PDA

View Full Version : JIG Initial Report on Single Character IDN TLDs

20th July 2010, 12:30 PM
.doc attached (Scroll down).
http://forum.icann.org/lists/jig/msg00097.html

Now i will go and buy me some .co because overstock.com bought one and several which are real domainers (.com domains) talk about it and i want to follow the herd and can't form an educated opinion on my own.

blackops
20th July 2010, 03:00 PM
Incidentally, was it overstock who bought o.co?

I only ask as I am aware of their intention to buy o.com (when it comes out) and if they have bought the .co, they must be thinking it will strengthen their case...

Rubber Duck
20th July 2010, 03:06 PM
As these will certainly be auctioned to the highest bidder with no regard to any previous registrations or so called Trademarks, I think you will find they have wasted their money, if they think it will give them any leverage at all. But Overstock should be the experts as they have already wasted a fortune on this.

20th July 2010, 03:10 PM
they must be thinking it will strengthen their case...
They surely think it can't hurt, just like an applicant for .music asked ICANN for special treatment, an applicant for .berlin did pretty much the same, an applicant for .sport asked to disallow i.e .football .baseball etc.

One of the biggest advantages with idn's is that due to the nature of the internet, the only ones that are sleeping well at night when it comes to any prior rights etc are verisign with it's .com .net, afilias with .info etc.
And not because they are verisign, afilias or any other registry, but because anything else will cause confusion and ICANN's core mission is to prevent just that.

"ICANN was formed in 1998. It is a not-for-profit public-benefit corporation with participants from all over the world dedicated to keeping the Internet secure, stable and interoperable. It promotes competition and develops policy on the Internet’s unique identifiers."

Can't wait for the real idn's :rolleyes:

blackops
20th July 2010, 03:30 PM
As these will certainly be auctioned to the highest bidder with no regard to any previous registrations or so called Trademarks

Of course, that's how it should go down. But whether they recruit a lawyer who is able to 'prove' that '.com' is a special case, and that another party operating o.com would be confusing for the general public, remains to be seen...

I haven't checked the USPTO records, but I am assuming they have something for 'o', and it may not be out of the bounds of possibility for them to try to claim tm dilution, if another party buys and starts using o.com.

It'll be interesting to see what happens on this one. On a similar subject, I have ó.com, and the letter 'ó' means 'from' in Gaelic/Irish, and if my history lessons at school were not entirely wasted, then I think this predates any Roman meaning by a considerable margin.

20th July 2010, 03:36 PM
I think this predates any Roman meaning by a considerable margin.
Exactly which is why imo they have no chance getting any type of exclusivity for o.com ascii or for .music for that matter. (Oprah,Oakley,O Las vegas)
Reminds me of this: http://www.thedomains.com/2009/07/26/rod-beckstroms-icann-message-our-take/

Michael Castello: "If ICANN allows every nation, even those that speak English as a second language, to somehow have the IDN Bullion.com owned and made into a different site then we am a going to lose market reach. Bullion.com should resolve to Bullion.com in every language because most would except to find it at that address in any country as they currently are."

Drewbert: "ACtually I think Michael’s idea is great, except for one thing.

He has decided that the English language gets precedence because they were “here first”.

I say the language with the most users gets precedence, because that will cause the least amount of “user confusion”, won’t it?

So the owner of bullion.com in Chinese gets to have the English version. The Rubber Duck will be initiating a transfer request shortly, Michael. Please unlock bullion.com and confirm it when it arrives in your email.

Good night, and thank you for playing."

IDNCowboy
20th July 2010, 03:53 PM
The .co people are suckers.....

The sneaky people got the premium .co's as .com.co some while ago...

Also the premiums that are left are on the .co's premium list.

blackops
20th July 2010, 03:55 PM
So the owner of bullion.com in Chinese gets to have the English version. The Rubber Duck will be initiating a transfer request shortly, Michael. Please unlock bullion.com and confirm it when it arrives in your email.

Good night, and thank you for playing."

I love it!... and agree entirely... In fact, he should really take the initiative and transfer any others (that might also belong to RD) too, so he can benefit from a quick transfer and not lose any further revenue.

MICHAEL!.. "are you there mate?"...

20th July 2010, 04:11 PM
Recording of today's call: http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-jig-20100720.mp3

sbe18
20th July 2010, 07:05 PM
dot co flipping should be interesting.

dot mobi ignorance for lots of newbies or short memories for the ascii old timers.
colombian business interests to protect previous branding ?
confusion with nations that have dot co at the second level ?

a spike in wipo hearings for sure.

s/