PDA

View Full Version : .com vs. .com

DomainDialect
10th May 2010, 10:03 PM
I may have missed this in the other threads but I'll bring it up here. If someone has an IDN.com domain and automatically has the reg rights to an IDN.IDN (.com in that language) domain I assume there will be no action to take if .com remains .com for that language. Am I correct? Won't some countries (languages) still retain the .com extension even after translation? (Or any other extension for that matter). Looking for comments...

squirrel
10th May 2010, 10:16 PM
you are right,

French, Spanish and others are already fully internationalized, in the sense that .com makes sense in these languages and will not have to be translated.

Same for .net, same for .org

10th May 2010, 10:29 PM
Won't some countries (languages) still retain the .com extension even after translation? (Or any other extension for that matter). Looking for comments...
Yes, All languages will retain the ASCII .com extension even after translation, some just won't have a translation and will only retain ASCII .com like the samples you used above.

Drewbert
11th May 2010, 02:08 AM
you are right,

French, Spanish and others are already fully internationalized, in the sense that .com makes sense in these languages and will not have to be translated.

Same for .net, same for .org

Well, we could probably come up with better abbreviations than "com" for Spanish and French.

.biz would be better served in (Mexican) Spanish as .neg - short for negocio

plus I've heard people use the plural abbreviation "infos" more than "info" for informacion.

blastfromthepast
11th May 2010, 04:03 AM
We are waiting for ".kom" latin script languages which do not use "c" in the word commercial.

bumblebee man
11th May 2010, 07:01 AM
Well, we could probably come up with better abbreviations than "com" for Spanish and French.

Well, in French and Spanish it does make sense at least: commerce and comercio. Don't know how popular these expression are though.

We are waiting for ".kom" latin script languages which do not use "c" in the word commercial.

Which language would that be? In German there is "Kommerz" but it's actually quite unpopular.

I don't really think a translation of .com is needed for Latin scripts.

Drewbert
11th May 2010, 07:25 AM
From the Goog...

Croatian, Slovenian - trgovina
Czech, Slovak - obchod
Danish, Dutch, Norwegian, Polish - handel
Estonian - kaubandus
Filipino - komersyo
Finnish - kaupankäynti
Hungarian - kereskedelem
Icelandic - verslun
Indonesian - perdagangan
Irish - thráchtáil
Latvian - tirdzniecība
Lithuanian - prekyba
Malay - perdagangan
Maltese - kummerċ
Turkish - ticaret
Welsh - fasnach

blastfromthepast
11th May 2010, 07:41 AM
For example, in Polish, "c" sounds like "ts", and not "k". So, if you were to transliterate .com, it would be .kom.

DomainDialect
11th May 2010, 10:16 AM
Thanks for the input. :)

bumblebee man
11th May 2010, 10:31 AM
For example, in Polish, "c" sounds like "ts", and not "k". So, if you were to transliterate .com, it would be .kom.

All right. That makes sense. For German I can't think of any good alternative for .com - even though .com doesn't really mean anything in German.

Anyway, even in America many people don't know what it means.

squirrel
11th May 2010, 03:15 PM
I thought com stood for communist

Rubber Duck
12th May 2010, 05:00 AM

Hence the alternative spellings for Tsar/Csar.

Dot Com, however, is a Brand not a Generic.

Rubber Duck
12th May 2010, 05:06 AM
Sorry, I am reduced to tweeting but Windows bloody 7 jumps is I do more than a sentence.

Rubber Duck
12th May 2010, 05:07 AM
If America thinks her advanced technology rather than sound finance and hard work are going to save her skin then she has miscalculated.

bumblebee man
12th May 2010, 08:03 AM
Dot Com, however, is a Brand not a Generic.

Exactly. Everyone knows and likes it, no matter what it means. That's why I wouldn't want to swap it for any translation in Latin script.

With extensions it's all about trust and recognition and not (so much) about their meanings. That's why stocks.org is better than stocks.biz imo.

DktoInc
13th May 2010, 01:49 AM
what about the aging of the domain?? Once it becomes Idn,KOM will it be a brand new ball game for everyone or will the domain aging of the .com transfer once .KOM is activated?

DomainDialect
13th May 2010, 03:13 AM
Do you mean if the .com was registered in 2006 will the .kom retain that same date? I would guess no.