PDA

View Full Version : Are a few beginning to get it? or not?

phio
12th November 2010, 04:01 PM
"The onset of a vast new IDN market developing visitor traffic away from native SEO candidate clicks has many progressively conservative domainers worried. Can they keep a converging slice of eyeball attention from traveling around the world to other sites? Has the competition just gotten more intense? Maybe domainers will have to bring their A-game to the IDN era of domains."

source: http://favoritedomains.com/news/domain-markets-repositioning/358/

sarcle
12th November 2010, 05:30 PM
Are a few beginning to get it? or not?

Apparently a large majority of Russian domainers still haven't yet. Even with the overwhelming success of .rf; and it's only been a little over a day.

But then, never underestimate the power of denial. Especially when one's own money has just gone up in flames.

alpha
12th November 2010, 07:13 PM
take this guy:

"'I'm not that big on the other TLDs other than the dot com." For example, Niuyue.com in Chinese. There's relatively few people that use the actual characters, everybody's using the English language referral. I feel that the position we're in is the proper one with the English language."

link (http://fragerfactor.blogspot.com/2010/11/muhammad-alis-domain-heavyweight.html)

ignorance

or

propaganda?

you decide.

sarcle
12th November 2010, 07:17 PM
take this guy:

link (http://fragerfactor.blogspot.com/2010/11/muhammad-alis-domain-heavyweight.html)

ignorance

or

propaganda?

you decide.

Neither. This is just plain stupidity.

alpha
12th November 2010, 07:19 PM
Neither. This is just plain stupidity.

not propaganda?

it's a long read, but note he mentions he speaks fluent Chinese just after saying what he did about pinyin.

sarcle
12th November 2010, 07:25 PM
not propaganda?

it's a long read, but note he mentions he speaks fluent Chinese just after saying what he did about pinyin.

Okay, I read the whole thing this time. I stopped after reading the first paragraph and the loud video autoplaying when I opened the page the first time.

It's using other's ignorance, and stupidity to promote his propaganda.

alpha
12th November 2010, 07:34 PM
It's using other's ignorance, and stupidity to promote his propaganda.

and who could blame him. His Newyork .com is under threat from .nyc and .newyork

and his pinyin Chinese for NewYork is under threat from the IDN (owned by TDC I believe)

but this guy is a superstar in the domain world, and people listen to what he says

so in answer to the original question Phio, personally I think there are many who don't get it, and many who are made to see something else.. but the good news is it doesn't matter

squirrel
12th November 2010, 08:10 PM
The question was about buying domains (which he surely knows, are all taken), his answer was "no". He's either a fool or a very smart man.

phio
13th November 2010, 04:28 AM
I'm still not sure what to make of his comments, and maybe it doesn't matter, but as we all know visibility and promotion are huge in the domaining world.

We have gotten a couple of shots of visibility and promotion during the past few weeks -- with the IDNevent, and now with cyrillic domains.

One question that is more and more on my mind is, which language will follow Russian?