PDA

View Full Version : what is good chinese IDN?

aboujouj83
4th May 2006, 09:18 PM
What is the min overture and google results needed?
Should I get .net when .com is taken?
I also heard that some of them are blocked by the government...when is it the case?

Thanks,
Aboujouj

Drewbert
4th May 2006, 09:24 PM
go to a chinese search engine

search for "democracy" (in chinese)

see what happens.

DON'T post the chinese script for democracy on this board.

or any of the other banned words.

thefabfive
4th May 2006, 09:28 PM
The biggest issue to take notice of with Chinese IDN is the variant issue. With Chinese there are usually two forms - Simplified Chinese (used in mainland China) and Traditional Chinese (used mainly in Taiwan and Hong Kong). If the Simplified version of a term is taken then the Traditional version will be blocked - but will appear available at the registrar level. When you try to register the term the registrar checks with the variant map at Verisign (I think) and returns an error because it is blocked. The best thing to do with Chinese terms is to check both Simplified and Traditional forms of the term - if they are both available then you should have no problem.

Also note that Simplified Chinese is the preferred form as the number of people in mainland China is about 50x that of Taiwan and Hong Kong.

aboujouj83
4th May 2006, 09:39 PM
Thanks thefabfive...I am in the process of registering some names, I will put them here once I am done. Not sure tho if any will get accepted by this complicated law.

Aboujouj

idn
4th May 2006, 10:08 PM
I also heard that some of them are blocked by the government...when is it the case?

Thanks,
Aboujouj

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_words_blocked_by_Chinese_government

aboujouj83
4th May 2006, 10:21 PM
What a waste of time! I spent the last hour trying to find something in chinese...after making a list of avaible ones, domainsite was saying taht it can't complete the process at the end....all of them fail!!!! Except one dance.net 跳舞.net (traditional). Any good?

Thanks,
Aboujouj

P.S: The habs five was saying:
If the Simplified version of a term is taken then the Traditional version will be blocked
But I saw the inverse case also happening...some simpliefied were blocked because the traditional was taken. Both for .com and .net. Please correct me if I am wrong.

thefabfive
4th May 2006, 10:28 PM
Yes, that is true. Sorry I didn't include the specifically but it does work both ways. You can get both forms of the term at mdbg.net - this saves alot of time.

aboujouj83
4th May 2006, 10:32 PM
Ok thanks. So what do you guys think of dance.net 跳舞.net (traditional) that I registered?

Thanks

Drewbert
5th May 2006, 01:49 AM
>You can get both forms of the term at mdbg.net

Of if you're on a Mac and have UnicodeChecker installed, you can highlight the script, go to the menu (in any app) and select Services->ChineseTextConvertor->Simplified

:^)

Also in the services menu is Unicode->ConvertToIDNHostname....

IDNCowboy
5th May 2006, 04:29 PM
Are you guys sure you get both forms of the word? Where in ICANN docs does it state this? I thought once they solve the variant issue you'll get one or the other..(whichever you regged)

I know some words allow both the simp and trad to be registered separately(but yes most get the variant error if one is regged)

I think dance.net is a nice name, traditional or not...

Taiwan has a population of 23 million. It's below Korea's 40M+ population but still it is a big market.

kenne
5th May 2006, 04:48 PM
Use US ovt, remember, Chinese version of "sex" get US ovt 3000-6000;
so if you get ovt>50, it's probably a good word.

Chinese IDN.net is often nice. So don't be afraid of going after .net.

aboujouj83
5th May 2006, 05:28 PM
Thanks Jeff and kenne...跳舞 gives 42 in us overture, but 2280 in overture china. So I guess it's not a bad start for me in the chinese world :). But finding arabic names takes much less time (for me), however when I think of the number of population of china, I get motivated to find some chinese names!

Aboujouj

touchring
5th May 2006, 05:31 PM
There are still popular .com left, i gathered about 20 terms >100 us ovt the past 2 weeks, and 2 >1000 terms. It's still more efficient to dig for chinese names than wait for rare drops or spend time hunting on forums.

markits
5th May 2006, 06:27 PM
To me a good domain is a potentially huge money maker, eg, 割引.com, two simp Chinese char that maybe means nonsense, but it has top Japan ovt bid of ¥3,664 (not a good example though). There are other tools for judging a domain's potential, but it seems that nobody wants to share, and I haven't seen it being mentioned here yet.

Also, single Chinese char com domain is definitly good, especially for long term investment purpose, since the total number is very limited. There are about 5000 common characters but you know there are 1.4 billion people in mainland China alone.