PDA

View Full Version : Making IDN gTLD's Attractive and Safe-Tina Dam

Kent99
28th February 2011, 08:38 PM
Tina's article at CircleID.com

http://www.circleid.com/posts/making_idn_gtlds_attractive_and_safe/

bumblebee man
28th February 2011, 10:52 PM
I don't get this. She's not in charge with IDNs anymore. She never was in charge with IDN gTLDs and now shes talking about tt-gTLDs (yet another abbreviation :D ).

Drewbert
28th February 2011, 11:38 PM
"All opinions in this post are personal."

I'll bet Tina is about to resurface as a consultant for new gTLD's.

Probably some sort of involvement with Adrian Kinderis.

Nudge Nudge, Wink Wink.

Rubber Duck
1st March 2011, 07:07 AM
Some solid stuff there, but she seems to be representing some strong vested interests and its a shame some of this did not get an airing a couple of years ago.

She ask for lower fees for registrars, but no talk of uniform prices fore registrants. Do I hear the Verisign herd stampeding?

Seems unlikely to me that Austrians would have been the highest bidder for what many must regard as a key asset.

TinaDam
1st March 2011, 07:55 AM
So because I am no longer at ICANN staff I am not allowed to speak my mind about IDN gTLDs? :-)

I am doing it for one reason only and that is that I am concerned about translated-gTLDs being operated by different registries - thus creating confusion among users.

Members on IDNforum have for a while now been requesting [your-domain-name].[translated-gTLD] - well obviously that is not possible unless the translated-gTLD is operated by the same entity....

Its a problem. Where do we draw the line between variants and translations...I don't see it.

bwhhisc
1st March 2011, 11:48 AM
Members on IDNforum have for a while now been requesting [your-domain-name].[translated-gTLD] - well obviously that is not possible unless the translated-gTLD is operated by the same entity....

Most are looking for Verisign to create an idn equal for .com and .net in major languages to provide idn.idn, as well as .jp to become .jp (idn).

JamesZ
1st March 2011, 11:49 AM
Hi Tina,

Very nice thoughts and constructive suggestions. I have a couple of questions.

1. About user expectation, have any studies been done to verify users expect the translated TLDs to be the same as the corresponding ascii TLDs? As we know, ascii.com and translated-ascii.com are not the same and any users who know about IDNs probably know it. Why will they expect this to be different for letters after the dot? Considering translations to be confusingly similar may have serious consequences.
Of course, this issue is language dependent. For some languages, the translated and transliterated versions are very similar then they may need to be bundled due to either visual or sound similarity.

2. Another issue is, should this apply to all new gTLDs. For example, the applicant who applies for .sport may not want to do business all over the world for all the languages. If his application stops people in other countries from applying translated TLD of .sport, that is certainly bad. If we allow them to be operated by different entities, then what is the point to have the rule only work for current gTLDs?

3. As we know for some TLDs, the correct translations can be difficult to make. Either the applicants who apply for an IDN-gTLD need to specify all the translated variants at the time of application or not, it can cause many problems.

James

bumblebee man
1st March 2011, 11:57 AM
So because I am no longer at ICANN staff I am not allowed to speak my mind about IDN gTLDs? :-)

Sorry, I wasn't criticizing, just wondering. I really appreciate your comments.

I am doing it for one reason only and that is that I am concerned about translated-gTLDs being operated by different registries - thus creating confusion among users.

I wholeheartedly agree with that. Anything else would be a desaster (and not only for us).

squirrel
1st March 2011, 03:14 PM
What's the likeliness of the board reducing the price tag on "bundled tt-gTLDs" ? I was under the impression that new gTLDs would "fund" the fast tracked ccTLDs. I can't remember which board member discussed it in details but it seemed pretty clear at the time that the 185K price tag would cover in part the $$ that some countries would not pay. So far I think just a handful of countries have paid the full fee for their internationalized ccTLD.. so I ask, what's the likeliness ?

Rubber Duck
1st March 2011, 03:51 PM

Its a problem. Where do we draw the line between variants and translations...I don't see it.

Absolutely, which is why it should have been made patently clear from Day One that existing TLD owners would be entitled to their in all the Translits and Translations of their extension, and what's more they should get it at a reasonable price.

Instead 10 years on and 99% of the domain industry are still hanging on for Real IDN.

Who exactly do we have to thank for that happy set of circumstances?

Rubber Duck
1st March 2011, 03:54 PM
What's the likeliness of the board reducing the price tag on "bundled tt-gTLDs" ? I was under the impression that new gTLDs would "fund" the fast tracked ccTLDs. I can't remember which board member discussed it in details but it seemed pretty clear at the time that the 185K price tag would cover in part the $$ that some countries would not pay. So far I think just a handful of countries have paid the full fee for their internationalized ccTLD.. so I ask, what's the likeliness ?

Yep, it is a bit like a Politician expecting to be bought dinner but not wanting to dine with his host.

1st March 2011, 05:24 PM
that is not possible unless the translated-gTLD is operated by the same entity....
Wasn't it always and still is how it's planned to work?
Its a problem. Where do we draw the line between variants and translations...I don't see it.And that's why i think ICANN should not worry too much about the type of confusion, as any type (visural,aural or otherwise) are more then anyone can afford if they want to keep the internet global,safe and secure as it states on the first sentence of ICANN's policy/reason for existence.

It also would be great if ICANN would pay closer attention to local markets as the fact some registries are still selling alternate root 'domains' and are doing it in part because they display the official icann seal as they are official registries for ascii registrations, not alternate root 'domains' which can't really be called domains. That alone helped raise confusion and when any group is claiming rights to clearly confusing strings i think ICANN's position should be much less inviting then it was and still is and much more severe actions towards anyone and anything that is putting the internet in risk.

Rubber Duck
1st March 2011, 06:33 PM
Yes, what has the GAC given us?

Dash Dot Coms. That's what!

sbe18
2nd March 2011, 06:14 PM
there is going to be confusion inside languages and across languages.

dot sport is threatening ICANN with a suit, if it approves dot cricket/baseball/football/

as if incorporating a firm as 'dot sport' entitles a group as the dot sport registry de facto,
and before the process even starts.

remember the dot food ...Wolfgang Puck and wife imbroglio...

would the NFL and FIFA fight over football / futbol etc.. who knows...

the failures with aero museum, jobs, post and tel seem to be ignored by all the entities circling like sharks.

The GAC/ UN play is in its death throes...
It is not pleasant to watch, but ICANN with it MOU with the US Govt has to play its new
global constituency role out through to the final guidebook.

With NFC and machine to machine IP traffic about to explode, the need for IPv6 is glaring along IDN's/ and new gTLD's needed for smartphone native language use.

The most glaring need for an IDN variant for dot com/ net is Arabic.

But the next revolt will be Verisign shareholders in 2012...possibly.

Drewbert
3rd March 2011, 04:17 AM
dot sport is threatening ICANN with a suit, if it approves dot cricket/baseball/football/

That's effing hilarious. Got a link?

I might go for .universe and challenge everything.

Clotho
3rd March 2011, 05:39 AM
.anything has no upward limit so of course there are problems.

Was there any variant issues with the IDN ccTLD implementation? No there wasn't.

If existing gTLD's such as .com .net and .asia were implemented as IDN.IDN would there be any problems? I don't think so and even the GAC suggested that " an initial fast track round for a limited number of non-controversial applications" (http://domainnamewire.com/2010/09/24/gac-to-icann-limit-next-round-of-new-top-level-domain-names/) would be a wiser course of action.

Why were existing gTLD's tied to .anything in the first place? They are proven, .anything is not and delay is costly in the extreme.

Rubber Duck
3rd March 2011, 08:44 AM
Yes, and ICANN is now doing what it does best.

Talking people to death.

sbe18
3rd March 2011, 07:17 PM
to drewbart....
don't spritz your pina colata ...

http://www.dotsportllc.com/index.php?pageId=25
----------------------
However, we also take this opportunity to raise a serious concern and hereby inform you that we emphatically oppose any diminution of .sport and will take all steps necessary to ensure that the top-level domain for our sector is properly protected. We are concerned that ICANN may be prematurely entertaining a process that will allow proliferation of names in sub-categories or individual sports, which will lead to confusion in the marketplace of users. We cannot accept ICANN approving any applications for top-level domains that could diminish the solidarity implied with .sport."

Drewbert
3rd March 2011, 07:59 PM
Fucktards.

blastfromthepast
3rd March 2011, 10:51 PM
That's like claiming to be doing business at street address you don't own or occupy, before someone a lot is even subdivided and assigned street addresses.

sarcle
3rd March 2011, 10:53 PM
Making IDN gTLD's Attractive and Safe

Only three things are needed in order to achieve this.

Hookers, Alcohol, and Condoms.

Bam!! What else do you need fixed?

Shit, that's only going to work for ".retarded" and the other new gTLDs. IDN will be just fine. That is if ICANN ever get around to the gTLDs.

Also, Catholics believe God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit are all one person. What if different Christian orgs apply for these independently? Would this be considered confusing and if so who would get them? I smell a lawsuit.

Also if I were to apply for .satan would that be considered confusable with .devil?

Eh, on with the dog and pony show.

domainguru
4th March 2011, 08:39 AM
If ICANN wanted to stop confusion, why did they allow .biz to launched after .bz already existed, and subsequently allow .bz to be re-launched as "the new .biz".

Seems to me any excuse to keep this process rolling on and on, even if it means patronizing the entire world population.

squirrel
11th March 2011, 03:50 PM
I'll bet Tina is about to resurface as a consultant for new gTLD's.

domainincite.com/dotmusic-and-icann-execs-form-tld-consultancy/

Constantine Roussos, best known his campaign for .music, has teamed up with ICANN veteran Tina Dam to launch MyTLD.com, promising to help applicants with their TLD bids.

Drewbert
11th March 2011, 05:41 PM
So what did I win?

squirrel
11th March 2011, 06:00 PM
I think you win a three-way high five with Tina and Beckstrom @ San Fran next week.

sarcle
11th March 2011, 09:26 PM
I think you win a three-way with Tina and Beckstrom @ San Fran next week.

FTFY