PDA

View Full Version : Pengyou.com/.net sells for $200K

Wot
28th June 2010, 11:39 AM
Friend in pinyin.

Wonder if 朋友.com will attract attention, owned by TDC.

tee1
28th June 2010, 12:20 PM
Interesting and Investment.net only sold for $25,000.

Pengyou.net vs Investment.net @ IDNPlace (http://idnplace.com/pengyou-net-vs-investment-net)

alexd
28th June 2010, 12:36 PM
You'd imagine that sometime in the future, the IDN version of that will be worth at least 5 times the value of what the ASCII sold for.

g
28th June 2010, 03:22 PM
You'd imagine that sometime in the future, the IDN version of that will be worth at least 5 times the value of what the ASCII sold for.

I don't think so , simple reason is that I don't expect that an IDN will receive more traffic than the ASCII version even in the near future

till now top arabic IDNs are being sold for x,xxx$ !!

the increase of value of IDNs will depend on number of IDNs registered and number of IDNs developed, up till now the dot.biz and dot.info have more names registered at them

chrisofmel
28th June 2010, 04:34 PM
I don't think so , simple reason is that I don't expect that an IDN will receive more traffic than the ASCII version even in the near future

the increase of value of IDNs will depend on number of IDNs registered and number of IDNs developed, up till now the dot.biz and dot.info have more names registered at them

I agree

touchring
28th June 2010, 04:46 PM

I think pengyou.com is not purchased for its traffic. I doubt it will have more than 100 natural type-in a day.

tee1
28th June 2010, 07:07 PM
I think pengyou.com is not purchased for its traffic. I doubt it will have more than 100 natural type-in a day.

probably not near that many natural types- in a day, maybe in a month, maybe.

"pengyou” has unique monthly searches totally 2,900"

Wot
28th June 2010, 11:08 PM

Peng you 60,500

朋友 2,740,000

sarcle
28th June 2010, 11:25 PM

And history repeats itself.

Domainers register up a ton of domains in '98. Along comes 2000 and the Internet explodes. Sites are popping up left and right. And this is just an analogy: A guy goes to register a domain to expand his business and and finds out Shop.com was already taken so the guy registers BatteryShop.com and builds a site and sells batteries. Then another company from New England comes along that sells batteries and registers batteryshopne.com and builds a site. So gradually the dollar amount of "Shop.com" and "BatteryShop.com" along with the amount of type-ins grows larger.

It'll be the same with IDN.

tee1
29th June 2010, 12:59 AM
Peng you 60,500

朋友 2,740,000

thanks for the correction wot,
its interesting that mdbg.net doens't translate "peng you (http://www.mdbg.net/chindict/chindict.php?page=worddict&wdrst=0&wdqb=Peng+you)"

but it does translate "pengyou (http://www.mdbg.net/chindict/chindict.php?page=worddict&wdrst=0&wdqb=pengyou)" as 朋友

kartik786
29th June 2010, 06:53 AM
sweet, could you please do the same search analysis and cpc for my chinese mba " 工商管理硕士 " domain ?

or maybe tell me how to do it?

mgrohan
29th June 2010, 07:07 AM
sweet, could you please do the same search analysis and cpc for my chinese mba " 工商管理硕士 " domain ?

or maybe tell me how to do it?

https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal
https://adwords.google.com/select/TrafficEstimatorSandbox

touchring
29th June 2010, 08:23 AM

As a pinyin, Pengyou wouldn't have a lot of Baidu or Google searches pinyin, but Chinese surfers have been conditioned to use pinyin for domains. Baidu itself is pinyin for those who don't know yet. lol

Drewbert
29th June 2010, 08:57 AM
Baidu itself is pinyin for those who don't know yet.

Right now, it is. Yes.

dotworx
30th June 2010, 02:18 PM
According to the WHOIS, I suspect it is Tencent, the largest IM (QQ) provider, who wishes to use the name to build a SNS. So it has nothing to do with the name's search volume or typein.

domainguru
2nd July 2010, 01:11 PM
According to the WHOIS, I suspect it is Tencent, the largest IM (QQ) provider, who wishes to use the name to build a SNS. So it has nothing to do with the name's search volume or typein.

All those things are connected.