PDA

View Full Version : Стивен

horatiob
23rd November 2010, 01:03 PM
Hi,

Please appraise in dollars a Persons Name domain in full Russian Extension:

стивен.рф (means Stephen.com in Russian)

Googled: 7,480,000 times each month.

Thanks for dollar appraisal.

RusDom
23rd November 2010, 01:10 PM
While I can have ban after appraisal of any domain on this forum :) I wanna ask you what did you think when register it?
There's no such russian name here.
And I see no commercial value - maybe for fansite of Stephen King.

horatiob
23rd November 2010, 01:22 PM
While I can have ban after appraisal of any domain on this forum :) I wanna ask you what did you think when register it?
There's no such russian name here.
And I see no commercial value - maybe for fansite of Stephen King.

Thanks.

Can't comprehend the first part?

This is a People Domain Name, (e.g paul.com, john.com, tom.com, etc), someone might buy it like the Stephen.com English one. Plus gets googled alot.

bumblebee man
23rd November 2010, 01:29 PM
Why do you ask for advice if you ignore it anyway?

Maybe start one of your famous sale / lease threads and offer it for $50,000,000.

horatiob
23rd November 2010, 01:50 PM
Why do you ask for advice if you ignore it anyway?

Maybe start one of your famous sale / lease threads and offer it for $50,000,000.

Just for future reference, I studied Hyper Text Mark Up Language Programming as a hobby and secondary career. Then I discovered domain names - way before most people heard of the Internet in the world - when it was still in its infancy, and years before the 1999 .Com Gold Rush. With the acception of a handful of people in the spotlight, including Dr Ham in 1996. So I believe Im more than 'qualified' to express my opinion on the matter!

("Aaah... And some wished they'd been there in the 1999 Gold Rush... I wonder what was available to register in [1997!!!???]

I guess you just had to be there, whether you invested or not - at least for the thrill of being first at the Revolution. The word 'Vertern' springs to mind.

Genius - being ahead of time!

bumblebee man
23rd November 2010, 02:05 PM
Just for future reference, I studied Hyper Text Mark Up Language Programming as a hobby and secondary career. Then I discovered domain names - way before most people heard of the Internet in the world - when it was still in its infancy, and years before the 1999 .Com Gold Rush. With the acception of a handful of people in the spotlight, including Dr Ham in 1996. So I believe Im more than 'qualified' to express my opinion on the matter!

My point exactly. You're obviously over qualified for this. You must have made millions during the ascii goldrush. How come you're asking for advice? How come you need to offer shit names with misleading stats?

DktoInc
23rd November 2010, 02:25 PM
My point exactly. You're obviously over qualified for this. You must have made millions during the ascii goldrush. How come you're asking for advice? How come you need to offer shit names with misleading stats?

Стивен = славик or слава in Russian

horatiob
23rd November 2010, 03:53 PM

Point! My principles are that I only respond to amiable people, but I'll neglect that fact. To be brief, I was in my teen years when I discovered domain names and their potential, I assessed that I could have made £60 million profit buying .com's like clothes.com, etc, and selling them a few years later when the Internet took off, and made an additional £30 million advertising income each year when Google started. However I was studying, and also paying out a mortgage like payment for £500 per month (approx $900) for a year. I couldn't get a weekend job because it would have clashed with my studies and also religious commitments. My parents had supported myself and brother all our lives with no expsense spaired on education and a quality life (some might call privileged) and because Im a conscientious person I didn't ask my parents for any money, because I knew it would take about 2 years before domains took off (1999) and I wouldn't want them to have to wait for 2 years to pay them back (unreasonable), and so I missed out.

To be honest - it could have been me you could have been reading about - like the Domainers in the Spotlight - Well, before 99% of them!

Good News! I got back in in 2005 and Im happy with my portfoilio!

alpha
23rd November 2010, 07:55 PM
..I assessed that I could have made £60 million profit buying .com's like clothes.com, etc, and selling them a few years later when the Internet took off, and made an additional £30 million advertising income each year when Google started...

so let me get this straight. you figured all this out in the 1990's including the ROI of 60m and 30m, and you still didn't find the hundred bucks to buy just 1.

'cmon. perlease.

whatever wrath gets unleashed on you from our members IMO you fully deserve either because:

a) your story is BS, and you're full of shit
b) your story is not BS, and you're an idiot

horatiob
23rd November 2010, 09:04 PM
so let me get this straight. you figured all this out in the 1990's including the ROI of 60m and 30m, and you still didn't find the hundred bucks to buy just 1.

'cmon. perlease.

whatever wrath gets unleashed on you from our members IMO you fully deserve either because:

a) your story is BS, and you're full of shit
b) your story is not BS, and you're an idiot

b. An idiot is the reserved reply for you. I spent a week contemplating what to do. Perhaps a little more information than I should give... but all I needed was a credit card (Visa) and some cash, but I could get a job on the weekend - church Saturday - an employer is not going to let you miss Saturday, and work Friday and Sunday. Plus it wouldn't have looked to good for me to be going to work on a Saturday when all my neighbours knew my family - me going to work in jeans and my family going to church dressed up -I didn't want to be labelled a black sheep of the family. I walked away, and forgot about it!

Only came back in 2005 by COMPLETE ACCIDENT, when I was looking for ways to make money and only saw the words "Domain Names" - I knew instantly what they were - you can buy and sell domains, then started looking at them again. Then I read about the 1999 .Com Gold Rush, I left domains in 1997, and found sites like Afternic. Never knew a domain forum existed until about 2008. Anyway ALL OF THE NAMES WERE TAKEN - as you well know. So I mainly focussed on creating brand names and long names and selling them on Afternic, like "FrancePostalService.com," for a profit on the reg fee. It was only until late 2008 that I discovered IDNs. I thought I struck Gold (opportunity) again. However all IDNs taken - as you know, accept Hindi, so I stuck with Hindi.

Reflecting... I maybe did the right thing - after all, having neighbours possibly regarding you as an out-to-get-more person abandoning your grown up morals when you obviously live in an exclusive area and having millions in the bank as a late teenager wouldn't be much fun. IMO. Isn't wealth about having it all?

blastfromthepast
23rd November 2010, 09:55 PM
Horatiob, are you married?

bwhhisc
23rd November 2010, 10:12 PM
bThen I read about the 1999 .Com Gold Rush, I left domains in 1997, and found sites like Afternic. Never knew a domain forum existed until about 2008. Anyway ALL OF THE NAMES WERE TAKEN - as you well know. So I mainly focussed on creating brand names and long names and selling them on Afternic, like "FrancePostalService.com," for a profit on the reg fee. It was only until late 2008 that I discovered IDNs. I thought I struck Gold (opportunity) again. However all IDNs taken - as you know, accept Hindi, so I stuck with Hindi.

All the good IDNs are not close to being taken....if you know where to look and how to find them. I pm'd you that information on where to get excel dictionaries, available 'to reg' lists and idn drop lists. But you politely passed...

sarcle
23rd November 2010, 11:34 PM
Isn't wealth about having it all?

If it involves copious amounts of jiggly boobies; then yes.

horatiob
24th November 2010, 12:03 AM
Horatiob, are you married?

Be clear, with domains, I was not taught to follow domains as an asset to buy and sell, only to register a good name that reflected you business.

e.g. if you had a Furniture Business in London. Register a name like:

Londonfurniture.com
and not
Bobsfurniture.com.

Because no one knows who you are Bob, you might be known in your circle of friends but outside no one knows you. So you will lost business. Where as LondonFurniture.com tells people you are in the business of Furniture in London, so its better.

If I had known that if you registered a good name like Londonfurniture.com you could sell it for massive profits to business who would be looking for site name in the future - Well I would have been better prepared to invest in domains.

You see, what I was taught to become a 'Digital Trader' and sell a Newsletter. A Digital Trader is similar to a mail order business, instead of selling real products, you sell physical less products like online books, newsletter subscriptions, a quiz game with a subscription, etc. That's what a Digital Trader is.

So I you could start a newsletter on any subject, something you now about, and therefore it would be easy to start, like Drawing, Karate, Property, etc.

In the early days everyone was trying to start a newsletter, it was mostly the Universities that were doing it. I don't know if you have heard of a Newsletter called "Site of the Day" .com. Well everyday you would get an email about a new interesting site on the Internet. This newsletter was run by University Faculty in America.

Another established Entrepreneur on the Internet was Jim Daniels, who ran www.Bizweb2000.com. He started of tell people how to set up on the Internet, how to run your business, how to set up a newsletter, online marketing, email lists, website design, how to set up autoresponders and create letters for enquires on your autoresponders, and contatenation of products, basically selling one product and offering a similar product, and another to sky rocket your online sales. If you sold a art newsletter offer a subscription to your second newsletter about hints and tips. The sames is for any product so that you turn a $20 purchase into a $100 purchase.

I was just looking in the wrong direction, I was focusing on running a newsletter and trying to get subscriptions when I should have been looking at domains.

I remember companies like Compuserve, Digital Mail (digitalmail.com), List Servers (Newsgroups (like alt.clothes.designer) ) World Pay, DoubleClick.com (adverts) Internetwire.com (press giveaway service with 45,000 journalists.

Also how you had to get a merchant account to offer credit card services to you customers. There was no other way to do business online and get instant sales. The Americans were way ahead of everyone offering this service, I don't think there were any companies in the UK offering it at the time.

That's why I get excited about domains, IDNs, because companies will snap them up in the future months. Its da-ja-vu, I was there in the late 1990's and saw the potential and now the same thing has happened again - its millions of people coming to your site - just in a different language.

I just think of it as water under the bridge - (hmmm)

horatiob
24th November 2010, 12:09 AM
All the good IDNs are not close to being taken....if you know where to look and how to find them. I pm'd you that information on where to get excel dictionaries, available 'to reg' lists and idn drop lists. But you politely passed...

Correct, I still remember you pm'd me. Im in the process of checking out the information. Its definately in my interest to take a look. Thanks for the tip...!

horatiob
24th November 2010, 12:15 AM

:) Ha!

One doesn't want to overdose though or miss your 'gem' in the crowd. :)

bwhhisc
24th November 2010, 12:41 AM
That's why I get excited about domains, IDNs, because companies will snap them up in the future months. Its da-ja-vu, I was there in the late 1990's and saw the potential and now the same thing has happened again - its millions of people coming to your site - just in a different language.

The opportunity for IDNs at reg fee and reseller prices is still there, but maybe not for long.
So if you are a visionary, I would raise some capitol and 'back up the truck' and catch up on your sleep later. ;)
For my 2 cents, go for established internet markets with in place advertising, PPC and high CPC. ie: Japanese IDNs.

Drewbert
24th November 2010, 12:41 AM

You can't beat copious amounts, that's for sure.

horatiob
24th November 2010, 01:03 AM
The opportunity for IDNs at reg fee and reseller prices is still there, but maybe not for long.
So if you are a visionary, I would raise some capitol and 'back up the truck' and catch up on your sleep later. ;)
For my 2 cents, go for established internet markets with in place advertising, PPC and high CPC. ie: Japanese IDNs.

In time Japan will create many successes for domainers.
Out of here, speak later, thanks.

horatiob
24th November 2010, 01:04 AM
You can't beat copious amounts, that's for sure.

:) Ha!