PDA

View Full Version : DENIC allows letter "ß"

bumblebee man
27th October 2010, 07:55 AM
The German letter "ß" will be allowed for .de domains. Owners of .de domains containing the letters "ss" (not what you think :p - this is the ASCII replacement of ß) will have grandfathering rights. So the chances of getting Fußball.de are pretty slim unfortunately.

DENIC (http://www.denic.de/denic-im-dialog/news/2985.html?cHash=e3f7bb849b)

ß (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%9F)

As far as I remember it was disallowed because there was no uppercase version of it. So it was invented:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e4/Capital_%C3%9F.svg/42px-Capital_%C3%9F.svg.png

domainguru
27th October 2010, 06:07 PM
This was the single most discussed item on the IETF IDNA mailing list. They could never agree the "best" way to go. Must have swapped a thousand or more messages on that list just on the subject of "ß" and how to deal with it. And bugger me, it is complicated, not just with legacy issues, TM issues, there are issues with what "ß" means in different countries, how it came about in those countries, current usage in different countries etc.

jose
28th October 2010, 12:29 AM
If we register good names with "ss" instead of "ß" we'll get the "ß" name on sunrise.

Will there be a goldrush?

bumblebee man
28th October 2010, 11:28 AM
If we register good names with "ss" instead of "ß" we'll get the "ß" name on sunrise.

Yes, but note that:

- ALL good German.de names are taken.
- There are many words which are correct with "ss" but incorrect with "ß". Especially after the last spelling reform where the ß was replaced by ss for many words.

When the sunrise ends at 16th November you can register any name with ß. But as I said before: don't expect to get Fußball.de.

jose
28th October 2010, 09:19 PM
:) So want to go after the domains alone? I am getting a script ready!

blastfromthepast
28th October 2010, 09:20 PM
:) So want to go after the domains alone? I am getting a script ready!

You have no chance against German domainers.

jose
28th October 2010, 10:42 PM

I was joking. :D

bumblebee man
29th October 2010, 09:52 AM

.de is hopeless for all of us. :(

domainguru
29th October 2010, 10:13 AM
.de is hopeless for all of us. :(

Especially as you mentioned in the very first post about the grandfathering rights .....

o.c.
2nd November 2010, 01:00 AM

Jose, I interpret the following from DENIC as "even if you register "ss" version right now before sunrise you still won't have the rights". It sounds like you had to have the "ss" version before the anouncement anyway:

"Holders, in whose name a domain containing the character set "ss" is registered at the decisive point in time, 26 October 2010, 15:00 CEST, will have the opportunity to register the corresponding ß-domain already during a so-called sunrise period starting on 26 October 2010".