PDA

View Full Version : Which market is better for ecommerce development ? Japan or France?

IDNCowboy
20th May 2010, 02:09 AM
I have two great French IDNs...

one .com and one .net

Has anyone developed any French IDNs? Any success? Have they been ranking well? covering costs?

squirrel
20th May 2010, 02:31 AM
For what it's worth:

-I have a term that gets 33K exact monthly searches as per Google Keyword Tool
-I barely developed it. (really it's just a whitelabel e-shop, not custom text yet, no SEO, 2-3 backlinks) (I don't even think that you can call this development!)
-the website is 2 months old
-I get between 250-300 uniques a month.
-80-90% of the traffic is from SE

-----------------------------------------
My understanding of the french market is that people are not used to IDNs yet and will probably not be until afnic gets their act together, therefore don't count too much on type-ins, however you'll definitely get SE traffic. As far as ranking goes, I can't tell if they rank better, worse or equal to ascii.
In anyevent, you'll want to develop your french names for the simple fact that that the french domaining market is flat and development increases resale value (a lot)

I'm currently developing a bigger (real development) project, if you want I'll let you know how it goes.

IDNCowboy
20th May 2010, 02:38 AM
For what it's worth:

-I have a term that gets 33K exact monthly searches as per Google Keyword Tool
-I barely developed it. (really it's just a whitelabel e-shop, not custom text yet, no SEO, 2-3 backlinks) (I don't even think that you can call this development!)
-the website is 2 months old
-I get between 250-300 uniques a month.
-80-90% of the traffic is from SE

-----------------------------------------
My understanding of the french market is that people are not used to IDNs yet and will probably not be until afnic gets their act together, therefore don't count too much on type-ins, however you'll definitely get SE traffic. As far as ranking goes, I can't tell if they rank better, worse or equal to ascii.
In anyevent, you'll want to develop your french names for the simple fact that that the french domaining market is flat and development increases resale value (a lot)

I'm currently developing a bigger (real development) project, if you want I'll let you know how it goes.

mine is a term with 135,000 exact

squirrel
20th May 2010, 02:48 AM
mine is a term with 135,000 exact

You could technically expect more traffic from development, but it all depends on the competition for your term.

domainguru
20th May 2010, 03:50 AM
You could technically expect more traffic from development, but it all depends on the competition for your term.

Certainly hard to reduce traffic by development, though I've seen a few "sites" that give it a good bash :p

blastfromthepast
20th May 2010, 07:00 AM
France?

bumblebee man
20th May 2010, 11:30 AM
France?

A huge market which is currently undervalued (also on IDNF) because it hasn't quite matured yet. I can't think of any reason why the French market should be less interesting than the German one in the medium-term.

domainguru
20th May 2010, 01:03 PM
A huge market which is currently undervalued (also on IDNF) because it hasn't quite matured yet. I can't think of any reason why the French market should be less interesting than the German one in the medium-term.

GDP? Sales history? Dunno....

IDNCowboy
20th May 2010, 02:46 PM
http://www.emarketer.com/Reports/All/Emarketer_2000425.aspx
Shows 3.6 - 4 billion dollar online ad share.
The .net I own has 90,000 exact

Vidéo.net