PDA

View Full Version : ".香港" domain name will be under registration for public from January 2, 2011.

todaynow
7th December 2010, 08:38 AM
".香港" domain name will be under registration for public from January 2, 2011. ".hk" domain owner enjoys priority in registering ".香港" domain names.

Mr. Jonathan Shea, CEO of HKIRC said,"We plan to launch the ‘.香港’ domain name this year and offer free registration of the Chinese domain to current English domain users first. This not only helps them name their websites with full Chinese domain names to expand their business, but also eliminates the language barrier by using the easy-to-remember and easy-to-understand Chinese domain names. With the dual usage of simplified and traditional Chinese characters, the ‘.香港’ domain can help raise business brand awareness and extend website browsing to the Greater China region, further opening up potential new market opportunities. It is estimated that at least 37,000 ‘.hk’ users will register the related Chinese ‘.hk’ domain in the pre-registration period."

Most companies in Chinese Mainland and Taiwan use Chinese domains. ".香港" domain names can localize the websites of Honk Kong's small and medium enterprises and can increase their popularity both in Chinese Mainland and Taiwan. With ".香港" domain names websites may easy to get a high rank in search engines. It's obvious that Chinese domain names will be the trend of the times.

:yes:

blastfromthepast
7th December 2010, 12:32 PM
We plan to launch the ‘.香港’ domain name this year and offer free registration of the Chinese domain to current English domain users first.

Why does Rubber Duck get the upper hand? What about Molvanian domain users? Not fair!

7th December 2010, 12:35 PM
Why does Rubber Duck get the upper hand? What about Molvanian domain users? Not fair!
Molvanîa.com Available

Rubber Duck
7th December 2010, 06:39 PM
I am sorry but I am confused here. Didn't IDN holders in .cn, .hk and .tw already get their equivalent in both Simplified and Traditional extensions?

Does this mean that ASCII.ASCII are going to be entitled to ASCII.IDN? And if so, who would want it anyway?

blastfromthepast
7th December 2010, 07:34 PM
.CN yes. Not sure about .HK

Rubber Duck
7th December 2010, 07:50 PM
.CN yes. Not sure about .HK

Well, they certainly confused IDNnews.com:

http://www.idnnews.com/?p=9698

Drewbert
7th December 2010, 08:52 PM
It's been in the root since July.

http://www.iana.org/domains/root/db/xn--j6w193g.html

But now they're finally going to start populating it.

My guess is he's talking about idn.hk getting first dibs on idn.香港 via a re-reg period.

blastfromthepast
7th December 2010, 09:50 PM
My guess is he's talking about idn.hk getting first dibs on idn.香港 via a re-reg period.

:eek:

mulligan
8th December 2010, 01:17 AM
Yes .. In .hk

I am sorry but I am confused here. Didn't IDN holders in .cn, .hk and .tw already get their equivalent in both Simplified and Traditional extensions?

blastfromthepast
8th December 2010, 02:41 PM
Still not sure what this news means for IDN.hk owners.

todaynow
9th December 2010, 08:19 AM
if you own a .hk domain, you can get a .香港 domain for free in January next year...
probably mean that~

IDNCowboy
9th December 2010, 12:12 PM
if you own a .hk domain, you can get a .香港 domain for free in January next year...
probably mean that~

The debut is less than a month away. You run an .hk registrar. You don't even have a clue yet what you expect to be selling?

todaynow
13th December 2010, 04:15 AM
i'm just work at an registrar in China~newbie~
now i got more info: if you register an idn.hk domain name, you can get a free idn.香港 domain name in next year, but we still not sure how long you can have the free idn.香港...waiting for the infoemation from HKIRC...