Thai
$4000.

mdw
13th July 2010, 12:45 AM
VDO - great domain!

NameYourself
13th July 2010, 02:02 AM
VDO - great domain!

Does that mean it is an abbreviation? ..translation tools seem to indicate it means "video" but a translit / borrowed word.. can a native better explain its meaning and use? Might be interested if it is a common / prime term for movies.

mdw
13th July 2010, 05:56 AM
Ask trafficdomainer, he's a native speaker. Although this is a transliteration, it's my understanding that it is the primary term for the english word "video" When I hear Thai people talking about videos, video clips, etc. they pronounce it this way - vee-dee-oh and they write it this way วิดีโอ.

Sorry for stepping on your sales thread Blast, but this is a strong domain, people should have a lot of confidence after a public vetting process.

domainguru
13th July 2010, 11:38 AM
Yes, its a translit of the English word "video":

วิ (V)
ดี (D)
โอ (O)

But none the worse for that. After all, the Thai words for "game/s" is also a translit from English ....... it really matters not where words come from originally, just what their use is in the target language.

blastfromthepast
13th July 2010, 06:33 PM
Thanks to MDW, TRAFFICDOMAINER, and DOMAINGURU for confirmation. Comments here are always welcome!

Terms: Now listening to offers $4000+.

TrafficDomainer
14th July 2010, 09:25 PM
"วิดีโอ" is a lesser spelled translit of "V D O". Actually it is not a very common enuciation of the word VDO in Thai as the sara ei (the vowel above "ว" here shortens the V. The keyword gets 2,900 exact google monthly searches as compared to the more commonly spelled translit "วีดีโอ" at 33,100 monthly searches (exact). So although one may think it doesn't matter how the word was derived, the common enunciation used by native Thai speakers for the translit in Thai does matter here and hence the lower search number.

NameYourself - The most common word for movie(s) in Thai is "หนัง"

blastfromthepast
15th July 2010, 06:32 AM
http://th.wikipedia.org/wiki/วิดีโอ

domainguru
15th July 2010, 02:36 PM
"วิดีโอ" is a lesser spelled translit of "V D O". Actually it is not a very common enuciation of the word VDO in Thai as the sara ei (the vowel above "ว" here shortens the V. The keyword gets 2,900 exact google monthly searches as compared to the more commonly spelled translit "วีดีโอ" at 33,100 monthly searches (exact). So although one may think it doesn't matter how the word was derived, the common enunciation used by native Thai speakers for the translit in Thai does matter here and hence the lower search number.

NameYourself - The most common word for movie(s) in Thai is "หนัง"

Or you could of course look at google search results:

วีดีโอ - 3,330,000 results
วิดีโอ - 9,170,000 results

So your assertion that "วิดีโอ" is somehow "lesser spelled", is somewhat open to doubt .... seems plenty of Thai people spell it as "วิดีโอ" - 3 times as many in fact in written thai.

And what has any of this got to to do with "how the word was derived"?

TrafficDomainer
16th July 2010, 06:37 AM
Or you could of course look at google search results:

วีดีโอ - 3,330,000 results
วิดีโอ - 9,170,000 results

So your assertion that "วิดีโอ" is somehow "lesser spelled", is somewhat open to doubt .... seems plenty of Thai people spell it as "วิดีโอ" - 3 times as many in fact in written thai.

And what has any of this got to to do with "how the word was derived"?

I don't think google search results matter as much as keyword monthly search volume. I believe what counts is how many times people search certain keywords not how many times you see them being listed on google search results which by the way fluctuate from day to day and depending on different factors.

Once I got the search result on "เกมส์" (game(s) in Thai at 40 million, today I got it at 5.35 million and "เกม" (game) at 5.6 million but the search volume for the former exceeds the latter by about 2 times eventhough the latter showed more search results when I checked

Aditionally I don't get the same google search results for the two versions of videos in Thai. I just got:8.1 and 7.2 million results respectively. Clearly this fluctuates.

Based on Thai enunciation, it is arguable that "วิดีโอ" is most probably derived from "video" and "วีดีโอ" is derived from the abbreviation "VDO"and Thais search the abbreviated version by more than 10 times (exact) based on Google Keyword Tools.

domainguru
17th July 2010, 05:30 PM
As we both know, Thais really don't search for either term on its own. So it really doesn't matter whether one term gets a couple of thousand searches per month or just a few hundred. The numbers are so low to make them almost irrelevant.

Also, strange to "trust" google adsense search volumes if you don't trust the basic google search numbers. Personally I've never trusted the Google search volume numbers in Thailand to any degree. What was that "renewable energy" name up for sale here that showed 30K searches per month in the google adsense tool. Just didn't ring true.

Both names are decent, but I wouldn't categorize either as a search term of any note. If you were to judge value on search volume, it would be $50 or something.

TrafficDomainer
18th July 2010, 06:58 PM
As we both know, Thais really don't search for either term on its own. So it really doesn't matter whether one term gets a couple of thousand searches per month or just a few hundred. The numbers are so low to make them almost irrelevant.

Also, strange to "trust" google adsense search volumes if you don't trust the basic google search numbers. Personally I've never trusted the Google search volume numbers in Thailand to any degree. What was that "renewable energy" name up for sale here that showed 30K searches per month in the google adsense tool. Just didn't ring true.

Both names are decent, but I wouldn't categorize either as a search term of any note. If you were to judge value on search volume, it would be $50 or something.

1) Whether it's in English or Thai, the keyword "vdo" or "video" themselves relatively don't get much search volumes on their own, I would say that they are more of brandable memorable names as opposed to being "search terms"

But asserting that "Thais spell/search for the keyword video (วิดีโอ) 3 times more than "vdo" (วีดีโอ) based on what you see on "google search results" doesn't make much sense to me. As indicated these "google search results" can fluctuate from day to day and sometimes minute to minute based on different factors which one can google for the reasons why. The search volume numbers from google keyword tool on the other hand do not fluctuate from minute to minute. They are indeed indicative of what "Thais search" on the internet whereas "google search results" do not necessarily.

2) To me, there are no reasons to believe that the the search volume numbers from google keyword tool for the Thai language are erroneous. The example http://www.idnforums.com/forums/22083-renewableenergy-com-thai-domain.html about the search volume for the Thai keyword "พลังงานทดแทน" (renewable energy) in Thai that you mentioned "didnt ring true" is actually open to doubt. If you look at the site that gets #1 on google serp for this keyword, ie: http://www.dede.go.th/dede/index.php?id=35 , truehits (the Thai government stats body) reports that this site gets about 700 UIP per day (http://truehits.net/stat.php?login=dede), or roughly 21,000 a month, so I don't see any sufficient evidence to suggest that google keyword tool search volume number is doubtful for this term as the evidence seems to justify the search volume number. Afterall, there is a growing interest (academic and commercial) concerning "renewable energy" in Thailand and there have been exhibitions and conferences on this topic of late.

So to summarize, with the reasons given above, I too do say that both terms are decent especilly for brandability but I stand by my assertion that "วีดีโอ" (vdo) is searched/"spelled" by Thais more than 10 times compared to วิดีโอ (video) [33,100 vs 2,900] and it is the "search volume" as opposed to "google search results" that is more relevant to determine which keyword is the "more spelled /searched version". "วีดีโอ" (vdo) is therefore the primary version used in the Thai language.

domainguru
18th July 2010, 09:02 PM
You might want to recall this:

------
4) Truehits (Thai government search service) shows just 631 monthly searches for "พลังงานทดแทน". this is the sort of number I would expect for the term. With the space in, "พลังงาน ทดแทน", just 19 monthly searches.
---------

But google showed 40K searches per month.

Those two don't add up, in any way at all do they. Its either 631 searches or 40K, it can't be both can it?

And if it was 40K, I'm sure you would have bought it.

Google takes all kinds of short-cuts in producing their search volume numbers for countries which they have little economic interest in. They don't even have an office in Thailand do they. Why would they when their income is nearly zero here...

They probably sample search volumes for a few hours per month and multiply that out, saves a lot of money compared with actually crunching numbers for the entire month.

Have you looked at the CPC numbers they print for this country? They say $0.30 for this and $0.50 for that keyword and neither keyword actually has any bidders. The advertisers for most keywords have hardly changed in the last 4 years since I have monitored them.

I know this stuff is difficult for you to monitor actively since you don't actually live in Thailand any more.

TrafficDomainer
18th July 2010, 11:01 PM
You might want to recall this:

------
4) Truehits (Thai government search service) shows just 631 monthly searches for "พลังงานทดแทน". this is the sort of number I would expect for the term. With the space in, "พลังงาน ทดแทน", just 19 monthly searches.
---------

But google showed 40K searches per month.

Those two don't add up, in any way at all do they. Its either 631 searches or 40K, it can't be both can it?

And if it was 40K, I'm sure you would have bought it.

Google takes all kinds of short-cuts in producing their search volume numbers for countries which they have little economic interest in. They don't even have an office in Thailand do they. Why would they when their income is nearly zero here...

They probably sample search volumes for a few hours per month and multiply that out, saves a lot of money compared with actually crunching numbers for the entire month.

Have you looked at the CPC numbers they print for this country? They say $0.30 for this and $0.50 for that keyword and neither keyword actually has any bidders. The advertisers for most keywords have hardly changed in the last 4 years since I have monitored them.

I know this stuff is difficult for you to monitor actively since you don't actually live in Thailand any more.

Truehits (Thai government search service) only records searches from websites that are in their network and those not listed are not included, that's why the search volume is lower than google keyword tool. The 40K google search volume you mentioned was actually broad search (not exact) if we are comparing apples to apples here. I just checked, Truehits reported 6,807 searches for the keyword พลังงานทดแทน in June 2010 which again only counts searches from sites listed with them whereas Google Adword Keyword tool search volume for the same period was 18,100 and it includes the searches from all the sites. So, again there is no sufficient evidence to suggest that the "search volumes" from google keyword tool for the Thai market are erroneous.

I don't understand how not currently living in Thailand at the moment makes it difficult for me to monitor things actively when all the numbers and info are available through the internet. I could understand, however, that you being a non-native Thai speaker who is somewhat familiar with the Thai language could misunderstand similarly spelled terms and mistake the lesser searched Thai term as the more searched term. As far as Thai advertisers are concerned, I have noticed many new online advertisers on google adwords for a number of prime keywords compared to a few years ago, some of which there were no bidders earlier. As for Google Office in Thailand, I am not sure if this has now been open, they have a growing team of Thais working in their Singapore office for sometimes now and there have been talks about them opening an office in Thailand, not sure if this has now been materialized though.

kukgle
24th December 2010, 04:55 AM
Wrong tread post.

blastfromthepast
24th December 2010, 07:34 AM
Wrong tread post.

Thanks for the bump. I've been thinking about this domain recently myself. :eek:

Renew or dump? Is the Thai market any good?

mdw
24th December 2010, 04:22 PM
feel free to push it to my account Blast, the Thai market is hopeless, and it's got the wrong squiggly above that letter anyway 555 :D

blastfromthepast
24th December 2010, 07:14 PM
feel free to push it to my account Blast, the Thai market is hopeless, and it's got the wrong squiggly above that letter anyway 555 :D

This was a copy paste from wiki. :eek:

blastfromthepast
24th December 2010, 07:17 PM
"วิดีโอ"About 12,200,000 results (0.14 seconds)

Very slow growth in the Thai internet Market, only a few million more than before.

TrafficDomainer
24th December 2010, 10:04 PM
It's not really so much about the slow growth in the Thai internet market as you can see from here:

http://internet.nectec.or.th/webstats/internetuser.iir?Sec=internetuser

It is rather both the keywords วิดีโอ (video) and วีดีโอ (VDO) are not much searched by Thais on their own.

Most of the big cities (such as Bangkok, Chiangmai and Phuket) in Thailand already have internet access which account for the majority of the 20 million Thai users today but in remote areas the internet growth is going to come when 3G via mobile phones are in widespread use by the other 50 million users (and these are mainly people with limited or no English [great target market for IDN adoption]. Unfortunately, faster mobile internet access in remote areas has been politically stalled for the past 2 years but the sky is looking brigther now as the government has at least recently given True Telecom (their main political financier) the greenlight to use the infastructure that has already been built.

blastfromthepast
25th December 2010, 07:05 PM
...not much searched by Thais...

That was Google webpage stats, not search stats.

TrafficDomainer
25th December 2010, 09:16 PM
I got very different google webpage stats:

About 13,900,000 results (0.11 seconds) for วิดีโอ

and for what it is worth: About 20,900,000 results (0.19 seconds) for วีดีโอ

Clearly, these numbers fluctuate very quickly. In my opinion what matters most is the search volume stats not the webpage stats. When keywords are not so much searched, they are unlikely going to be good benchmarks or tell any story about the internet growth of a country.

blastfromthepast
25th December 2010, 10:38 PM
Webpage stats, especially for common words, show internet growth. Search volume tells us if a certain term is hot or not, and depends on the popularity, etc., may rise or fall.

In any case, taking offers from $1000 for this domain.