PDA

View Full Version : Do you like Pinyin Domain name?

IDNer
11th October 2010, 02:43 PM
I mean - Pinyin or Chinese IDNs, which one you prefer?

some Chinese domainer don't like the Chinese IDNs, I do believe that they are worry that Chinese IDNs will instead of the Pinyin in near future...

Probably I should not ask this question here, as here is IDN forum :p

bumblebee man
11th October 2010, 02:52 PM
1) No.

2) IDN.

Wot
11th October 2010, 11:02 PM
As pinyin has dominated for the past years it is no surprise that Chinese prefer it to IDN.

But it's early days and IDN just need more exposure. I have many Chinese friends who do not know they can use their own language in a browser.

blastfromthepast
11th October 2010, 11:04 PM
Do you see newspapers published in PinYin? No. That should answer the question.

sbe18
11th October 2010, 11:11 PM
ASCII / Pinyin/ Numerical domainers in China are threatened ?

OH WELL>

the issue of IDN's being used in China is based on awareness.

CNNIC is not owned by Rupert Murdoch last I checked.....(grin)

Ryu
12th October 2010, 12:42 AM
Do Chinese people spend a lot of money to acquire Pinyin names?

Also, if you compare pinyin.cn and english.cn, which is more in demand?

touchring
12th October 2010, 04:28 AM
I mean - Pinyin or Chinese IDNs, which one you prefer?

some Chinese domainer don't like the Chinese IDNs, I do believe that they are worry that Chinese IDNs will instead of the Pinyin in near future...

Probably I should not ask this question here, as here is IDN forum :p

It seems that the Japanese prefer Chinese idn than the Chinese themselves. Which is not strange since Japanese don't use pinyin.

My opinion is that pinyin will not replace idn, not at least in the next 10 years.

IDNer
12th October 2010, 04:51 AM
It seems that the Japanese prefer Chinese idn than the Chinese themselves. Which is not strange since Japanese don't use pinyin.

My opinion is that pinyin will not replace idn, not at least in the next 10 years.

Do you mean that Chinese IDNs will not replace the pinyin or...

touchring
17th October 2010, 07:41 AM
Do you mean that Chinese IDNs will not replace the pinyin or...

No, i don't mean that.

It is possible. Especially if there is animosity between China and US allies. I know this is sensitive topic but I feel that in next 15-20 years, there is a very high chance of war between China and US allies. US allies including Taiwan, South Korea, Japan and South East Asia. China side maybe joined by Russia.

In such a scenario, .com will be replaced by .cn, and since there's not enough ASCII.cn, they will use IDN.cn.

But ironically, we won't profit from it because the .cn will be banned for foreign ownership.

IDNer
17th October 2010, 07:51 AM
...we won't profit from it because the .cn will be banned for foreign ownership.

I believe that it is easy to get a Taiwan and/or Hong Kong contact address for a domainer who invest the .CN but not living in mainland, if necessary...

markits
17th October 2010, 04:44 PM
.com is the established symbol for internet in China, and now it seems that IDN will be the next trend. Please read the press release at http://www.idnforums.com/forums/27379-idn-will-be-mainstream-in-china.html

todaynow
30th November 2010, 07:27 AM
i like pinyin better, easy to remember and pronounce by people who even don't know Chinese,right?

alexd
30th November 2010, 08:01 AM
i like pinyin better, easy to remember and pronounce by people who even don't know Chinese,right?

You know that this is IDNforums don't you ??

todaynow
30th November 2010, 08:10 AM
You know that this is IDNforums don't you ??

yes~why? i just express my opinion~

??

bumblebee man
30th November 2010, 08:48 AM

Might be the other way round for the Chinese, right? :eek:

blastfromthepast
30th November 2010, 11:00 AM

Not true. Chinese has a very limited set of sounds, and when written in Pinyin that is all you get: the pronunciation.

For people used to Indoeuropean languages, Chinese words pretty much "sound the same" because the sounds are too short, and there are too few of them.

I can read hundreds of characters, but I can't remember how they are pronounced in Chinese at all. So, write in Pinyin, and I don't have a clue, and can't use any online tools to help me either. Write in real characters, and I might even be able to read it.

Same problem with Korean: since a sentence consists mostly of Chinese characters phonetically written with a limited number of sounds represented by Korean characters, it is really hard to learn.

bumblebee man
30th November 2010, 12:09 PM
Not true. Chinese has a very limited set of sounds, and when written in Pinyin that is all you get: the pronunciation.

And that doesn't make it very explicit:

li -> 里 / 力 / 离 / 利 / 李 / 例 / 立 / 理 / 丽 / 礼 / 莉 / 黎 / 梨 / 历 / 哩 / 锂 / 厘 / 栗 / 沥 / 吏 / 俐 / 励 / 鲤 / 傈 / 犁 / 俪 / 喱 / 荔 / 骊 / 厉 / 栎 / 狸 / 笠 / 澧 / 璃 / 痢 / 篱 / 隶 / 戾 / 蠡 / 娌 / 郦 / 欐 / 砺 / 莅 / 漓 / 藜 / 悧 / 醴 / 砾 / 罹 / 嚟 / 俚 / 暦 / 蛎 / 棃 / 蓠 / 唳 / 溧 / 呖 / 劙 / 詈 / 栵 / 鹂 / 枥 / 鬲 / 猁 / 悝 / 缡 / 涖 / 雳 / 鳢 / 厤 / 坜 / 苈 / 沴 / 嫠 / 逦 / 浬 / 疠 / 黧 / 跞 / 蜊 / 灕 / 鲡 / 唎 / 瓅 / 篥 / 皪 / 轹 / 屴 / 浰 / 樆 / 犛 / 歴 / 醨 / 戻 / 犂 / 褵 / 剺 / 梩 / 苙 / 蔾 / 栃 / 隷 / 砅 / 漦 / 盭 / 鬁 / 鴗 / 兣 / 瓼 / 粝 / 疬

touchring
1st December 2010, 07:21 AM

For people used to Indoeuropean languages, Chinese words pretty much "sound the same" because the sounds are too short, and there are too few of them.

I can read hundreds of characters, but I can't remember how they are pronounced in Chinese at all. So, write in Pinyin, and I don't have a clue, and can't use any online tools to help me either. Write in real characters, and I might even be able to read it.

Same problem with Korean: since a sentence consists mostly of Chinese characters phonetically written with a limited number of sounds represented by Korean characters, it is really hard to learn.

Do you mean mandarin? Cantonese seems to be easier to learn for Indoeuropean speakers. The same with Korean which sounds like a cross between Taiwanese and Cantonese.

blastfromthepast
2nd December 2010, 07:17 AM
I haven't tried learning Cantonese, but it does sound clearer.

Korean: due to a lack of tones (!) each word has too many writings confusing things when reading it. They should have stuck with the same system Japanese did, and kept the characters, using phonetic writing for grammar; or gone in for some real reform, gotten rid of all the Chinese loan-words and invented new long ones. Looking at academic books they are full of (characters in parentheses) following Korean words just to get the point across. As it stands, getting rid of the characters for Korean is a good case in point of why doing this is a bad idea.

todaynow
2nd December 2010, 07:21 AM
And that doesn't make it very explicit:

li -> 里 / 力 / 离 / 利 / 李 / 例 / 立 / 理 / 丽 / 礼 / 莉 / 黎 / 梨 / 历 / 哩 / 锂 / 厘 / 栗 / 沥 / 吏 / 俐 / 励 / 鲤 / 傈 / 犁 / 俪 / 喱 / 荔 / 骊 / 厉 / 栎 / 狸 / 笠 / 澧 / 璃 / 痢 / 篱 / 隶 / 戾 / 蠡 / 娌 / 郦 / 欐 / 砺 / 莅 / 漓 / 藜 / 悧 / 醴 / 砾 / 罹 / 嚟 / 俚 / 暦 / 蛎 / 棃 / 蓠 / 唳 / 溧 / 呖 / 劙 / 詈 / 栵 / 鹂 / 枥 / 鬲 / 猁 / 悝 / 缡 / 涖 / 雳 / 鳢 / 厤 / 坜 / 苈 / 沴 / 嫠 / 逦 / 浬 / 疠 / 黧 / 跞 / 蜊 / 灕 / 鲡 / 唎 / 瓅 / 篥 / 皪 / 轹 / 屴 / 浰 / 樆 / 犛 / 歴 / 醨 / 戻 / 犂 / 褵 / 剺 / 梩 / 苙 / 蔾 / 栃 / 隷 / 砅 / 漦 / 盭 / 鬁 / 鴗 / 兣 / 瓼 / 粝 / 疬

these Chinese characters are too difficult~even for some Chinese!:o

todaynow
2nd December 2010, 07:23 AM
I haven't tried learning Cantonese, but it does sound clearer.

Korean: due to a lack of tones (!) each word has too many writings confusing things when reading it. They should have stuck with the same system Japanese did, and kept the characters using phonetic writing for grammar; or gone in for some real reform, gotten rid of all the Chinese loan-words and invented new long ones.

yes!totally agree with you ~:yes:

i can teach you some Cantonese maybe?haha~

bumblebee man
2nd December 2010, 08:37 AM
these Chinese characters are too difficult~even for some Chinese!:o

I know many characters are not actually used but that's not the point. The point is: many Chinese characters are represented by just one pinyin syllable. Doesn't look like a very accurate transcription to me.

And once again I would like to get back to what blasfromthepast asked: Why isn't there any newspaper written in pinyin? Could it be that the Chinese are actually more comfortable with their script than any other script? What about the foreigners? Are they actually relevant to Chinese newspaper publishers? Would they read Chinese newspapers if they were written in pinyin? Or would they go for "China daily" which is written in English?

todaynow
3rd December 2010, 06:59 AM
i think, when a foreigner who can only speak Chinese but can not recognize Chinese characters, then he can read the pinyin news paper~but of couse, maybe just understand a few meanings of it...

blastfromthepast
3rd December 2010, 09:31 AM
i think, when a foreigner who can only speak Chinese but can not recognize Chinese characters, then he can read the pinyin news paper~but of couse, maybe just understand a few meanings of it...

There are more people who can read Chinese, than those who can speak.

The key question is, do any Pinyin newspapers exist? :eek:

Avtal
3rd December 2010, 04:23 PM

I would have thought it was the other way around. There are still illiterate people in China, despite the best efforts of the Chinese education system. And the adult children of Chinese living abroad are often able to speak Mandarin with their parents, without ever having learned the writing system.

These numbers probably overwhelm the small number of non-Chinese who have learned written Chinese without learning to speak it.

Avtal

blastfromthepast
3rd December 2010, 08:37 PM
illiterate people can not operate computers.

However, there are many Japanese and Koreans who can read Chinese characters.

Avtal
4th December 2010, 01:45 AM
illiterate people can not operate computers.

However, there are many Japanese and Koreans who can read Chinese characters.

blast,

Good point! You're right. I hadn't taken the Japanese and Koreans into account.

Avtal

todaynow
6th December 2010, 08:48 AM

The key question is, do any Pinyin newspapers exist? :eek:

yes,there is no Pinyin newspapers, :)

as to Chinese, speaking is easier than reading...as for me.

todaynow
6th December 2010, 08:49 AM
I would have thought it was the other way around. There are still illiterate people in China, despite the best efforts of the Chinese education system. And the adult children of Chinese living abroad are often able to speak Mandarin with their parents, without ever having learned the writing system.

These numbers probably overwhelm the small number of non-Chinese who have learned written Chinese without learning to speak it.

Avtal

I agreed~
I knew many American born Chinese can't read Chinese characters!