PDA

View Full Version : ICANN head warns against putting Internet addresses under UN control

25th May 2010, 01:46 PM
The head of the U.S.-monitored organization in charge of assigning global internet addresses such as .com and .net has cautioned against proposals to put the group under UN or other international control.

The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN), at the heart of global debate over who should run the Internet, is the closest thing the vast system of intertwined computer networks has to any central authority.

Countries such as Iran and Brazil have argued ICANN, which was founded in 1998 under the aegis of the U.S. Department of Commerce and still reports partly to the U.S. government, should cede its authority to a global body such as the United Nations.

“If you think of that rate, or pace, in technology, it’s just a lot more rapid than most traditional forms of policy development would be suited to,” Rod Beckstrom, the organisation’s chief executive, told Reuters on Monday.

Multilateral state control could make ICANN less nimble, he said, and therefore less likely to quickly develop technologies like Arabic-language domain names that feed rapidly expanding Internet demand.

“It’s hard to imagine any replacement for (the current system), and I feel I can say that somewhat objectively because I’ve worked for government as well,” he said, adding such a decision would be up to ICANN’s board of directors.

Still, the U.S. government last September agreed to changes that meant ICANN would no longer report solely to the United States, part of a push to give global constituents more say.

The agreement set up an international review team to monitor ICANN’s performance and it is due to issue initial recommendations at the end of the year. The deal also included guidelines aimed at making the group more transparent.

In 2003 a group of nations suggested ICANN come under the authority of the International Telecommunication Union, a UN agency, but that move stumbled on the view that the private sector is better able to run the Internet’s addressing system.

A contract that gives ICANN authority over much of the Internet’s basic plumbing, such as allocating Internet Protocol (IP) addresses, is up for review next year.

Mr. Beckstrom was in Cairo after Egypt became one of the first countries to win approval to use Arabic script on its national domain name, the last part of the address after the dot. ICANN approved use of non-Latin scripts in October.

Egypt said this month it had launched the first domain name using Arabic letters under the name .misr – the Arabic word for Egypt, which is spelt in Arabic script.

Countries including China, Russia, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates have so far won ICANN approval to use their national language scripts on the top-level domain.

ICANN is now on track to broaden the non-Latin script, top-level domain names that are available into generic names such as .org, Beckstrom said.

“Of course you know .com and .net. Those are English language names that are shortened, basically. Where’s the equivalent of that in Arabic?” he said. He said ICANN might be able to introduce generic domain names in international scripts by the end of this year, but the approval process made dates hard to forecast.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/technology/icann-head-warns-against-putting-internet-addresses-under-un-control/article1579820/

squirrel
25th May 2010, 02:00 PM
Nice find

domainguru
25th May 2010, 02:59 PM
"ICANN head warns against putting Internet addresses under UN control" - I think that falls under the category of "well they would, wouldn't they".

DktoInc
25th May 2010, 05:33 PM
what is the equivalent for .com .net in Arabic?

Drewbert
25th May 2010, 07:31 PM
Would the UN have granted Verisign the ability to increase .com prices on a whim?

I don't think so.

Rubber Duck
25th May 2010, 08:08 PM
what is the equivalent for .com .net in Arabic?

Why do you need to know? As long as you have the dot com registered, once the aliasing mechanism now being discussed is in placed, as long as the Arabs know you will get paid from the traffic.

The only Real IDN have been in circulation for nearly a decade. You have about three weeks to get fully invested, otherwise the whole business is just going to be of academic interest to you.

DktoInc
25th May 2010, 10:56 PM
Why do you need to know? As long as you have the dot com registered, once the aliasing mechanism now being discussed is in placed, as long as the Arabs know you will get paid from the traffic.

The only Real IDN have been in circulation for nearly a decade. You have about three weeks to get fully invested, otherwise the whole business is just going to be of academic interest to you.

I don't usually invest into something with a blindfold on.

The reason I ask is because if Arabic doesn't have a .com or .net equivalent then what is the point of this investment if it will never give a return.

bwhhisc
26th May 2010, 01:37 AM

The reason I ask is because if Arabic doesn't have a .com or .net equivalent then what is the point of this investment if it will never give a return.

Here are best guesses from earlier thread here:

http://www.idnforums.com/forums/23473-idn-idn-translations-for-com-and-net.html

Arabic:
كوم : .com
نت : .net
اورغ , اورج : .org
نطاق : .domain

Thai:
.คอม : .com
.เน็ต : .net

Chinese:
.中国 : .cn
.公司.中国 : .com.cn (posted on Wikipedia)
.网络.中国 : .net.cn (posted on Wikipedia)
.公司 : .com
.회사 : .com
회사 and 公司 being translations of the meaning of com (meaning company or commercial).
.网络 : .net

Korean:
.한국 : .kr
.컴 : .com
.회사 : .com
.넷 : .net
.기관 : .org
.통신 : .communication
.컴 : .computer

Japanese:
.日本 : .jp
.コム : .com
.ネット : .net
コム and 컴 being transliterations of com

Russian:
.ком : .com
.нет : .net
.орг : .org

Bulgarian:
.БГ : .bg
.Инфо : .info
.име : .name

Hebrew:
קום : .com
נט : .net
ארג : .org

Greek:
com : .κομ
net : .νετ

Hindi and Marathi and Nepali (All Indian languages)
.com : .कॉम
.net : .नेट

Urdu (India, Pakistan, Afghanistam, Iran)
کوم.com

Telugu (India)
కం.com
నెట్.net

Tamil (India)
.com : .காம்
.net : .நெட்

Kannada (India)
ಕಂ.com
ಕೊಂ.com

Gujarati (India)
કોમ.com (xn--0dc4c9d.com)
નેટ.net

Malayalam (India)
കോം.com
നെറ്റ്.net

Bengali (India)
কম.com
নেট.net

Latin languages
.com : .com
.net : .net
.com : .kom (all latin letters)

DktoInc
26th May 2010, 02:54 AM
Thank you.

o.c.
26th May 2010, 03:45 AM
If you don't mind sharing again, does "about three weeks" mean "a short time" or is it literal?

You have about three weeks to get fully invested, otherwise the whole business is just going to be of academic interest to you.

domainguru
26th May 2010, 05:35 AM
and Thai :)

.คอม : .com
.เน็ต : .net

Rubber Duck
26th May 2010, 04:53 PM

If you want a bloody prospectus go and invest with Lehman Brothers.

DktoInc
26th May 2010, 05:23 PM
My senior investment adviser tells me that you are full of shit. I think he is right. :yes:

Rubber Duck
26th May 2010, 05:42 PM
My senior investment adviser tells me that you are full of shit. I think he is right. :yes:

You will no doubt one day get the opportunity to put it to the test.

I am out of here, time to go the Gym.

sbe18
26th May 2010, 06:13 PM
from some news blog on google a few days ago.
--------

Others remark that Arabic URLs may deepen the divide between Arabic speakers and the rest of the world.

“It feels like it’s going to isolate the Arabic web rather than facilitate it,” online personality Baher Al-Hakim told ABC News. “It will be nearly impossible for English speakers to access those websites [with Arabic domain names].”

-----------------------

Gibberish from an 'online personality'.....IDN expert redux.

RD is the definition of an 'online personality'....congrats on passing 13,000 posts.. ;)
how many keyboards have their letter's rubbed off for that level ??

The whole idea that Americans (or the English speaking nationals in general) want to access Arabic language sites regardless of URL is laughable.

What b.s.

On a language / nation level... Israeli Arab businesses publish in Arabic, hebrew and english already...

It will be interesting to see which Arab businesses in Egypt/ UAE publish beyond Arabic/ English.

As the world is turning...Arabic to Chinese seems warranted over English.

Chinese who speak French are already in high demand by firms increasing their business in French Africa.

In the top 10 x 10 language to language grid...the shift of power shifted East a decade ago on the Internet and with SMS in native script content.

The Chinese to Clinton, bug off on North Korea, is symbolic of $2.5 trillion of leverage.

re: Arabic..... getting 26 URL's or 2 with com/net is straightforward.

remember....the hyphen is your friend. ;)

s/

_________

Lokai
27th May 2010, 02:46 AM

Maybe I want to know also. What happens in 3 weeks??

Rubber Duck
27th May 2010, 05:01 AM
Maybe I want to know also. What happens in 3 weeks??

Brussels ICANN meeting.

Rubber Duck
27th May 2010, 05:02 AM
There is going to be a lot of anger from those that cannot be arsed to follow what is going down!

DktoInc
27th May 2010, 08:25 AM
your British accent is a killer.

i have to use Google translate every time to translate english UK to english US :lol:

Rubber Duck
27th May 2010, 10:27 AM
your British accent is a killer.

i have to use Google translate every time to translate english UK to english US :lol:

To be precise, the genre of English that I speak is ENGLISH English.

Drewbert
27th May 2010, 05:27 PM
Word.

sarcle
27th May 2010, 08:07 PM

Game, set, match. +1 RD.

Also Dk, I've been watching you. You've been doing alright here since the rocky start you had. I was actually impressed. Why are you trying to annoy an IDN pioneer here? Is it jealousy? Just asking.

DktoInc
28th May 2010, 12:05 AM
Game, set, match. +1 RD.

Also Dk, I've been watching you. You've been doing alright here since the rocky start you had. I was actually impressed. Why are you trying to annoy an IDN pioneer here? Is it jealousy? Just asking.

Mr Sarcle,

your are right as always, greater things come to those who kiss ass.

Also,
I was a pioneer once too, :cool: then it all came down crushing. :yes:

sarcle
28th May 2010, 02:10 AM
I was a pioneer once too, :cool: then it all came down crushing. :yes:

Let me guess. You were playing The Oregon Trail and died of dysentery before you made it to Snake River.

DktoInc
28th May 2010, 06:22 AM
nop, grade 4-6 USSR

sarcle
28th May 2010, 09:58 PM
nop, grade 4-6 USSR

Eh.. I dated a girl (on this board) born and raised in the USSR. Doesn't make you a pioneer.

alpha
28th May 2010, 10:28 PM
Mr Sarcle,

your are right as always, greater things come to those who kiss ass.

you mean kiss fanny (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fanny) right :p

got to love the butchery of the English language by the yanks.

sarcle
28th May 2010, 10:50 PM
you mean kiss fanny (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fanny) right :p

Lol. This just brought back memories watching "scrambled" Cinemax when I was a kid, after the parents went to sleep, trying to "learn" about Fanny Hill.

If only the Internet was available back then.

got to love the butchery of the English language by the yanks.

Don't hate us just because we perfected it.

alpha
28th May 2010, 10:54 PM
Don't hate us just because we perfected it.

eh?

You've turned all the girl bits into bottoms.. how can that be perfecting anything.

Wot
29th May 2010, 02:07 AM

RD- what is it that they say about Americans and wankers? :)