PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft's new mobile phone operating system

bwhhisc
11th October 2010, 01:09 AM
NEW YORK (AFP) – Microsoft unveils a new mobile phone operating system on Monday in what is being seen as a potentially make-or-break effort by the US software giant to remain a player in the hotly competitive niche.

Microsoft chief executive Steve Ballmer is to take the wraps off a new line of smartphones powered by Windows Phone 7 (WP7) at an event in New York and the devices are expected to hit stores around the world in the next few weeks.

more on link....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20101010/bs_afp/usitcompanytelecominternetmicrosoft

Rubber Duck
11th October 2010, 04:44 AM
Well, if Motorola won't give them a break, then who will?

rhys
11th October 2010, 06:46 AM
samsung, htc at the very least

sbe18
11th October 2010, 08:11 AM
as usual the US media throws up on its shoes relative to mobile...

asshats....

rim/apple/android is not the race....

Leaving out Nokia Symbian, which is 30% mkt share China...70% mkt share India is ridiculous.

Symbian/rim/android is the global race right now.
Apple is 2% global market share, and its market share for global smartphones has peaked and declined.

Jobs worship is so pathetic...(yes...I love my Mac/iTouch combo....but jeez...)

Yes sales are up way up, but market share is declining.

Samsung is looking to launch Bada....and they want $75 smartphones here...

HP is going to spend $10 + billion to get Palm back in the race...
again....sub $100 phones worldwide..

Java is still the core of IBM delivery world wide .

And Nokia is dual tracking with Meego. ....

Welcome to 1983/ 1984 when there were 5 flavors of DOS and MS-DOS etc....

the Mobile OS bloodbath is only in the beginnings of Act II, of this

tragedy or comedy.....

the 8th/ 9th mobile OS should be code named Yorick....(grin)....

now where did I leave that Motorola brickphone ??????

MS is going to try to squeeze what......$7 ....$15 per handset...?

If MS does not have a 2x to 3x of its market share in 24 months...
Ballmer will be forced to resign.

4 mobile / desktop OS/ cloud ... failures

s/

jacksonm
11th October 2010, 10:07 AM
And Nokia is dual tracking with Meego. ....

No, they're not. They know damned well that Symbian is dead and they are desperately trying to avoid licensing Android from Google.

And my HTC Legend fucking rocks. I've had it for 5 months now and even the iPhone pales in comparison.

Wot
11th October 2010, 11:30 AM
I can call people and they can call me on my cheap and nasty mobile.

Job done!

domainguru
11th October 2010, 12:49 PM
I can call people and they can call me on my cheap and nasty mobile.

Job done!

Well you beat me into a hat. I bought an iMobile 3G phone (10K baht) and it won't even let you make international calls - blocked apparently by our friends at TOT.....

jose
11th October 2010, 03:02 PM
Samsung Galaxy S rocks. Best mobile phone ever.

But I have to be honest, once I saw the iPhone 4 screen, I couldn't choose anything else.

There is simple no words to describe it.

sbe18
11th October 2010, 03:08 PM
re: Symbian...

yes....languishing for developers...
certainly not attracting loads of new ones...

below.....paste from a good friend of mine...
Tomi Ahonen...

http:/goo.gl/Y7np

----

And third, remember Symbian is more than Nokia. Symbian is the bestselling phone operating system in Japan, where the world's most advanced phones are made. The typical Japanese 'featurephone' runs on Symbian but is not considered a 'real' smartphone because it does not allow end-users to install apps (the phone OS is closed to the user). Yet this means significant Symbian sales out of Japan come what may. And NTT DoCoMo the biggest operator in Japan just announced a partnership with half a dozen Japanese mobile industry giants to create an app store, and a smartphone OS evolution path, to Symbian (and to Linux Mobile the other major smartphone OS platform used in Japan). So yes, there is the occasional Samsung Symbian phone and the Japanese and every so often even a SonyEricsson etc. So Symbian is not just Nokia, Symbian's market share is about 45% of the new phone sales globally, and the installed base of all smartphones in the world is nearly 60% Symbian. Now that Symbian is an open source foundation, it is also finding new support, even as the OS obviously shows its age in many ways.

mdw
11th October 2010, 06:52 PM
symbian has been a dead end for a decade now, android is clearly the horse to beat

Apple's ios is shiny and looks like it'll scale to other devices nicely but ultimately closed, and destined to lose to android. I don't give the reborn palm "webOS" any chance, and there simply are no other credible contenders.

bwhhisc
11th October 2010, 11:01 PM
symbian has been a dead end for a decade now, android is clearly the horse to beat.

Android is definately the flavor of the month right now, beating out all other phones in sales see graphs on link below.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/10/05/nielsen-android-most-popular_n_751155.html.