PDA

View Full Version : Regging an IDN .net if the .com is already gone ... is it worth it

alexd
1st January 2006, 02:21 PM
Hello everyone.

My first post here in the forums, and I am very new to IDN domains, but was wondering if I can ask a question.

I have found a Japanese IDN, but it is only available as a .net, and not .com. The overture rating for the name is not much at all ( about 8000 ), but the Overture bids for this word are pretty high - about 1000 Yen. There are also about 36,000,000 search terms in Google, and plenty of Adwords advertisers.

Was just wondering if you guys think it would be worth registering, even though it is a .net.

Thanks for your time,

Alex

Rubber Duck
1st January 2006, 02:33 PM
Hello everyone.

My first post here in the forums, and I am very new to IDN domains, but was wondering if I can ask a question.

I have found a Japanese IDN, but it is only available as a .net, and not .com. The overture rating for the name is not much at all ( about 8000 ), but the Overture bids for this word are pretty high - about 1000 Yen. There are also about 36,000,000 search terms in Google, and plenty of Adwords advertisers.

Was just wondering if you guys think it would be worth registering, even though it is a .net.

Thanks for your time,

Alex

Alex, you obviously understand the mechanics of this fairly well. If you have high bid numbers then there is huge potential for making money from any traffic you might have.

The Overture figures are not fantastic, but Overture does not equal traffic anyway. If a typical bid price for Japan is about 100 yen, and you are getting a thousand then I would simply multiply the Overture by 10, which makes it more respectable.

Still a dot net and most of the type in is likely to go to dot com or the ccTLD, so dot nets are really more for end users and developers.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

alexd
1st January 2006, 02:37 PM
Dave

Thanks for your quick reply. I really appreciate it.

This is my first time delving into the world of IDNs, and this forum is a fantastic place. Have spent most of the day reading all types of posts, and havent managed to do any work at all ;).

Thanks again, and all the best for 2006.

Alex

Olney
1st January 2006, 02:50 PM
Hey welcome guy...

Glad that we could help you...