PDA

View Full Version : Japanese daily average revenue trend

Clotho
27th March 2011, 06:26 AM
Since August of last year I have noticed a steady and substantial increase in the monthly revenue produced by my Japanese portfolio. Month after month a new record is reached or nearly so. I noticed that February would have beaten the record produced by January if it hadn't been short 3 days so I decided to calculate the average daily revenue for each month and see how the trend looked.

I went as far back as I could to January of 2008. I took the total revenue for my Japanese portfolio for each month and divided by the number of days to produce the average. The leap day in Feb/08 has been accounted for as well. For this month (March 2011) I used the revenue up to the 25th.

My portfolio over this period of time has been fairly stable. I did cull some names at one point but none of them had produced any revenue so they shouldn't have any bearing on this.

I'm not sure about the volatility prior to 2009. It is possible that some domains were indexed at that time. I have noticed that the portfolio experiences some seasonal variations.

The trend is clear and I am looking forward to the ride. :)

http://img815.imageshack.us/img815/5819/averagedailyrevenueforj.jpg

Rubber Duck
27th March 2011, 12:02 PM
Yes, me too, but the real Barn Stormer is Arabic now accounting for over 50% of all our traffic and on terms with Japanese for Revenue.

Both of these, show the huge trend in traffic on single character domains, which is one of the reasons our Arab Traffic is so high. Do they convert at the same rate as Generics? Well No. Does it matter? The answer there is also No, because despite a lower conversion rate, they still head the revenue charts.

domainguru
27th March 2011, 07:20 PM
Since August of last year I have noticed a steady and substantial increase in the monthly revenue produced by my Japanese portfolio. Month after month a new record is reached or nearly so. I noticed that February would have beaten the record produced by January if it hadn't been short 3 days so I decided to calculate the average daily revenue for each month and see how the trend looked.

I went as far back as I could to January of 2008. I took the total revenue for my Japanese portfolio for each month and divided by the number of days to produce the average. The leap day in Feb/08 has been accounted for as well. For this month (March 2011) I used the revenue up to the 25th.

My portfolio over this period of time has been fairly stable. I did cull some names at one point but none of them had produced any revenue so they shouldn't have any bearing on this.

I'm not sure about the volatility prior to 2009. It is possible that some domains were indexed at that time. I have noticed that the portfolio experiences some seasonal variations.

The trend is clear and I am looking forward to the ride. :)

http://img815.imageshack.us/img815/5819/averagedailyrevenueforj.jpg

I think more people would share viewer or revenue stats if they knew how to produce them quickly. Can you share the steps needed to produce the graph?

alpha
27th March 2011, 08:03 PM
I pulled similar stats, again just for Japanese domains.

http://www.intertagmedia.com/webimages/Japanese_08_10.jpg

Notes:

I have experimented with different monetization methods, the 2008 nose-dive was the death of the mini-site I think
Since 2009 pretty much everything is parked and stayed that way
Not sure what happened Nov/Dec last year, but things took a tumble
The pink line shows the number of Japanese domains I hold, as you can see I dropped 50% over the years

Summary, there are too many variables to accurately predict, but whichever way you look at it, it is trending up.

Clotho
27th March 2011, 08:05 PM
Both of these, show the huge trend in traffic on single character domains, which is one of the reasons our Arab Traffic is so high. Do they convert at the same rate as Generics? Well No. Does it matter? The answer there is also No, because despite a lower conversion rate, they still head the revenue charts.

I don't have that many single character domains myself. Most of my portfolio is generic with a sprinkling of brandable/single character Kanji.

I think more people would share viewer or revenue stats if they knew how to produce them quickly. Can you share the steps needed to produce the graph?

There isn't really that much to it. I dropped the data into Excel and then inserted a chart into the spreadsheet. Just click on Insert and then Chart. You can highlight specific data you wish to chart before you create it if you want to only graph a certain portion of your work.

The chart wizard gives you lots of options to play with so the first time may take a bit longer but after that you can make them quickly.

I chose a slightly 3d type for this one purely for aesthetics. A flatter type of graph will display the data more faithfully but wouldn't be as attractive.

Getting the chart into my post is a bit of a kludge. I did a screen capture, cropped it in Photoshop and then uploaded it to imageshack who gave me a url to insert into the post. I'm sure there is a way to export the chart as a jpg from Excel directly but I couldn't find it.

I would be interested in plotting some other factors against this graph if I had a good source for data. I think it would be interesting to see how browser share has grown over the same period of time.

Clotho
27th March 2011, 08:34 PM
I have experimented with different monetization methods, the 2008 nose-dive was the death of the mini-site I think
Since 2009 pretty much everything is parked and stayed that way
Not sure what happened Nov/Dec last year, but things took a tumble
The pink line shows the number of Japanese domains I hold, as you can see I dropped 50% over the years

Summary, there are too many variables to accurately predict, but whichever way you look at it, it is trending up.

Alpha, Thank you for sharing.

You do have a few more variables in yours ie. shifting monetization methods, moving blocks of domains to different vectors including drops etc. Which all make plotting this even more difficult. Did you work it out as average daily revenue or did you just plot monthly revenue? My own graph was more erratic when I just plotted monthly revenue.

Still, it is pretty easy to see which way the wind is blowing.

The effects of the global financial collapse can be seen in my graph as well. The lowest point is November of 2008 which is the same month that Japan announced that it was in a recession.

I have to admit I get excited when I see a trend this strong and this early. When you consider all the other factors that have yet to come into play for IDN's, IE. IDN.IDN, Email adoption, increased advertising, increased awareness etc. you just know that the rate is going to accelerate tremendously.

alpha
27th March 2011, 09:31 PM
Did you work it out as average daily revenue or did you just plot monthly revenue? My own graph was more erratic when I just plotted monthly revenue.

mine was just monthly revenue totals, which makes it all the more interesting I think. I dropped 50% of my domains, and a lot of them were making $, just not enough to warrant keeping them - had I kept them, the graph would have been even more dramatic.

Still, it is pretty easy to see which way the wind is blowing.

Agree. I have a ton of data, all at domain/date level showing monetization method by day/revenue/clicks/visits etc - but it only makes sense at an individual domain level - but yes, over all it all points north, so didn't bother trying to factor anything else in.

Clotho
22nd July 2011, 09:35 AM
It has been a few months since I started this thread and I wanted to do an update. This graph includes data up to the end of June.

Daily revenue declined a little in April and started back upwards in May. I attribute this hiccup to the tsunami. Rolling blackouts etc. was bound to affect things. June took off and was yet another new record. July started off a little soft but has picked up considerably and is looking very good to match or beat June.

I see that others have started to report the same trend and in other languages as well. This is very exciting! :clap:

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/3900/averagedailyrevenue2.jpg

I have created a blank version of the XL file I use to plot this. 91
If anyone else is interested in plotting the trend for their own data you can just enter your monthly revenue and it will do the rest.