PDA

View Full Version : Value of Single Character IDN names ? ỷ.net

ryanmlanane
28th January 2011, 06:56 PM
I'm aware that

A) It isn't a .com
B) It is Spanish which isn't top tier in the IDN name

But in general ... what is the value of single character IDN names ? Has there been any high value sales of one yet ? Very interested in this ... As well as two / three characters. I see some Russian IDN names that equate out to 3 character .com names and I am not sure whether they are worth messing with or not.

I know I searched IDN sales history and ended up with a bunch of links here. But has anyone put up a web site like dnjournal.com that lists all past IDN sales yet ? It would be interesting to be able to see ...

Also picked up 苏格兰威士忌.com (scotch.com) which I was suprised there wasn't more interest in. Nor search volume per say, however I have to believe the name has value unless it was mis translated which image search and multiple translation ques tell me it isn't ?

mulligan
28th January 2011, 07:05 PM
I'm aware that

A) It isn't a .com
B) It is Spanish which isn't top tier in the IDN name

But in general ... what is the value of single character IDN names ? Has there been any high value sales of one yet ? Very interested in this ... As well as two / three characters. I see some Russian IDN names that equate out to 3 character .com names and I am not sure whether they are worth messing with or not.

I know I searched IDN sales history and ended up with a bunch of links here. But has anyone put up a web site like dnjournal.com that lists all past IDN sales yet ? It would be interesting to be able to see ...

Also picked up 苏格兰威士忌.com (scotch.com) which I was suprised there wasn't more interest in. Nor search volume per say, however I have to believe the name has value unless it was mis translated which image search and multiple translation ques tell me it isn't ?

苏格兰威士忌.com might be more accurately translated as Scotch (Scotland) Whiskey

As for the value of single character domains .. That's something you have to make your mind up on.

ryanmlanane
28th January 2011, 07:15 PM
苏格兰威士忌.com might be more accurately translated as Scotch (Scotland) Whiskey

As for the value of single character domains .. That's something you have to make your mind up on.

I know the obvious value of english single character .com names

All of asia however tends to put more importance on short numbers

Russia - I know little to nothing about ... However I would assume single character names is Russia would have the highest values out of all, maybe .de but I know NOTHING about .de yet which is a big mistake.

Spanish - I think Mexico is under developed. However Spain is entirely different and would be a good target market for this particular domain. It seems .es names are selling well so why a spanish single character name wouldn't sell fairly well is above me. Again, it most likely comes down to the work and effort you put into finding the proper buyer.

It's a learning game, and it's going to cost me some stupid registrations I am sure but this board sure is giving me a good short cut to being on the right path. It's fun - and it's been a while since I have had "fun" working and learning the internet business again, I got burnt out on it years back.

Thanks for the proper translation - is there a Chinese equivalent of scotch.com that doesn't mean "Scottish Whiskey" and just means "Generically Speaking" [Scotch] ? Is it commonly used or not ?

lipps
28th January 2011, 08:39 PM
I saw this on dynadot as well.
Its not really a single character but a name in Viet. (perse')
Ill point you to the wikipedia page.
Note that the Ỷ at the top is a failed graphic representation of this character
but the information on the page is correct

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E1%BB%B6_Lan

ryanmlanane
28th January 2011, 08:43 PM
As I said, always learning .. Thought it was a single spanish character, ughhhh lol

alexd
28th January 2011, 08:48 PM
It's a learning game, and it's going to cost me some stupid registrations I am sure but this board sure is giving me a good short cut to being on the right path. It's fun - and it's been a while since I have had "fun" working and learning the internet business again, I got burnt out on it years back.

I think the majority of us here at IDNforums have gone through this and have made stupid registrations - I know I made quite a few - and still do make some bummers !! At least you are in the right place for everything IDN related.

lipps
28th January 2011, 08:54 PM
one thing you have to remember when looking at "one character domains"
They are not really one character at this time
Unless the language has been set up and approed by idn.xxx then you still own xn---123.stuff
You see now that russian single characters are selling.. or out there now.
Thats because the language is in place.
Chinease is out there and you see a market, but there are few true single idn characters in Chinease or Japanese. The language does not work that way.

The true single characters that are of value now or in the future are those that are on a keyboard, or used so frequently in a language that it is not possible to express the word without the accent or mark.

Its still just a wait and see. Even the experts here (I am not one of them) disagree on their value if any at all.

Avtal
29th January 2011, 06:32 AM
ryanmlanane,

Welcome to the forum!

Here's a thread you might be interested in, if you want to explore single-character extended-latin domains:

Extended Latin Characters: A Spreadsheet (http://www.idnforums.com/forums/28087-extended-latin-characters-a-spreadsheet.html)

Avtal

domainguru
29th January 2011, 10:22 AM
It is a learning game, but one tip I can give you is if something is STILL available to register in 2011, 10 years after IDN launch, you can be 99.999% sure its not a hidden gem waiting to be polished.

As for the value of single character domains in general, you really need to separate out alphabet-based languages, which have a very limited number of written characters (examples being English, Russian, Thai) , vs logogram-based languages, which can have a huge number (thousands) of single-characters. Examples being Chinese, Korean, Japanese.

Pretty obviously, if a language only has a few dozen single characters (letters), which is the case for most alphabetical languages, there is an obvious potential "rarity" value. Think how much the 26 English letters will reach if ICANN ever get round to auctioning them (whatever happened to that?).

But even then you need to be careful. For example in the written Thai language, vowels can ONLY appear in conjunction with an associated consonant. So if you picked up a Thai vowel, you might think you have a gem, but in fact its not something a Thai would type deliberately as a single character, or indeed want to market a product / service around. So KNOW YOUR LANGUAGE.

As for the domain you mentioned, I'd need the punycode to research it properly .........

Rubber Duck
29th January 2011, 07:59 PM
[QUOTE=domainguru;175073]It is a learning game, but one tip I can give you is if something is STILL available to register in 2011, 10 years after IDN launch, you can be 99.999% sure its not a hidden gem waiting to be polished.

[QUOTE]

I disagree strongly with this assumption. Generally a landrush goes to about half a million. Very few IDN registrations have anything like that level of penetration. There is definitely a lot more out there that is going to be worth investing in. I am not talking Schillings 90 Million plus long tail, but IDN.com value is far from exhausted, let alone dot Net.

Avtal
29th January 2011, 08:54 PM
I disagree strongly with this assumption. Generally a landrush goes to about half a million. Very few IDN registrations have anything like that level of penetration. There is definitely a lot more out there that is going to be worth investing in. I am not talking Schillings 90 Million plus long tail, but IDN.com value is far from exhausted, let alone dot Net.

I agree with RD. Of course, you have to be realistic. If you think you've discovered that the Russian translation of "gold .com" is still unregistered, it doesn't mean that everyone in the last 10 years has been blind; it means that you have been tripped up by a lack of understanding of Russian grammar.

But there are still a lot of unregistered IDNs available that someone is going to make money from.

Avtal

domainguru
30th January 2011, 07:28 AM
Hence the phrase "not a hidden gem". At only 1M or so IDN regges, it goes without saying there are plenty more decent IDNs to reg in plenty of languages.

But for people new to the game that think they have come across a great unregged name, it probably ain't great after all.

I do believe there will be "2nd wave" of hand registrations once VeriSign firm up its plans for .com aliasing and the "launch" date approaches. How many of these 2nd wave registrations will be wise investments only time will tell.