PDA

View Full Version : hó.tel - Icelandic IDN Domain Hack

Toni
18th July 2010, 07:14 AM
what you think??

a bit of a far shot combining IDN and Domain Hacks but I had a feeling this one is worth the reg.

seamo
18th July 2010, 07:29 AM
How about I sell you hótel.net for x,xxx and you sink your $$$ in a much safer bet ;)

Guarantee you'll get reg fee back :)

Toni
18th July 2010, 01:05 PM
lol

nice domain...

why don't you increase the value of your domain by buying mine as well :D

anyone has an idea on the reseller-value of hó.tel??

Thank you :)

dnnames
18th July 2010, 01:44 PM
-$10. $10 for the opportunity cost of the time wasted to register the domain.

alpha
18th July 2010, 01:51 PM

Thank you :)

Hi Toni,

So this is how it usually goes:

1. you ask for appraisal for an obviously worthless domain

2. People who have an opinion worth listening too, take the time out of their day to explain in logical terms why it is obviously worthless, and because its such a stupid domain the "appraisers" can't but help to ridicule you

3. You then argue with these people because you didn't hear what you wanted to hear and of course your pride is hurt

So why don't we do this a different way, you say in logical terms why you think your domain has any value..

Toni
18th July 2010, 01:59 PM
lol, my pride can't be hurt by opinions, I might be a newby in your forum and to IDNs but not in domaining, give me a chance to learn :)

#1 is not yet obvious to me since #2 has not yet done, and don't worry about #3 I won't fight back ;)

Looking for more opinions - good or bad

chrisofmel
18th July 2010, 02:50 PM
its a drop, dont see anybody making this typo. now a great one of these,with kind of the same line of thinking would of been in the .co landrush, denver.co it a typo plus co is the abbreviation for the state.

yanni
18th July 2010, 03:01 PM

A couple of ways to figure it out.

1]

Tld-wise, it's worth about the same or a tad higher than hó.name

Add 10 percent because hó is a generic.

Subtract 10 percent because Hungarian IDNs have very low resale value atm.

Add 10 percent for the hack value [short-term, as hacked domains are on the decline and only popular amongst the domain crowd]]

Add another 10 percent for it being a two-worder, thus a rare domain.

Add another 10 percent for it can have multiple meanings. [ besides plain 'hotel', it can also mean a 'hotel for ho's' and it can flurish as a telephone directory for ho's ]

Deduct 5 percent for the potential adult nature of the domain hack [see above].

Conclusion

Given that no-one has bothered to register hó.name as of yet, it pretty much leaves you with nothing or a few pennies [ U.S,] for your investment.

2]

Offer to push it for free to any member's account here.

Wait for a year...

If it gets renewed for another year, it is worth at least reg fee and you just saved yourself another 10.99

If not, you're out on;y 10.99. Consider yourself lucky.

3]

Delete for credit.

If it stays unregistered, you're only out a buck-fifty [ or whatever DD charges for returns nowadays]

If it gets snapped by some enterprising domain dude, offer to sell him tons more of similar or better quality for less than 59 bucks each. [You've just unlocked a brand new business opportunity, albeit short-lived, because even the biggest sucker will eventually figure your business plan out.]

I would go for option 3.

Check your pm for appraisal fee information.

blastfromthepast
19th July 2010, 03:23 AM
Are you interested in advertising on ísland.com?

IDNCowboy
19th July 2010, 03:30 AM
This name is perfect for one of our residents... You can donate it to them:

http://www.dailytech.com/Activists+Want+to+Turn+Ocean+Trash+Patch+Into+Hawaiisized+Green+Nation/article19048.htm
Perhaps they also need a domain administrator for garbage island :P