PDA

View Full Version : Tokyo Hotels - value?

IDNCowboy
11th May 2006, 05:07 PM
I remember when I first searched for available domains months ago that NYC Hotels etc were high advertised keywords in the U.S..

So I thought it would be the same in Japan so I registered two big city area hotel names...............

How much do you think this is worth? 東京ホテル.jp ? (TokyoHotels)?

imagine if idn.idn happens ;-)

gammascalper
11th May 2006, 05:09 PM
None at all.

But if you don't renew them, let me know ;)

thefabfive
11th May 2006, 05:17 PM
Yeah, Ovt close to 100K and advertiser bids over $1 - not much value there.

IDNCowboy
11th May 2006, 05:20 PM
haha i edited my first post as I was being ironic

but yea I own the domain ;)

Keep the responses coming and lets get serious ;P

thefabfive
11th May 2006, 05:27 PM
It's so difficult to apprais IDNs right now but since I made a little jest earlier I'll give it a shot.

Assuming traffic materializes, using the conservative approach Edwin established of 0.1% of the footprint, and a 72 month multiplier - low $xx,xxx.

Right now probably wouldn't let it go for less than mid $x,xxx (slight multi-word penalty in that assumption).

Just my wild guess.

gammascalper
11th May 2006, 05:28 PM
I wouldn't sell it -- ever.

Just forward to an hotel affiliate till your skin sags and teeth fall out.

Rubber Duck
11th May 2006, 07:28 PM
Removed at the thread orginator has gone all premenstral on me.

IDNCowboy
11th May 2006, 08:22 PM
Without reopening the old debate about .com versus .jp, I would have to say you are on the right tracks here. We identified combos of Prefectures with locally delivered services as a big opportunity, and the biggest of all was hotels, so we registered this lot:

xn--ddkyb8bv89yucd.net 山形ホテル Yamagata Hotel
xn--ddkyb8b305t36i.net 山口ホテル Yamaguchi Hotel
xn--ddkyb8bv89yz0m.net 山梨ホテル Yamanasi Hotel
you sure do love to pour your domain names in everyone's thread... 1-2 domains would be OK but your whole collection? heh

burnsinternet
11th May 2006, 08:33 PM
I was kinda jazzed by that list - to see that someone else (someone more credible than me, that is) is actually going after two word combo Japanese domains. It makes me feel less desperate! :p

thegenius1
11th May 2006, 08:39 PM
Dont feel desperate , you just have to take a look at what two words sell for on DNJ

Rubber Duck
11th May 2006, 08:46 PM
Dont feel desperate , you just have to take a look at what two words sell for on DNJ , and the type of revenue they can generate , and what companies will pay for them , there is only handfull of ways you can registar Hotels.com net .jp .tv .cc ect. There a many companys that need these names to save them millions in advertising , I will take 2 words combos over generics that are just bought because they are one word.

The way we figure it that is that in some instances, but not all, the qualifier in Combo increases value for small to middle sized companies. It is the most natural thing in the World to associate registering a Hotel with a specific geographical location. Unless you are Holiday Inn or Hilton or somebody, Hotel.com is really quite a general term. The World is full of local hotel chains with just a dozen or so hotels, that are focused in a certain region. There are also many booking agencies that just focus on a single large city. This is not desperation. Check out the Overture bids and you will see that the demand for such names is definitely there!

thegenius1
11th May 2006, 08:51 PM
Unless you are Holiday Inn or Hilton or somebody, Hotel.com is really quite a general term.

Even Holiday Inn or Hilton would probably love to have all the location to forward to there main Homepage

mulligan
11th May 2006, 08:59 PM
I have a bunch of 2 word combos, they can be relavant in their respectve indusries
*wish my traffic would reflect this though! its just a matter of time, a matter of time, matttere timmeme.........*

IDNCowboy
11th May 2006, 09:01 PM
It seems that there is a much bigger quantity of high paying($5+) keywords in japan compared to the u.s.

burnsinternet
11th May 2006, 09:16 PM
This is not desperation. Check out the Overture bids and you will see that the demand for such names is definitely there!

I didn't mean to insinuate that you were desperate. Sorry if it came out that way, Rubber Duck. I, too, see value in some two word combos. Thanks for sharing the big list with us!

Rubber Duck
11th May 2006, 09:50 PM
I didn't mean to insinuate that you were desperate. Sorry if it came out that way, Rubber Duck. I, too, see value in some two word combos. Thanks for sharing the big list with us!

No offence taken. I posted the full list to indicate how easy it is to extrapolate a very good primary generic using a list of geographical locations.

Two word combos are likely to much used in China and Japan as there are few other ways to work around. Combining with Geographicals is the obvious next phase. Much better a combo like TokyoHotel.com than an obscure single dictionary term the likes of which you see at DNFs appraisal threads.

Olney
11th May 2006, 11:44 PM
The term should do well Jeff after IDNs become used more I expect it to go at least high XX,XXX to low XXX,XXX
The hotel industry is absolutely competitive Travel Agencies & hotels would be looking for terms like this.

Dave is right I've also been writing about buying in themes. There's only one hotel in Japanese Actually 2 Hotel.com & Hotel.net they won't let you register the dot jp.

That might sell for $500,000
But if you have 20 hotspots & hotel in jp & com selling at $50,000 to $75,000 each, who's going to make out better & who's going to get a quicker sale?

I went to the Search Engine Strategies here in Tokyo & travel is very competitive in Japan.

IDNCowboy
11th May 2006, 11:53 PM
The term should do well Jeff after IDNs become used more I expect it to go at least high XX,XXX to low XXX,XXX
The hotel industry is absolutely competitive Travel Agencies & hotels would be looking for terms like this.

Dave is right I've also been writing about buying in themes. There's only one hotel in Japanese Actually 2 Hotel.com & Hotel.net they won't let you register the dot jp.

That might sell for $500,000
But if you have 20 hotspots & hotel in jp & com selling at $50,000 to $75,000 each, who's going to make out better & who's going to get a quicker sale?

I went to the Search Engine Strategies here in Tokyo & travel is very competitive in Japan.
oh well ;)

i guess it helped that i got this name while everyone was getting their .com and .cn chinese names ;P