and non-latin IDDNs), french would remain.

Last but not least; transactions on that language are booming.

Salut

DABSI (www.meilleursnoms.com)

touchring
2nd May 2006, 10:19 AM
Accents are a must in french (marche = walk and marché = market) and the resulting trafic is our main fact.

Most important argument: if , par malheur, ICAAN would take the IDN.IDN option (a nightmare for all arab, russian and non-latin IDDNs), french would remain.

Salut

What kind of traffic are you getting? How about Spanish idns, how do you know if French is better than Spanish?

I've considered this, this wouldn't affect chinese idns very much - in fact, we can't even decide among ourselves, what is the best .com for for idn.idn. It will affect languages where .com isn't strong, e.g. Russian, Hebrew, Greek, etc. I'm not so sure about Arabic since i do not know that language.

Rubber Duck
2nd May 2006, 10:32 AM

Salut

You need to brush up on IDN.IDN because you have clearly totally misunderstood the concept. All holders of Arabic and Russian IDN are praying for the early adoption of IDN.IDN.

touchring
2nd May 2006, 10:38 AM
You need to brush up on IDN.IDN because you have clearly totally misunderstood the concept. All holders of Arabic and Russian IDN are praying for the early adoption of IDN.IDN.

He is referring to the introduction of idn.idn as distinct domains from idn.com. The issue of DNAME versus ... i forgot the term.

Rubber Duck
2nd May 2006, 10:43 AM
He is referring to the introduction of idn.idn as distinct domains from idn.com.

Frankly, that is not something I will loose any sleep over. Even if there was the willingness to go down this path, the time frame is now too short for it to be a serious option. Look how long it took to launch dot EU, at least three years!

dabsi
2nd May 2006, 12:40 PM
The trafic with french IDNS is respectable and for good names we get up-to 400 views per day.
Number of potential French IDNs is much more higher than the spanish one; this is due to different combinations you get in french, with é, è, ê, ç, and so on. And french domains applies also fo the whole Francophonie world which consists on a huge market including, France, Belgium, Switzerland, Quebec, North and Western Africa.

As to EU domains trafic has already start to jump

DABSI

Rubber Duck
2nd May 2006, 12:46 PM
Well, if you are basing your argument for higher adoption of French IDN over Spanish IDN purely on global reach, then you have already lost the argument, and a great deal of credibility along with it.

dabsi
2nd May 2006, 12:56 PM
Just be realistic;

How many Russian, or Chinese, or Arabs will type words which are directly translated from an English/American mind and way of life. This is a science and not a hobby.

My feeling is that there is lot of industrial registring of IDNs hoping to become a millionaire just with a dictionary online and overture.....

Fact is that french and spanish are latin languages such as the com and net extensions are. And the resulting trafic is already generating cash. Did you have ever tried to type on a browser window first in latin, then in chinese ore arabic, then again com in latin?

As to the credibility, leave it to experts; they know how to assess our views.

DABSI

Rubber Duck
2nd May 2006, 01:00 PM
Just be realistic;

How many Russian, or Chinese, or Arabs will type words which are directly translated from an English/American mind and way of life. This is a science and not a hobby.

My feeling is that there is lot of industrial registring of IDNs hoping to become a millionaire just with a dictionary online and overture.....

Fact is that french and spanish are latin languages such as the com and net extensions are. And the resulting trafic is already generating cash. Did you have ever tried to type on a browser window first in latin, then in chinese ore arabic, then again com in latin?

As to the credibility, leave it to experts; they know how to assess our views.

DABSI

Latin domains are a side show, if you were an expert, you would understand that!

dabsi
2nd May 2006, 01:23 PM
I was responding to Aboujou regarding french IDN; accept this.
Your knowledge is valuable, but accept other views.

It's only a question of culture again: annuity.com has been sold for USD 0,6 mio. but we dropped annuité.com because of it's non-existing trafic.

Again, what works in the US and UK, can not be automaticly implemented elsewhere. That applies also for domains. And newcomers like you needs also this lesson.

Regards

DABSI

Rubber Duck
2nd May 2006, 01:30 PM
Well to suggest especially to new comers that you need to be a linguistic expert is totally misleading. The only language I have an intimate knowledge of is French and I have only one or two drops to by credit.

Spanish is globally a much more significant language than French. It covers most of South and Central America. The French Empire was a pathetic affair, as everything else was more or less taken by the British, who were so over extended that they neglected the more hostile and improverished bits of Africa.

I was responding to Aboujou regarding french IDN; accept this.
Your knowledge is valuable, but accept other views.

It's only a question of culture again: annuity.com has been sold for USD 0,6 mio. but we dropped annuité.com because of it's non-existing trafic.

Again, what works in the US and UK, can not be automaticly implemented elsewhere. That applies also for domains. And newcomers like you needs also this lesson.

Regards

DABSI

ennuyé
3rd May 2006, 03:16 AM
The trafic with french IDNS is respectable and for good names we get up-to 400 views per day.
Number of potential French IDNs is much more higher than the spanish one; this is due to different combinations you get in french, with é, è, ê, ç, and so on. And french domains applies also fo the whole Francophonie world which consists on a huge market including, France, Belgium, Switzerland, Quebec, North and Western Africa.

DABSI

Much of Canada uses french. In Ontario and many other places large areas speak french as a first language. Québec just happens to have the motherload.

touchring
3rd May 2006, 03:20 AM
Much of Canada uses french. In Ontario and many other places large areas speak french as a first language. Québec just happens to have the motherload.

Much means how many people? 10 million "typers"? - note, i use typers as opposed to speakers. :)

I checked my french names, traffic is 92% from Europe and 4% from North America.

blastfromthepast
3rd May 2006, 04:06 AM
Frankly, that is not something I will loose any sleep over. Even if there was the willingness to go down this path, the time frame is now too short for it to be a serious option. Look how long it took to launch dot EU, at least three years!

Look, we are still living with файл.doc (file.doc) accross all computer platforms and it doesn't bother anyone!