PDA

View Full Version : ICANN adopted board resolution: gTLD timetable

Avtal
30th October 2010, 05:57 AM
From the resolutions (http://icann.org/en/minutes/resolutions-28oct10-en.htm) of the Oct 28 ICANN board meeting:

8 New gTLD Program

a. Update on Timeline

RESOLVED (2010.10.28.17), the Board directs staff to adopt as a working plan the Launch Scenario with launch date of Q2 2011, as contained in the graphic attached here (http://icann.org/en/topics/new-gtlds/new-gtld-work-plan-28oct10-en.pdf) [PDF, 112 KB].

b. Vertical Integration – No resolution

c. GNSO New gTLD Recommendation 6 Objection Process – No resolution

d. GAC Issues Letter including Geographic Names – No resolution

e. Affirmation of Commitment Considerations – No resolution

The pdf file (http://icann.org/en/topics/new-gtlds/new-gtld-work-plan-28oct10-en.pdf) gives this timeline:
Board approval on Dec 10 2010,
"Post final AGB & Communication Campaign launch" on Jan 10 2011,
A four-month Communication Campaign, and
Launch [First applications received] on May 30, 2011.

Avtal

Rubber Duck
30th October 2010, 11:18 AM
What is the 4 Month delay for? Most people have been waiting years, this is just another wait. The only thing people are going to learn from the communications campaign is be even more bloody patient.

andy song
3rd November 2010, 06:47 PM
Possible timetable
Dec 10 2010- Board approval
May 30 2011- Launch(first application)
June 2011- Verisign applies for idn.com/idn
Dec 2011- idn.com approved.
Feb 2012- Delegation
May,June 2012- Resistration for idn.idn

Am I right or any comments?

Avtal
4th November 2010, 06:32 AM
Possible timetable
Feb 2012- Delegation

That seems to be what Verisign expects. See this post: verisign-3rd-quarter-earnings-call-timing-of-idns.html (http://www.idnforums.com/forums/27492-verisign-3rd-quarter-earnings-call-timing-of-idns.html)

If I understand correctly, it will cost Verisign about $183,000 per script when they apply for .com-in-idn and .net-in-idn. So the next question is: which scripts/alphabets will they apply for in the first round?

Avtal

andy song
4th November 2010, 06:56 AM
If they don't apply that, they can't sell it.

Rubber Duck
4th November 2010, 08:04 AM
Possible timetable
Feb 2012- Delegation

Probably, but like most of the other muppets out there, you are probably expecting to register something of value in May 2012.

The truth is you will get zilch because the IDN.com's are going to carry the right on any future issues, so what you need to register needs to be registered now, and even then you are late to the party.

Rubber Duck
4th November 2010, 08:07 AM
That seems to be what Verisign expects. See this post: verisign-3rd-quarter-earnings-call-timing-of-idns.html (http://www.idnforums.com/forums/27492-verisign-3rd-quarter-earnings-call-timing-of-idns.html)

If I understand correctly, it will cost Verisign about $183,000 per script when they apply for .com-in-idn and .net-in-idn. So the next question is: which scripts/alphabets will they apply for in the first round?

Avtal

Anyone that seriously believes that $183,000 is going to be a serious impediment to Verisign in all but minority scripts needs their head examining.

Avtal
4th November 2010, 02:01 PM
Anyone that seriously believes that $183,000 is going to be a serious impediment to Verisign in all but minority scripts needs their head examining.

Right, but as the owner of a few nice Georgian and Armenian dot coms, I'm particularly interested in the fate of minor scripts.

I assume that Verisign won't hesitate to apply for .com in Cyrillic and Chinese. But where will they draw the line?

Avtal

domainguru
4th November 2010, 04:11 PM
Right, but as the owner of a few nice Georgian and Armenian dot coms, I'm particularly interested in the fate of minor scripts.

I assume that Verisign won't hesitate to apply for .com in Cyrillic and Chinese. But where will they draw the line?

Avtal

Probably at what they will envisage will make a profit ......

If a script only 10K to 20K regges or less currently, could well be borderline, at least in the short-term But it all depends on:

a) How much VeriSign charge for each extension (I am presuming full reg price), and
b) How much they think sales will accelerate once IDN.IDN happens.

Hopefully the wisdom inside VeriSign says current reg numbers are minimal compared with the potential for more regges once the fanfare of IDN.IDN happens.

They certainly aren't going to launch with 30 or more extensions to start .... would make it look like the cat got the cream ;-)

Rubber Duck
4th November 2010, 05:41 PM
It is a question of securing various script combinations. Not applying shows disinterest which is never good when protecting IP rights.

They will argue that haven't a chance of making a return on many of the extension they are registering but simply doing it for the greater good. If they get in early they will save millions on lawyer fees.

Probably at what they will envisage will make a profit ......

If a script only 10K to 20K regges or less currently, could well be borderline, at least in the short-term But it all depends on:

a) How much VeriSign charge for each extension (I am presuming full reg price), and
b) How much they think sales will accelerate once IDN.IDN happens.

Hopefully the wisdom inside VeriSign says current reg numbers are minimal compared with the potential for more regges once the fanfare of IDN.IDN happens.

They certainly aren't going to launch with 30 or more extensions to start .... would make it look like the cat got the cream ;-)

blastfromthepast
4th November 2010, 05:54 PM
Someone posted earlier that there is a subsidy VeriSign gets for enabling minor scripts.

abe
5th November 2010, 06:23 AM
@RD -[Not applying shows disinterest which is never good when protecting IP rights.]

They have no IP rights. They are a supplier, a vendor who is a monopoly hence the risk is still there. For all you know Afilias can get the .com too which we hope they don't.

squirrel
5th November 2010, 07:35 AM
Someone posted earlier that there is a subsidy VeriSign gets for enabling minor scripts.

I don't think VeriSign qualifies

Drewbert
5th November 2010, 09:19 AM
I can see certain governments only be too happy to either write a cheque to get their script version of .com out there, or maybe convince the GAC to lean on ICANN for discounts.

It's a pretty hefty fucking fee for doing sweet bugger-all.

http://lauren.vortex.com/archive/000776.html

Rubber Duck
6th November 2010, 10:16 AM
@RD -[Not applying shows disinterest which is never good when protecting IP rights.]

They have no IP rights. They are a supplier, a vendor who is a monopoly hence the risk is still there. For all you know Afilias can get the .com too which we hope they don't.

Honestly, you could just not make up the drivel some people come out with.