PDA

View Full Version : Advice for newbie - unsolicited portfolio purchase email

ceadda
17th March 2010, 03:03 PM
Hi guys,

Having posted on the forum a few times since last week, I received an email expressing interest in my IDN portfolio for someone apparently looking to build up their portfolio.

As a newbie, I don't know whether this type of approach is common or whether my scam alarm bells should be ringing.

I don't want to just print the guy's name on the forum as he could be perfectly legit, I am really just seeking general advice on whether this type of approach is common etc.

Many thanks.

squirrel
17th March 2010, 03:46 PM
If he ask for valuation from a 3rd party, it's likely to be a scam. Look up the person's email on google if you haven't done so. I remember looking up someone's email in the past and the first result was a namepros thread about email scams...

Clotho
17th March 2010, 07:12 PM
I have had a few inquiries as of late.

One inquiry sounded similar. We exchanged a few emails and it turns out they were trying to get stuff practically for free.

They seemed to feel that because domains were selling on this forum for peanuts that I should accept their miniscule offer yet I do not see them buying here. Either the format doesn't appeal to them or they don't wish to drive prices up.

jacksonm
17th March 2010, 07:52 PM
Haha, I was in a snap auction about a month ago and there was only one active bidder. I sniped the domain at the last minute while he was sleeping. This was on a Saturday night.

What do you know? He contacted me first thing on Monday morning and asked me to sell it to him for 500 EUR. I declined. He offered me 1000 EUR. I declined. He didn't think he should offer more since he knew what I paid for it. Tough shit.

Steve Clarke
18th March 2010, 02:22 AM
Had a similiar offer last week...someone wanting to buy up a portfolio of names on behalf of someone else.
He was looking for prices lower than what I was prepared to offer.
Can't blame him for trying.

bwhhisc
18th March 2010, 02:25 AM
Lots of people throwing out lowball offers...for the most part I just ignore them unless they write more than once.

ceadda
18th March 2010, 03:20 PM
Cool, many thanks for the feedback everyone.

sarcle
18th March 2010, 09:02 PM
My ass is chapped from the smoke that's been blown in it from "investors" reading this board emailing. Trying to get keywords for pennies. :lol:

Too little. Too late.