PDA

View Full Version : Breaking news: IDN domain names registrations are open (part II)

jose
14th August 2010, 02:40 AM
With the traditional TLDs — top-level domains such as .com, .net, .org, and to some extent, locals like .ca and .co.uk — it’s getting more difficult to obtain short domain names without some creativity.

I’ve long been waiting for a chance to snag a short domain name — and this is a story of how I was recently able to do so.

In May 2010, ICANN — the organization responsible for managing domain names and IP addresses — brought Internationalized Domain Names (IDN) to life.

This allows participating extensions to use characters and symbols from other alphabets. This is due to Unicode working with Punycode conversion.

What this meant is I was able to score the amazingly short URL ◉.ws, as well as ◉.◉.ws — in context, there are only 6 single letter domain names in existence today.

http://sixrevisions.com/web-standards/i-never-meta-url-like-you-before-a-short-domain-name-trick/

This time its not some obscure site, its an Alexa top 2,539 site (USA) with +2000 visitors daily!!!

alexd
14th August 2010, 06:23 AM
Looks like this guy seems to think that IDNs are all about using Unicode symbols !!! The other funny thing is that this guy claims to "love a good domain" and the example he shows is a .ws !!

DktoInc
14th August 2010, 06:49 AM
This time its not some obscure site, its an Alexa top 2,539 site (USA) with +2000 visitors daily!!![/QUOTE]

Now there is an opportunity to promote Idns.
Everyone should send him a message directly. That posting needs to change.

DktoInc
14th August 2010, 07:45 AM
Posted on the comments,
Awaiting moderation....

Let's see if it'll go through. :help:

blastfromthepast
16th August 2010, 02:32 AM
But "symbols" are the only IDN domains that appeal and are understandable by those who speak English.

jose
16th August 2010, 02:55 AM
But "symbols" are the only IDN domains that appeal and are understandable by those who speak English.

Indeed. Have you read the comments?! Seems like the comments that mde sense about IDNs got ignored by the readers of the blog and got a "read the article" by the author! :lol:

blastfromthepast
17th August 2010, 08:20 AM
http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=17673&PN=6

blastfromthepast
17th August 2010, 10:02 AM

blastfromthepast
18th August 2010, 11:01 AM
Unicode Graphic Domains

Domains using the full character spectrum aren’t really supported well in browsers, partly due to security issues... so entering something like bücherei.com (the German word for library) will resolve into what is called a punycode address, namely xn--bcherei-n2a.com. This kinda ruins it for serious uses, but still, there’s domains out there using more than just ASCII letters... and some even use the graphical symbols part of Unicode:
This one showing the female symbol is still under construction: www.♀.com
The self-proclaimed “manliest domain on the internet” is for sale: www.♂.com
A page load error for heart-dot-com: www.♥.com
The eternal forces of yin-yang are for sale: www.☯.com
The right-facing swastika returns a page educating on the traditionally Hindu/ Buddhist/ good luck symbol: www.卐.com
The copyright character resolves to a parked page titled “protectyourbrand.com”: www.©.com
A smiley leads to the personal homepage of Daniel Früh from Switzerland: www.☺.com
The sun can’t be found: www.☼.com
A musical note leads to the personal homepage of... Daniel Früh again: www.♫.com
The omega character is the self-proclaimed Future Home of The Omega Project: www.Ω.com

http://blogoscoped.com/archive/2008-07-24-n24.html

alexd
18th August 2010, 11:33 AM
I don't think you can really class www.Ω.com as being a unicode "graphic domain" as it is the last letter of the Greek alphabet.

bumblebee man
18th August 2010, 03:19 PM
I don't think you can really class www.Ω.com as being a unicode "graphic domain" as it is the last letter of the Greek alphabet.

Please don't confuse people with this kind of information. We all know you Greeks stole it from a Swiss watch manufacturer. :rolleyes: