PDA

View Full Version : Thai psychology

domainguru
21st March 2011, 07:14 PM
I was trying to buy one or more niche Thai domains recently for a development project. Of the three domains I was interested in, two were owned by Thais, and one by an esteemed (non-Thai) member of this board.

I did a deal with the board member without any problems but the attitude of the Thai owners surprised (shocked!) me because they made it very clear to me that they wouldn't sell the domains to me for one very simple and clear reason - because I was "foreign". It didn't matter that:

a) I was offering good money
b) I was planning to utilize the domains
c) I have lived in Thailand a long time
d) I have a Thai son and Thai step-daughter
e) I can speak Thai
f) They had no plans for the domains.

So I left them to stew in their xenophobia, life is too short.

That got me thinking though ... what if most Thais are like this, and importantly, what if this extends to domain sales as well as purchases? Nobody on this board really cares if they can't buy from Thais, but what if they can't sell to most Thais either?

Would Thais have this same xenophobic attitude about buying from foreigners, or is it just selling to foreigners they see as "unpatriotic" or whatever the **** they are thinking? Maybe Thais will consider it patriotic to buy domains "back" from foreigners? ;-)

The reaction I got was pretty sad, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Foreigners aren't allowed to own land in Thailand, and if you consider domains as virtual real estate ....

squirrel
21st March 2011, 08:45 PM
Will you try doing the deal through a prête-nom / proxy agent ?

I'm quite surprised about that attitude. And, did they mean foreigner, or white-foreigner, westerner perhaps ? Do you think they would have sold to a Chinese man for example ?

Rubber Duck
21st March 2011, 08:47 PM
Hmmm...

If they are so patriotic, why haven't they bought more and particularly their own cctld?

domainguru
21st March 2011, 08:51 PM
Will you try doing the deal through a prête-nom / proxy agent ?

I'm quite surprised about that attitude. And, did they mean foreigner, or white-foreigner, westerner perhaps ? Do you think they would have sold to a Chinese man for example ?

Good questions!

1) No I wouldn't try and buy through a proxy. If someone doesn't want to deal with me because I am foreign, I don't want to deal with them, either personally or via proxy.

2) I'm not sure. I guess an Asian dude would have a better chance of doing a deal, but how much more, really no idea.

But like I say, I guess very few people on this forum will want to buy Thai domains from Thais, but quite a few will want to sell to Thais. So I am more interested in Thais attitude to buying from foreigners, whether Asian or western.

I'll be sure to ask my Thai friends when I get back next month. My gut says "Thais want Thai domains for Thai people" so won't have a problem buying from foreigners but I'm not sure at all. Thais might resent foreigners owning in the first place, and also not like the idea of having Thai funds going abroad ....

If they do have a problem buying from foreigners I might have to start writing all my emails in Thai ?!?

domainguru
21st March 2011, 08:54 PM
Hmmm...

If they are so patriotic, why haven't they bought more and particularly their own cctld?

I think it is mostly just the thought of "Thai property" (to them) being in the hands of foreigners.

Like I said, foreigners can't own land in Thailand, Thais would rather have land plots sitting empty than sell to foreigners. That is similar to unregged domains I guess.

Very few Thais bother with their own ccTLD. It has historically been a PITA in terms of restrictions, cost etc. The IDN version is no better. Thailand is a .com shop for most Thais. And of course you have to be Thai to register .th names so Thais don't have to worry that foreigners will get their hands on them.

More Thais will buy .coms in Thai when the .com is converted to .คอม

tee1
22nd March 2011, 02:09 AM
Nobody on this board really cares if they can't buy from Thais, but what if they can't sell to most Thais either?

If the demand is great enough I am sure Thai domainer(s) will emerge as to serve as flippers.

btw thanks for sharing the experience, very interesting.

idn
22nd March 2011, 02:16 AM
I sold two Thai domains to two natives last month. So I think they are willing to purchase from foreigners.

Wot
22nd March 2011, 03:15 AM
I will sell my .co , .biz and even IDNThai.com to anybody-pleeeeeeeeeeeeeese! (-:

Checked out SiamNic .com Thailand.co.th , Sex.co.th,Chiangmai.co.th etc available to register-get in quick!

domainguru
22nd March 2011, 07:41 PM
I will sell my .co , .biz and even IDNThai.com to anybody-pleeeeeeeeeeeeeese! (-:

Checked out SiamNic .com Thailand.co.th , Sex.co.th,Chiangmai.co.th etc available to register-get in quick!

As far as I know, Thai geos cannot be registered in any .th domain, whether IDN or ASCII.

domainguru
22nd March 2011, 08:11 PM
I sold two Thai domains to two natives last month. So I think they are willing to purchase from foreigners.

Care to spill? :)

idn
22nd March 2011, 08:17 PM
Care to spill? :)

Yeah, one of them you actually provided the correct translation for me via email about a month ago. lol. Er, thanks.

domainguru
22nd March 2011, 08:41 PM
Yeah, one of them you actually provided the correct translation for me via email about a month ago. lol. Er, thanks.

lol, yes, just found it, the "install gas" (not) name :) Google translator is exceedingly shite for Thai ... it translate "sell ticket(s)" wrongly as "prostitute(s)" .... oops!

ขายตั๋ว = sell ticket(s)
ขายตัว = prostitute

but Google says both are "prostitute" !!

ok, the difference is just the "+" tonal marker, ticket has a rising tone because of the "+" tonal marker, prostitute has level tone, but still, Google is supposedly a leading translation engine and it can't even do simple shit.

'Tis a nasty language to speak though for us dumb foreigners. I have tried to ask a ticketing agent about whether she sold tickets for something and instead asked her if she was a hooker. Must have had other things on my mind. Now what is "freudian slit, I mean slip" in Thai .....

Wot
23rd March 2011, 12:14 AM
As far as I know, Thai geos cannot be registered in any .th domain, whether IDN or ASCII.

Correct.

They also had sex.eu available!So I assume everything is available until you have paid your money-or am I simply being harsh. :)

Wot
23rd March 2011, 12:48 AM
Never tried to buy from locals as I simply sell although my most recent offer from a local of $20 for รายได้.com was declined after much deliberation. (-:

bwhhisc
23rd March 2011, 04:14 AM
I sold a local Thai 2 idns.....Tshirt.com and guitar.com.

domainguru
25th March 2011, 09:41 AM
Just a quick follow-up. Something the deputy prime-minister of Thailand said yesterday in parliament ...

------
"It would be "inappropriate" to allow outside involvement in the poll, which is due in June or July and comes after deadly street protests last year, said Suthep Thaugsuban.

"I don't respect 'farangs'. We do not have to surrender to them," he said, using the Thai word for "Westerners".
-------

Unfortunately, this kind of xenophobic attitude is quite common amongst Thais, and would help explain why they don't want to sell 'their' domains to westerners. Sad but true.

But hey, if they are happy to buy, I guess nobody here really gives a flying **** :)

Wot
25th March 2011, 11:42 AM
Just a quick follow-up. Something the deputy prime-minister of Thailand said yesterday in parliament ...

------
"It would be "inappropriate" to allow outside involvement in the poll, which is due in June or July and comes after deadly street protests last year, said Suthep Thaugsuban.

"I don't respect 'farangs'. We do not have to surrender to them," he said, using the Thai word for "Westerners".
-------

Unfortunately, this kind of xenophobic attitude is quite common amongst Thais, and would help explain why they don't want to sell 'their' domains to westerners. Sad but true.

But hey, if they are happy to buy, I guess nobody here really gives a flying **** :)

Hopefully the foreign press will pick this up and Suthep will get his come upance.

Billions of $'s in foreign investment in Thailand from those farangs and thousands of them who have chosen Thailand as their home and their holiday destination and where they spend their money which is never refused.

That man is a liability to Abhisits government.

domainguru
25th March 2011, 08:28 PM
Hopefully the foreign press will pick this up and Suthep will get his come upance.

Billions of $'s in foreign investment in Thailand from those farangs and thousands of them who have chosen Thailand as their home and their holiday destination and where they spend their money which is never refused.

That man is a liability to Abhisits government.

I'd love to think so but I think we've both seen a million times Thai politics is incredibly insular. Thai politicians just seem to behave like 2-year old kids most of the time. Few seem to give a toss how they appear to the Thai populous, so I'm not sure any really care how they appear to foreigners.

kong707
22nd July 2011, 02:49 PM
As I am Thai, I don't think thai is usual attitude among Thais.
In Thailand, if you are "Farang" ,you get better services from resteurants and etc. Especially thai women prefer "Farang" as a husband more than Thais.

I,myself,can sell my domains or business to foreigner if I get a good deal.

Suthep said that thing because he is Democrat and he pros the concept of the closed society.It is the common opinion for democrat and aristocrat. That cause the disruption in this country for te past several years.

IdnHost
22nd July 2011, 10:40 PM
I doubt the majority of Thai people/investers have the same view as those two highly patriotic Sellers. You will find a bunch of weird people in any country.

domainguru
22nd July 2011, 10:47 PM
I doubt the majority of Thai people/investers have the same view as those two highly patriotic Sellers. You will find a bunch of weird people in any country.

Yeah I obviously came across a couple of "patriots" ..... though I have to say, the concept of the "closed society" is quite common here, its quite strange to behold in such a "shrinking" world. Oh well, at least it will keep the Thai language safe for another 100 years :)