PDA

View Full Version : cnnic whois changes soon ?

sbe18
20th July 2010, 08:05 PM
Here is a cnnic whois that I searched:

电子农业.公司
电子农业.公司.cn
電子農業.公司
電子農業.公司.cn

Yet, when I try 电子农业.公司.中国 I get sent to the cnnic error page.

您请求的中文域名 公司.中国 尚未注册或不可达。您可以点击这里了解域名注册信息或点击这里注册此域名。

In August, will cnnic be adding 4 more ?

电子农业.公司.中国
电子农业.公司.中國
電子農業.公司.中国
電子農業.公司.中國

thanks,

s

blackops
21st July 2010, 06:07 AM
Hi,

Good question.

I have been through their recent releases and can find nothing on this as such. I do think that they will include the others 'though, at some point, on the domain records, if only to celebrate or endorse the fact that this is now possible.

sbe18
21st July 2010, 01:41 PM
thanks.

do you agree that

电子农业.公司.中国
电子农业.公司.中國
電子農業.公司.中国
電子農業.公司.中國
电子农业.公司.cn
電子農業.公司.cn

will be the 6 urls' of whois for cnnic in due course starting in April etc..

and

the 2 entries of

电子农业.公司
電子農業.公司

will be removed ?
s/

Avtal
21st July 2010, 02:19 PM
the 2 entries of

电子农业.公司
電子農業.公司

will be removed ?

Is it possible that CNNIC will apply for the .公司 gTLD, so that 电子农业.公司.cn can be promoted to 电子农业.公司 worldwide?

Avtal

IDNCowboy
21st July 2010, 04:05 PM
Is it possible that CNNIC will apply for the .公司 gTLD, so that 电子农业.公司.cn can be promoted to 电子农业.公司 worldwide?

Avtal
no it would conflict with .com

sbe18
21st July 2010, 06:35 PM
Since the great firewall gonsi hack is now irrelevant ..

My concern is not technical.
Or waiting for ICANN.

All of that is finished now, with the 4 cctld idn's in the root now.

My concern is documentation and the accuracy of whois for dot cn / 中国

公司 was only perceived as a gtld inside China only.

It was never a gtld , it was a hacked gtld as we see in the current whois.

it is now a true 2nd level tld , but still has the cnnic whois implying top level.

two listings are accurate.
two are not.

My issue is the timing of cnnic correcting this.

If they remove 2 fine.
If they remove 2 and add 4 fine.

But leaving the false entries as they stand now is misleading from the global root zone tables.

s/

Avtal
22nd July 2010, 05:12 AM
no it would conflict with .com

I guess that's what I'm trying to figure out. Is it possible that both Verisign and CNNIC will apply for the .公司 gTLD? If so, who will get it?

I have a number of [Chinese IDN] .com domains (and no .cn domains), so I am more than a little interested in how this will all play out.

Avtal

Rubber Duck
22nd July 2010, 06:23 AM
I guess that's what I'm trying to figure out. Is it possible that both Verisign and CNNIC will apply for the .公司 gTLD? If so, who will get it?

I have a number of [Chinese IDN] .com domains (and no .cn domains), so I am more than a little interested in how this will all play out.

Avtal

No, you forget the saving face thing. The Chinese know this is not going to happen. They will not wish to publicly embarass themselves.

sbe18
23rd July 2010, 12:27 AM
David,
I agree on the face saving and the politics issue.
Very powerful forces on the face saving with all the news releases.

But my question or concern is two fold really.

Will the whois for these owners ever be changed to the accurate list of names that work ?

Going forward, will the whois for new gonsi.cn registrants be changed to an accurate list , and if so will this be done before the legacy owners whois data is changed to the accurate number of variants/aliases also?

With the hack now irrelevant in actual fact and no longer a theory or 'moonie contention' , is it your thought that cnnic will simply not do anything ?

Or would only make a whois change if ICANN or IANA made an issue of it ?

Doing nothing is certainly easier.
Sure, a script could do it, but the QA would be manual.

I think with so few gonsi domains relative to dot cn / dot zhong guo, simply ignoring it, would be fine for cnnic for another year or longer.

Basically, webmasters will put in a 301 or a URL forwarding to another address. Or simply drop the names in the next 12 months since they would really require rebranding as 3rd levels.

My concern is all the registration companies in China, have not changed their marketing pages.

gongsi/ wangluo check boxes are still there.
But they are not revealed as 3rd level purchases.

I just think that selling gongsi names now, knowing that they only work worldwide as gongsi.cn is a lowly thing.

Chinese native speaker domainer beware is the true take away.

That hasn't changed since 2006 with these things in any event.

Just makes me more certain that the IDN.com's were the safest bet politically and financially from the beginning.

s/