PDA

View Full Version : IDNs to be Featured at T.R.A.F.F.IC. Miami

sprewellpj
25th June 2010, 02:31 PM
Nice to see T.R.A.F.F.I.C. put IDNs on the agenda . . .

http://idnblog.com/2010/06/25/t-r-a-f-f-i-c-give-idns-fair/

tee1
25th June 2010, 04:02 PM
with ".whatever" being put in the same sentence as IDNs I am not getting my hopes up.

“3:00 Is the Gold Rush beginning or ending? The impact of the new gtld’s, IDN, and will .whatever be meaningful. When? How big an impact or none at all? Is the second coming of .com hope, hype or the future? How much is result oriented and how much is wishful thinking?”

Having said that, if the "IDN expert" that presents is a member here if you need help with research or anything else let us know. I would be more than willing to help as I am sure many others would be as well.

jose
25th June 2010, 04:24 PM
Title should be corrected to "IDNs to be bashed at T.R.A.F.F.IC. Miami"

tee1
25th June 2010, 04:29 PM
It is also my opinion that Rick always follows the money "his money". Why would he push something that he doesn't have a vested interest in? Unless he is setting something up with when the real IDNs are launched :no: IMO he is a great salesman, he could sell ice to the Eskimos so I believe he has a plan, I just don't think it will benefit many here. JM2C.

alpha
25th June 2010, 04:56 PM
interesting comment from Howard on his blog (http://howardneu.com/blog/cctld/WILL-IDNS-B-E-FEATURED-AT-TRAFFIC-SOUTH-BEACH.php?post_id=45&pgtitle=WILL%20IDNS%20B%20E%20FEATURED%20AT%20TRAFFIC%20SOUTH%20BEACH&category=cctld)

Rick and I have discussed whether or not IDNs should be included in a T.R.A.F.F.I.C. CONFERENCE. It was my thinking that the future of IDNs is very good and their use will be increasing by leaps and bounds, particularly in countries that do not use Arabic symbols and lettering. With the exception of North and South America, Western Europe, Australia and parts of Africa, the rest of the world uses Cyrrrilic, or Greek or Aramaic or Chinese or Japanese or any number of other characters for their languages and it is more than time to recognize this at T.R.A.F.F.I.C.

So there will be no IDN bashing, but rather there will be positive education on the growing market of IDN domains.

DktoInc
25th June 2010, 05:10 PM
interesting comment from Howard on his blog (http://howardneu.com/blog/cctld/WILL-IDNS-B-E-FEATURED-AT-TRAFFIC-SOUTH-BEACH.php?post_id=45&pgtitle=WILL%20IDNS%20B%20E%20FEATURED%20AT%20TRAFFIC%20SOUTH%20BEACH&category=cctld)

So Arabic domains are worthless, in his eyes? That's positive education on the growing market of IDN domains.

Any reason why he thinks that?
I think Bugsy knows.

thefabfive
25th June 2010, 05:24 PM
So Arabic domains are worthless, in his eyes? That's positive education on the growing market of IDN domains.

Any reason why he thinks that?
I think Bugsy knows.
He probably meant "Latin" and not "Arabic"

sarcle
25th June 2010, 11:50 PM
Cyrrrilic

:rolleyes:

Drewbert
26th June 2010, 05:42 AM
He probably meant "Latin" and not "Arabic"

I would say that's it.

He's probably thinking Arabic numerals (as opposed to Roman numerals).

Rubber Duck
26th June 2010, 08:26 AM
I would say that's it.

He's probably thinking Arabic numerals (as opposed to Roman numerals).

Still, I wouldn't want him representing me in court. He would probably plea bargain a traffic offence to Murder 1.

bwhhisc
26th June 2010, 01:43 PM
Good publicity to a good audience...idns have finally reached the outskirts of their "radar" :p

Not holding any hopes out for any earth shaking changes....but albeit were moving in the right direction.

Clotho
26th June 2010, 07:16 PM
I don't know if they are related but Michael Neu has owned IDN's since 2006.

From his website: NeptuneVentures.com (http://www.neptuneventure.com/about/)

" Neptune manages an Internet investment portfolio that targets the underdeveloped global Internet landscape. Neptune owns some of the top International Domain Names (IDN’s) across several languages including Chinese, Arabic, Russian, Spanish, Japanese among others. Many of these markets are underdeveloped compared to the Internet in the United States and are currently experiencing rapid growth."

tee1
26th June 2010, 09:55 PM
I don't know if they are related but Michael Neu has owned IDN's since 2006.

From his website: NeptuneVentures.com (http://www.neptuneventure.com/about/)

" Neptune manages an Internet investment portfolio that targets the underdeveloped global Internet landscape. Neptune owns some of the top International Domain Names (IDN’s) across several languages including Chinese, Arabic, Russian, Spanish, Japanese among others. Many of these markets are underdeveloped compared to the Internet in the United States and are currently experiencing rapid growth."

Great find Clotho! I believe "Neptune" was quite active around here several years ago, built up a nice portfolio. However, I don't know if they are related. "Neptune" is a long time IDNFer :D so if he is the expert presenting we should be alright ;)

sarcle
27th June 2010, 07:18 PM
with ".whatever" being put in the same sentence as IDNs I am not getting my hopes up.

“3:00 Is the Gold Rush beginning or ending? The impact of the new gtld’s, IDN, and will .whatever be meaningful. When? How big an impact or none at all? Is the second coming of .com hope, hype or the future? How much is result oriented and how much is wishful thinking?”

Having said that, if the "IDN expert" that presents is a member here if you need help with research or anything else let us know. I would be more than willing to help as I am sure many others would be as well.

I'm in total agreement. Lumping IDN with new gtlds (as if they are the same) and then allowing only an hour of discussion for BOTH will not bring anything meaningful forward. Period.

@RD

I take it your voicemail isn't full of messages from Rick asking for your opinioin.

Rubber Duck
27th June 2010, 09:40 PM
I'm in total agreement. Lumping IDN with new gtlds (as if they are the same) and then allowing only an hour of discussion for BOTH will not bring anything meaningful forward. Period.

@RD

I take it your voicemail isn't full of messages from Rick asking for your opinioin.

I seem to remember Neptune buying a few domains. Who knows what goes on there?

squirrel
14th October 2010, 05:51 PM
They took the word "IDN" off the schedule
http://www.targetedtraffic.com/miami/schedule.php

bwhhisc
14th October 2010, 10:18 PM

IS THE GOLD RUSH OVER, OR ARE THERE MORE NUGGETS TO MINE?

I almost thought this was the IDN session...LOL :p

jose
15th October 2010, 12:31 AM
Title should be corrected to "IDNs to be bashed at T.R.A.F.F.IC. Miami"

Went from negative to neutral. Not bad.

bumblebee man
15th October 2010, 10:43 AM

You shouldn't be too surprised. They don't do IDNs because they are dotcom guys. That's why they hype up .co. :rolleyes:

bwhhisc
15th October 2010, 11:27 AM
When IDNs get larger amounts of steady verifiable TRAFFIC (and revenues) they will get a much warmer welcome. ;)

Times are changing, within a few years IDNs may be among the bigger sellers at auctions as most ASCII domainers are still asking ridiculous prices. The majority of the last few auctions have been busts compared to expectations.

IDNCowboy
15th October 2010, 04:27 PM
When IDNs get larger amounts of steady verifiable TRAFFIC (and revenues) they will get a much warmer welcome. ;)

Times are changing, within a few years IDNs may be among the bigger sellers at auctions as most ASCII domainers are still asking ridiculous prices. The majority of the last few auctions have been busts compared to expectations.

so why is .co getting a bigger highlight than IDNs??

sarcle
15th October 2010, 08:42 PM

The big boys raped the .co registry and have tons to sell. = Bigger spotlight.

The big boys didn't catch on quite so fast with IDN and have little, if any, to sell. = Minor footnote

Let's face it. If domainers haven't caught on by now. They never will. Oh well.

jose
16th October 2010, 01:31 AM

The big boys didn't catch on quite so fast with IDN and have little, if any, to sell. = Minor footnote

You people need not read any other line about the idn domains secondary market behavior.

This should be printed in gold. You're absolutely 110% right!

May I suggest we offer then something for cheap, so they could start enjoying the ride also?

bwhhisc
16th October 2010, 01:39 AM

You know....thats a good question. All I can figure is that "too many" people think .co will catch on as "company" or that bunches of people are typing in _ _ _ _ _ _.co (leaving off the "m" of com). I still haven't figured out the whole typein thing...I guess you are either born with the gene or not. :p I have never searched by typing in the url box, unless I was putting in a specific site. Maybe the .co guys are catching typos for those that forget the "m" on the end.

Wot
16th October 2010, 02:08 AM
You know....thats a good question. All I can figure is that "too many" people think .co will catch on as "company" or that bunches of people are typing in _ _ _ _ _ _.co (leaving off the "m" of com). I still haven't figured out the whole typein thing...I guess you are either born with the gene or not. :p I have never searched by typing in the url box, unless I was putting in a specific site. Maybe the .co guys are catching typos for those that forget the "m" on the end.

I think Sarcie hit the nail on the head. Most of the quality keyword .co and those with type in's will have been taken by the usual suspects who are now trying to offload before the euphoria dies down and I believe .co are also major sponsors of TRAFFIC Miami.

That said,having seen the list the most likely result for the majority of them will be "pass".

domainguru
16th October 2010, 08:05 AM

Absolutely right. The big boys were that at "sunrise" for .co, and planning to dump the ones that don't earn their bacon from .com fallover traffic.

So where were the big boys at IDN sunrise? Many still learning what ASCII domains were, some others I guess still in nappies.

blastfromthepast
16th October 2010, 08:15 PM
There was no IDN sunrise. There was an announced testbed, that wasn't based any approved standard. Just a test. When the punycode standard got approved, the testbed got converted to punycode, and then all the testbed domains were thrown out of Network Solutions. It was only half a decade later that major browsers started supporting punycode conversion. Its has now been ten years. In the world of business, few have the kind of patience or long term planning. Most US companies look to the next quarter. Not the next quarter century.

idn
17th October 2010, 12:23 AM
Don King is a speaker at the event? Why?!?

bwhhisc
17th October 2010, 01:37 AM

He was a last minute add on to the event....seems he is local and is friends with one of Ricks buddies. I think he would be interesting to hear speak as he has a pretty colorful career...plus he brings publicity to their convention and potentially another pair of deep pockets to their auction. ;)

blastfromthepast
17th October 2010, 02:41 AM
Rick has some interesting friends.

Drewbert
17th October 2010, 02:55 AM

Same reason that tosser Ben Stein was a speaker at one a few years back.

sarcle
17th October 2010, 04:43 AM
Same reason that tosser Ben Stein was a speaker at one a few years back.

He helped promote Mike Tyson?

Rubber Duck
17th October 2010, 10:36 AM
There was no IDN sunrise. There was an announced testbed, that wasn't based any approved standard. Just a test. When the punycode standard got approved, the testbed got converted to punycode, and then all the testbed domains were thrown out of Network Solutions. It was only half a decade later that major browsers started supporting punycode conversion. Its has now been ten years. In the world of business, few have the kind of patience or long term planning. Most US companies look to the next quarter. Not the next quarter century.

Which is a shame because the next quarter is going to be really shitty for US Banks and hence everyone else behind the "Freedom Curtain".

The biggest problem is that most housing transactions in the US over the last five years or so appear to be fraudulent, so we now have a situation where the banks cannot foreclose and may just have to waive a lot of the mortgage advances good-bye, leaving the borrowers living rent free but with no credit rating. This is going to hit just as the Alt A mortgages reset.

So basically the Real Estate recovery on which Ben and Obama have set all their hopes is complete train crash.

For us, it basically means that unless a lot of wealthy people wise up and see IDN as a way of saving their evaporating capital as the US dollar goes into a death plunge, then the US is pretty much irrelevant to the IDN market.

bwhhisc
17th October 2010, 10:55 AM
Which is a shame because the next quarter is going to be really shitty for US Banks and hence everyone else behind the "Freedom Curtain". The biggest problem is that most housing transactions in the US over the last five years or so appear to be fraudulent, so we now have a situation where the banks cannot foreclose and may just have to waive a lot of the mortgage advances good-bye, leaving the borrowers living rent free but with no credit rating. This is going to hit just as the Alt A mortgages reset.So basically the Real Estate recovery on which Ben and Obama have set all their hopes is complete train crash.

The majority of the housing transactions were not fraudulent, and the "foreclosure" scandel is IMO blown out of proportion by the media
and those :shit: who see this as a way to profit from it on Wall Street.

This all began with one destitute family and their smart lawyer who found a "loophole" in the law as the guy from the bank who "approved" the paperwork was basically rubber stamping paperwork prepared by others. Never mind they hadn't paid a dime on their mortgage in 2+ years. Turns out that most of the banks were doing the same so now they are being called on the carpet for the practice.

So the banks are covering their asses with a reaudit of all forclosure documents etc. before other lawyers try begin the same process and challenges. Word is that the "clearinghouse" for the mortgage documents is a bit of a shambles so many will get a nice break until that gets sorted out. Many may get a really long free ride and that will certainly be a detriment to the system and impact the recovery.

The bottom line is the simple fact that most of these home owners should never have gotten mortgages in the first place and are now unable to pay their mortgages and the banks are using legal means to foreclose and resell the properties to cut their losses. Unfortunately the banks were cutting corners on the process and now they (and in turn "we") will end up paying the price in more ways than one.

http://www.getmoneyenergy.com/2010/10/what-is-foreclosure-gate-scandal-foreclosure-crisis/

Rubber Duck
17th October 2010, 01:21 PM
I think you will find it is much more than a loophole.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/230319-foreclosuregate-time-to-break-up-the-too-big-to-fail-banks?source=dashboard_macro-view

The problem is that those that are trying to foreclose cannot legally own the mortgages because in order to avoid Federal Taxes they were specifically set up not to be able to legally own mortgages.

It is not therefore difficult to see why they cannot legally foreclose.

To compound the problem they decided to fraudulently bluff their way out a Catch 22.

The majority of the housing transactions were not fraudulent, and the "foreclosure" scandel is IMO blown out of proportion by the media

This all began with one destitute family and their smart lawyer who found a "loophole" in the law as the guy from the bank who "approved" the paperwork was basically rubber stamping paperwork prepared by others. Never mind they hadn't paid a dime on their mortgage in 2+ years. Turns out that most of the banks were doing the same so now they are being called on the carpet for the practice.

So the banks are covering their asses with a reaudit of all forclosure documents etc. before other lawyers try begin the same process and challenges. Word is that the "clearinghouse" for the mortgage documents is a bit of a shambles so many will get a nice break until that gets sorted out. Many may get a really long free ride and that will certainly be a detriment to the system and impact the recovery.

The bottom line is the simple fact that most of these home owners should never have gotten mortgages in the first place and are now unable to pay their mortgages and the banks are using legal means to foreclose and resell the properties to cut their losses. Unfortunately the banks were cutting corners on the process and now they (and in turn "we") will end up paying the price in more ways than one.

http://www.getmoneyenergy.com/2010/10/what-is-foreclosure-gate-scandal-foreclosure-crisis/

bumblebee man
17th October 2010, 01:41 PM
then the US is pretty much irrelevant to the IDN market.

Of course it is. It's not Rick Schwartz or any other American deciding about the future of IDN. It's the natives.

17th October 2010, 01:53 PM
Of course it is. It's not Rick Schwartz or any other American deciding about the future of IDN. It's the natives.

The natives decided, sometimes thousands of years ago, Only that until now they had no way to use the native and usually only characters they are familiar with online, Unlike those North American (Mostly) Natives that also decided to use the one and usually only characters they are familiar with, And now all the rest of the internet world are about to have that "luxury" also, So imo, If you think about it, it's not a matter of decision, more of a matter of choice.

As for everyone who chose to ignore idn's in the past, i guess at this point we should only thank them for that. Many got what they got because no one was interested.

bwhhisc
17th October 2010, 04:22 PM
The natives decided, sometimes thousands of years ago, Only that until now they had no way to use the native and usually only characters they are familiar with online, Unlike those North American (Mostly) Natives that also decided to use the one and usually only characters they are familiar with, And now all the rest of the internet world are about to have that "luxury" also, So imo, If you think about it, it's not a matter of decision, more of a matter of choice.

As for everyone who chose to ignore idn's in the past, i guess at this point we should only thank them for that. Many got what they got because no one was interested.

Well said. ;)

mdw
18th October 2010, 04:57 AM
Well of course "IDNs" won't sink or swim based on anybody, or any one country - that's a stupid concept. They will be huge hits or flops on a language by language basis. I'd already consider many of them to be complete busts. And I think that some are sure to be winners.

alpha
18th October 2010, 05:02 AM
..I'd already consider many of them to be complete busts. And I think that some are sure to be winners.

just curious, which do you think are busts already, and what is your prediction for winners?

mdw
18th October 2010, 12:25 PM
Well I think Vietnamese is hopeless, they seem to prefer omitting the marks that change the ASCII letters into Vietnamese script. Every Vietnamese person I've talked to seems to concur, although I readily admit that's not a sure fire indicator.

I think Japanese scripts for example, and Russian and others are already done deals. There's a strong enough cultural affinity for the languages that they will gravitate toward their native language domains. In the twentieth century France stubbornly refused to start using English for everything. Same thing happens now in many parts of the globe when they realize there's no need to use English domain names.

On my way to TRAFFIC now, will keep an eye out for any signs of IDN.

bwhhisc
18th October 2010, 01:25 PM
On my way to TRAFFIC now, will keep an eye out for any signs of IDN.

Bring a mirror just in case. :p
Have fun at the show.

Drewbert
18th October 2010, 02:24 PM

Sorry Bill, but you're totally wrong on this one.

This is going to freeze the property market up completely, and the banks are going to go south (finally).

A foreclosure document re-audit by the banks won;t help one bit. The reason they were letting fraudulent documents through to the courts was because they can't produce any proper paperwork. The entity holding title on the house is not the same entity as the one that all the money is owed to. And there is no paper trail.

The CDS's were fraudulent from day one, and the holders of those CDS's are coming back to the banks for their investment refunds. And the banks know it.

http://www.zerohedge.com/article/wells-fargo-prepares-tsunami-loan-repurchase-demands

If the USG do another bailout, it's revolution time.

So this time it's goodnight nurse for the TBTF banks.

Prepare accordingly.

mdw
18th October 2010, 10:12 PM
Well no mention of IDN that I noticed, except for a comment I made to someone in passing. But I did confirm that Ray Neu is NOT the "neptune" who used to hang around here. Now back to our scheduled programming.

IDNCowboy
19th October 2010, 12:21 AM
Well no mention of IDN that I noticed, except for a comment I made to someone in passing. But I did confirm that Ray Neu is NOT the "neptune" who used to hang around here. Now back to our scheduled programming.

Michael and Ray are unrelated.

bwhhisc
19th October 2010, 11:28 AM
This is going to freeze the property market up completely, and the banks are going to go south (finally). A foreclosure document re-audit by the banks won;t help one bit. The reason they were letting fraudulent documents through to the courts was because they can't produce any proper paperwork. The entity holding title on the house is not the same entity as the one that all the money is owed to. And there is no paper trail.

Always someone wanting to drop the bombshell :p...she probably has shorted all her bank stocks and hoping for a killing.
This story has just about fizzled as headlines in the US news....barely a third string story on the financial networks or nightly news. And they love bad new stories like this one to hype their ratings if they even think they they have a half ass horse to ride. Are there problem...absolutely but it is most likely going to be a small percentage.

New reported yesterday is that Bank of America is moving forward on foreclosures, and seems likely that others will follow. If there was indeed something sinister here the Wall Street boys and Institutional Investors would be dumping their bank stocks if they even felt a slight south wind blowing....no doubt they have already abused the "news" to make a few billions. ;)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101018/ap_on_bi_ge/us_bank_of_america_foreclosures

BANK OF AMERICA STARTS THAW IN FORECLOSURE FREEZE
AP – FILE - By ALAN ZIBEL, AP Real Estate Writer Alan Zibel, Ap Real Estate Writer – Mon Oct 18, 7:24 pm ET

WASHINGTON – The pace of U.S. home foreclosures may not slow much after all. Bank of America said Monday that it plans to resume seizing more than 100,000 homes in 23 states next week. It said it has a legal right to foreclose despite accusations that documents used in the process were flawed.

Other major lenders have yet to say whether they will follow suit and resume foreclosures in the 23 states that require a judge's approval. But analysts said they expect the move by the nation's biggest bank will mean other lenders will proceed with a wave of foreclosures that have depressed the housing market.

Banking analyst Nancy Bush of NAB Research said other lenders are likely to follow because foreclosure practices were similar from bank to bank. "We'll be back to square one by the end of the year," she said.

Rubber Duck
19th October 2010, 02:41 PM
Sorry, I didn't realise you were down to your last 23 States. I guess these are the ones that even most Americans have never heard of.

Always someone wanting to drop the bombshell :p...she probably has shorted all her bank stocks and hoping for a killing.
This story has just about fizzled as headlines in the US news....barely a third string story on the financial networks or nightly news. And they love bad new stories like this one to hype their ratings if they even think they they have a half ass horse to ride. Are there problem...absolutely but it is most likely going to be a small percentage.

New reported yesterday is that Bank of America is moving forward on foreclosures, and seems likely that others will follow. If there was indeed something sinister here the Wall Street boys and Institutional Investors would be dumping their bank stocks if they even felt a slight south wind blowing....no doubt they have already abused the "news" to make a few billions. ;)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101018/ap_on_bi_ge/us_bank_of_america_foreclosures

BANK OF AMERICA STARTS THAW IN FORECLOSURE FREEZE
AP – FILE - By ALAN ZIBEL, AP Real Estate Writer Alan Zibel, Ap Real Estate Writer – Mon Oct 18, 7:24 pm ET

WASHINGTON – The pace of U.S. home foreclosures may not slow much after all. Bank of America said Monday that it plans to resume seizing more than 100,000 homes in 23 states next week. It said it has a legal right to foreclose despite accusations that documents used in the process were flawed.

Other major lenders have yet to say whether they will follow suit and resume foreclosures in the 23 states that require a judge's approval. But analysts said they expect the move by the nation's biggest bank will mean other lenders will proceed with a wave of foreclosures that have depressed the housing market.

Banking analyst Nancy Bush of NAB Research said other lenders are likely to follow because foreclosure practices were similar from bank to bank. "We'll be back to square one by the end of the year," she said.

Drewbert
19th October 2010, 02:44 PM
You're expecting the financial networks or news channels that didn't even see the property bubble (or any of this shit) coming to be on the ball about ANYTHING?

BAC is full of shit. It's a simple as that.

As for the wall street boys and institutional investors, the wall street boys are out of it already - http://www.zerohedge.com/article/insider-selling-buying-update-2019-1 - and the institutional investors don't have a fucking clue what's really going on because they're being lied to.

jose
21st October 2010, 03:54 AM
One have to admit... the conference was HOT! http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=lf#!/album.php?aid=88214&id=1089941515