PDA

View Full Version : The Internet has changed forever, and no one seems to have noticed

22nd May 2010, 09:10 PM
Yesterday, one of the biggest events in the history of the Internet took place; non-Latin top-level domains went live in the DNS root zone. In plain English, you can now type the whole of a domain name in Arabic script. Not just the left of the dot (as in dot org) but the right of it, too. The three new top-level domains are السعودية. (“Al-Saudiah”), امارات. ( “Emarat”) and مصر. (“Misr”). They are country code names in Arabic for Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates and Egypt.

How did this happen? Years of collaboration and cooperation between countless technical, policy and linguistic experts around the world, endless patience and a fair amount of justified and motivating impatience for people to be able to use their own scripts and thus languages to access the Internet.

As Tina Dam, who leads ICANN work on internationalising domain names puts it, credit goes to the “registries and governments that have worked actively locally; the IDNA protocol authors; the policy makers; application developers” such as browsers who had to figure out how to make the url field read from right to left, and many, many more.

As my old IANA colleague, Kim Davies, says; the hard work and collaboration required to get this far is just the beginning. The people behind these new domains now need to work with their own communities to populate them. Browsers like Firefox don’t seem to have caught on yet, though they’ve had plenty of warning. And many more script and language groups are lining up behind to get their own characters into the root. Word is the Russians want Cyrillic in next (Medvedev got his game face on when he heard the Bulgarians might get there first.).

It’s hard to express what a big deal this is, and what a great day yesterday was for the Internet. The changes will be mostly invisible to most of us who speak English or type in languages that just use ASCI. While there have always been workarounds at the browser or ISP level that make it seem to many users in, say, China, that they’re typing everything in their own characters, not everyone has these workarounds. From now on, people who use other scripts will be able to access the world wide web on their own terms.

Is there any down side to this true internationalization of the domain name system? Sure. Every script that gets used has to go through years of mapping and testing characters, an enormous effort for a community that means it will take years to get to everyone. In the shorter term, there may be an increased risk of phishing domains that look like latin script, e.g. citibank.com, but actually contain a non-Latin character and bring you somewhere altogether less savoury.

There is also the fear that this will lead to the balkanization of the Internet. Will it, for example, make it even easier for the Chinese to maintain and strengthen their firewall? But anyone who tries to play the ‘gotcha’ card on these issues should first familiarise themselves with the years of expert discussions and decision-making that have gone into this development. Internationalisation is not perfect, and foreseeing problems isn’t the same as solving them. But anyone who complains in English that now they can’t type in every character of every url from their own machine should probably sit on that for a moment and think how it sounds to someone speaking, say, Amharic or Thai.

A point worth noting, these new domains are new versions of country codes like .UK or .AU and are run by country code managers. The wider process to open up generic top level domains like ‘.arab’ in Arabic or in plain old latin script still has quite a way to go, but should ultimately include non-ASCII characters.

Yesterday was a great day for celebration. So why isn’t the world celebrating? Because hardly anyone knows yet. Apart from a 100+ word announcement on the ICANN home page, leading to an announcement elsewhere and a couple of good blog posts by Tina Dam and Kim Davies, it’s as if this huge event hasn’t even happened. I found out via my grapevine on Twitter. Stories are just beginning to appear in the mainstream media, but not remotely on a scale that would indicate that getting the good news out to the world is being prioritised by ICANN’s leadership.

Where is the press campaign, news release, front page video, assault on social media and general drum-beating, trumpet-blaring celebration of the biggest thing on the Internet since email was invented? How can it be nearly two days since a fundamental change to how the world accesses the Internet and this news is still mostly getting around via tweets amongst insiders like me?

Wake up, ICANN! Get your communications act together. Just because this isn’t big news in America doesn’t mean it’s not big news to the world. If I were the Arab countries involved in this leap forward, I’d be confused and perhaps a little peeved.

When ICANN’s biggest news story of last year kicked off – the relinquishing by the US Department of Commerce of a legal claim of authority over how ICANN operates, in favour of a more international approach – the story was launched on the front page of the website with videos, press release, and endless quotes from big cheeses around the world saying how important it all was. It takes a lot of ground work to pull that off, but it was a priority, so it got done in time. An aggressive international press campaign put the story into mainstream media around the world. It was a big deal that looked and sounded like a big deal.

This time round, not-quite-silence but not a whole lot of parades and bunting either. It’s not as if internationalised domain names (IDN) came as a surprise. The process was approved by the Board in October, first applications came in November, and last week the Board gave the final go ahead to put the names in the root. I can’t help thinking that if IDN was a big domestic US issue, it wouldn’t be getting the manana treatment from ICANN’s leadership.

To be clear, I don’t think this is being buried, just not prioritized as its global significance demands. For example, I see a couple of press stories on the media page as of late Thursday night, US east coast time, but no press release, no interview with the CEO, no 2-pager for the technically challenged, no pull-quotes, no examples of how ordinary Internet users will be affected, no high flung rhetoric about how this makes the Internet truly international (for some of that, try Kieren McCarthy’s blogpost), no explanations of, to quote Vice President Joe Biden, what a big effing deal this is.

How could this happen? Perhaps it’s because ICANN’s leadership has become so narrowly US-focused. There is no longer a non-American on the dwindling executive team, and the possession of a less parochial sensibility is no longer an asset. The exodus of experienced, knowledgeable executives with deep ties to the international Internet community is beginning to show. ICANN is soon to lose its universally respected COO, Doug Brent. He will follow the head of international outreach, Theresa Swinehart, whose departure leaves the organisation with one less known, respected and deeply connected member of the global Internet community.

The open rebellion by country code managers and seething dissent of many government representatives during ICANN’s recent meeting in Kenya show an ICANN leadership that is out of touch with the vast majority of the global Internet community, and doesn’t seem to care. This needs to be fixed before it is too late.

The Internet changed yesterday thanks in part to the organisational and operational credibility of ICANN, its relationships around the world, and the open and collaborative model of technical decision-making pioneered by the Internet Engineering Task Force. A human web built and sustains the world wide web. It took years to build up. It could only take months to damage beyond repair.

Full disclosure: I used to work at ICANN as part of the communications team before I was made redundant last year following a change of leadership.

http://crookedtimber.org/2010/05/07/the-internet-has-changed-forever-and-no-one-seems-to-have-noticed/

Wot
23rd May 2010, 01:10 AM
A big day indeed.

gammascalper
23rd May 2010, 04:33 AM
Good find, thanks 555

sbe18
23rd May 2010, 05:32 PM
AOL then AOLtimewarner tanks.
Yahoo missed buying Google for 1 or 2 billion.
Google missed buying Twitter Facebook.
Rupert bought MySpace with weirdly poor timing.

Idn's would qualify for Burke's connections book or tv show redux.
Days weeks months.....
Sadly the west tech press will remain lemmings to SV spin.
A/

DktoInc
25th May 2010, 08:21 AM
I noticed that no one noticed.

dynamicsoul
25th May 2010, 09:40 AM
"The changes will be mostly invisible to most of us who speak English or type in languages that just use ASCI"

Has the author of the article searched for news in the native languages in question, I wonder?.. it may not be "big news" to latin language speakers.. as most have no intention of typing it .. ever..

but it will be big news to those who speak these languages..

and no.. I haven't searched either :p

sarcle
26th May 2010, 03:48 AM
I noticed.

blastfromthepast
27th May 2010, 02:12 AM
So, what happened?

phio
27th May 2010, 02:54 AM
The Gulf is waking up:

http://www.idnbusiness.com/2010/05/uae-launches-historic-idn-cctld.html

Wot
27th May 2010, 04:49 AM
I posted a reference to this at NP's, here is one reply:

"I still don't understand how this is a moment in history for the internet. What advantages will this bring to the common English internet user?" :D

squirrel
27th May 2010, 05:06 AM
I posted a reference to this at NP's, here is one reply:

"I still don't understand how this is a moment in history for the internet. What advantages will this bring to the common English internet user?" :D

Personally I'm enjoying the 'quality' time that we're having here on IDNF while it lasts. Who knows, by next year a fifth of the namepros crowd may be migrating here trying to (re)sell typo Urdu domains.

bumblebee man
27th May 2010, 08:20 AM
Who knows, by next year a fifth of the namepros crowd may be migrating here trying to (re)sell typo Urdu domains.

Or the rare single characters that didn't sell on Ebay.;)

sarcle
27th May 2010, 08:09 PM
Who knows, by next year a fifth of the namepros crowd may be migrating here trying to (re)sell typo Urdu domains.

Oh Jesus, please not that!

IDNCowboy
27th May 2010, 08:18 PM
Oh Jesus, please not that!

Well what happened to the thousands of idn domains that the owner of DNF registered.... He used the worst dictionary on the planet and didn't even ask for advice... ;-)

Rubber Duck
27th May 2010, 08:25 PM
The Gulf is waking up:

http://www.idnbusiness.com/2010/05/uae-launches-historic-idn-cctld.html

Before the launch their ASCII extension had a mere 90K users, they are going to have to get their skates on to make any impression on Verisign. And that is by all accounts one of the biggest ccTLDs.

sarcle
27th May 2010, 09:09 PM
Well what happened to the thousands of idn domains that the owner of DNF registered.... He used the worst dictionary on the planet and didn't even ask for advice... ;-)

You know. At least I can say DGC was a "pioneer" and a "vocal" investor in his IDN investments for a legacy domainer on DNF. (Not counting the ones here) When most veteran Ascii domainers were "confronted" (I use this term loosely) about IDN they all put their heads in the sand or quickly denied "intelligence" in foreign markets. This lack of "intelligence" can say several things. But that is a different topic and digression from this topic.

DGC did admit to aquiring IDN. He has admitted mistakes. I give him props for that. He has an ego and thought he could go it alone. I'm cool with that. He's earned his ego and admits missteps and warns investors about it. He's at least "prepared" for this storm that is unfolding as we type.

But my GOD. Not Namepros. I'm going to cry myself to sleep tonight.

they are going to have to get their skates on to make any impression on Verisign.

My question. And I'm dead serious. .IDN has made and is making it's impression on the world. When is Verisign going to make their impression that .com or .kom is happening and going to stay #1? Is it at the next ICANN meeting, WTF is going on here? We need some public statements from them soon. Not these disguised "whenever" answers. Are they going to allow themselves to become delegated as a "has been" extension. And if not. What is their fucking plan? Jeez, for a company that has everything to lose on IDN they sure aren't saying shit about it.

Sorry for the rant. Let's pull some thumbs out people.

squirrel
27th May 2010, 09:24 PM
Are they going to allow themselves to become delegated as a "has been" extension. And if not. What is their fucking plan? Jeez, for a company that has everything to lose on IDN they sure aren't saying shit about it.

They announced yesterday that they would foster research in various fields, including IDNs. They certainly have a plan.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/verisign-honors-the-com-25-and-unveils-internet-infrastructure-grants-2010-05-26?reflink=MW_news_stmp
and
http://www.25yearsof.com/grants/

27th May 2010, 09:27 PM
What is their fucking plan? Jeez, for a company that has everything to lose on IDN they sure aren't saying shit about it.

Verisign recently sold it's security division and specifically explained it plans to concentrate on it's core business, .com / .net domains.

Nothing much to say at this point as currently the idn gTLD process is tied to the new ASCII gTLD process and that won't start until early next year in the good case scenario.

The bad case scenario for new ASCII gTLD's and that is what i think may happen, is that in Brussels (June 20) it will be clear that there are further delays anticipated with the new ASCII gTLD program which will then make ICANN hopefully do something and separate the connection of IDN gTLD's and ASCII gTLD's and let IDN gTLD's start with no further delays.
In any event, even if IDN gTLD's remain connected to new ASCII gTLD's process, nothing much verisign needs to say, there is no other way for anyone to get anything that is or is similar to .com/.net in other languages, only to verisign and verisign on it's behalf must insure only the idn.com registrant will get that idn.idn equivalent as they plan to do and clearly stated they eagerly wait on doing.

The bottom line is, nothing to say when it's game over, and it is game over for many years if you look at the whole map and with time its the jar is just getting tighter and better sealed.

sarcle
27th May 2010, 10:47 PM
They announced yesterday that they would foster research in various fields, including IDNs.

But see this is what I mean,

"Foster research," WTF does that mean? They haven't been "researching" this entire time? They are just now going to look into translating extensions or figure out how to implement this?

I'm being rhetorical but that isn't a concrete enough of a statement for me.

The bad case scenario for new ASCII gTLD's and that is what i think may happen, is that in Brussels (June 20) it will be clear that there are further delays anticipated with the new ASCII gTLD program which will then make ICANN hopefully do something and separate the connection of IDN gTLD's and ASCII gTLD's and let IDN gTLD's start with no further delays.

Again, not trying to be a stickler here these are still best guesses as to what is next. I understand the last time frame we had was "8 months to 19 months" after the new gtld process has begun.

We are talking about a billion dollar corporation whose main interest/moneymaker is .com and .net. And that is all they have to say about this? They aren't raising hell to get .IDN for their extentions? .RF is already live for commercial sites. This is what we have from them? Fire the board.

Drewbert
28th May 2010, 01:12 AM
Verisign have to be careful what they say because they're a public listed company and have to follow SEC rules.

Rubber Duck
28th May 2010, 05:22 AM
Like Michael said, Brussels is crunch time on New gTLD and both ICANN and Verisign know it. Verisign aren't going to brag about anything until the fish are in the Keep Net.

From our perspective what is important is that the World understands what Michael already understands, and that is about to happen. Whether it takes a month or a year to implement is almost irrelevant. It will be like holding Gold futures rather than the metal.

sbe18
28th May 2010, 08:30 AM
Michael and David are right on Brussels.

For 3 years ++, Tina has only talked about IDN cctld's....not any more.

Since Nov 09 vote, Beckstrom, Gomes, Dam have used 'IDN gtld's' routinely.

Gomes ppt in Moscow at the dot PO/rf launch no less.

So with Arabic and Russia is now done.
Russia has a path to September for its IDN cctld's.

Sex and Movie trademark back channels notwithstanding.

France is trending to follow dot es and dot eu, let alone years of dot DE.
French grammarians desiring correct vowels like the Finns, Germans, and Swedes.

Verisign is staring at tens of millions of dollars with $15 hand reg's and $7.50 IDN variant/alias/mirror/BName surcharges/taxes via upgrades or at re-reg.

Beckstrom has been in all 3 Arabic IDN cctld nation launches, and in Moscow.
Korea months ago, and China on a separate public visit to CNNIC.

There is a ver 4 guide book coming.

Trademark attorneys are NOT clamoring to block IDN gtlds or IDN.IDN for com/net.
If Brussels breaks the path into 2 tracks, the lawyers will celebrate and so will we.

If Verisign's CEO publicly attends Brussels and/or is slated to speak at ICANN general assembly or the GNSO that would a very strong signal that Verisign went through all the hoops with all the bells and whistles in the background.

They have sold off all the other business lines.
They are a public company.

June 20 th even has cover for them with the World Cup, if the PR release is a dog.

s/

domainguru
28th May 2010, 03:24 PM
Or the rare single characters that didn't sell on Ebay.;)

Well, there's only 100 in the world apparently - that IS rare!

Drewbert
28th May 2010, 08:52 PM
For 3 years ++, Tina has only talked about IDN cctld's....not any more.

Since Nov 09 vote, Beckstrom, Gomes, Dam have used 'IDN gtld's' routinely.

You may recall my "don't rabbit on in public about IDNgTLD aliasing until after the IDNccTLD fasttrack is approved, as it might jeopardise or slow the fasttrack process down".

sarcle
28th May 2010, 10:00 PM
Well, there's only 100 in the world apparently - that IS rare!

Dude, you're taking this costume thing to a whole new level! I salute you.