PDA

View Full Version : IDN Billioniare on the Horizen ?

thegenius1
16th May 2006, 01:27 AM
I was just wondering and thinking that if some of the Major players in the Ascii World make Millions of Dollars from good Generics , With People on this Forum that Have Several Hundred and Thousands of good Generic names , If They just decided to Sit back and Develop there Top 50 or 100 Domains what is the Possibilty of one of the Major IDN players Making a Billion Bucks From Web Development ? over the course of the Next 10 years

How many of the Idners will End up living In Dubais , Palm Island or The World ?

I think i should have Put a MAYBE option in the Poll: If you Vote Mabye Just post it in the Thread

gatorgrad
16th May 2006, 01:34 AM
if they do as you have described.... then it is possible. I think the big factor is time... 10 years is a bit questionable. beyond that if the big players hold on to their portfolio and develop sites then long term yes.

maybe not within 10years though.

touchring
16th May 2006, 02:22 AM
I do not think it's possible to make more than a few million dollars from IDNs, so a billionaire from IDNs is impossible.

I doubt even the biggest domain player, whether broker/parker (sedo, enom, etc), registrar (godaddy), collector (domain king, or whatever you call) is a one third a billionaire.

Maybe 20 or 30 years down the road, when the world's economy has changed completedly, such that online companies are bigger than brick and mortar companies, e.g. amazon bigger than walmart.

sarcle
16th May 2006, 02:32 AM
I don't think the question is who will make a billion from IDN alone. The question is who will be able to turn this traffic and money into an operation that sells legitimate goods and services. That I see as very plausable and very doable. I mean my god what I wouldn't give to have a top tier ascii to turn into something bigger. I have that with IDN. Question is who will make it happen?

Drewbert
16th May 2006, 02:42 AM
Is this a US billionaire or a real billionaire?

touchring
16th May 2006, 02:57 AM
It's the "IDN" billionaire. :p

Giant
16th May 2006, 04:10 AM
Which one is better?

You live happily with only 5 million dollars, or you keep working very hard and finally get a billion dollars 3 days before you die.

5 million dollars or one billion dollars is just a mathematic symbol, but how you live your live while you can still breathe is what you will bring with you to your eternal future.

Olney
16th May 2006, 04:13 AM
The top domains own I see this happening with is (mainly with development)
1. Anime.com (Anime site products & community)
2. Game related domains I own like pcgame, TV game etc.
3. Sale.com
4. Mansion.tv (perhaps a cellphone & PC compatible video view of apartments & condos)
5. Apartment.tv
6. Gravia Idol (tons of people like these bikini models)
7. Kyoto.com (general kyoto site)
8. Haken, & 2 other job related sites (probably just more valuable to sell these)
9. The hotel related domains I own like Hotel Search, Cheap Hotels, Online reservations, City+Tours..

These alone if developed or sold could be in the millions over time..

After getting into the $100,000 in money for development believe me I'm set for life with what I can develop for the Japanese market, but I'm not going to sell every good to get that....

touchring
16th May 2006, 04:20 AM
The guys that really make it big didn't create 10-20 projects, just one project, e.g. myspace.com.

It's not the quantity, but the quality.

rhys
16th May 2006, 04:25 AM
Five years from now the players with the biggest IDN domain portfolios will be MSN, Google, and Yahoo. They will also own the vast majority of significant natural traffic ASCII domains. The only thing which stops them now on ASCII is that the market is not consolidated enough, but that is happening rapidly. Basically, one could buy up most ASCII domains worth having for a billion or so, it's not a significant cost for the search engines for something that guarantees them market share.

thegenius1
16th May 2006, 04:26 AM
The guys that really make it big didn't create 10-20 projects, just one project, e.g. myspace.com.

It's not the quantity, but the quality.

You are correct but most people cant get there hands on more then a couple good quality domains , We are Domaining 2.0

touchring
16th May 2006, 05:40 AM
One of the reasons why i went into domaining (IDN is discovered by chance) was because i feel that the current keyword optimization and pagerank/links exchanged based SEO model can't sustain.

Everyone is making money out of SEO using Search engine arbitrage - getting pages to rank high on Google SERP, and then selling adsense.

However, it takes only 1 week for Google to change the rules completely once they dominate the market by controlling both traffic (google search engine) and advertisers (adword advertisers).

The irony is that most opponents of domain parking are actually playing the "Google SEO game", which in my opinion is not sustainable in the long term.

Why?

Google is a listed company, they are pressured by fund managers to keep up with their earning growth, one of the obvious areas is to take away profits from adsense sites benefiting from Google SEO.

Some of the ways they can do this:

1. If you use Yahoo ads, you get low ranks in Google SERP.
2. If you use Google ads, and the traffic comes from Google SERP, you get a penalty.
3. If you are a commercial company and you advertise in adword, you get a higher Google SERP - this puts "adsense sites" at a disadvantage.

Ultimately, an easy to remember domain with natural type-in is the long term solution. Google can control search engine traffic, but they can't control natural type-in

Proponents of website development may say, my forum or community has 10,000 members - but actually how many "old" members will click on the Adsense ads - i did 2 or 3 times on this forum - but by accident - want to click some button, but end up clicking on the ads. 90% of Adsense revenue from forums will come from Google searches directly or indirectly .... indirectly in the sense that the traffic from that originating website also came from Google .... the starting point being Google.

Think about it, once Google controls search engine traffic and adword advertisers - what's the result? We'll all becomes sheeps running about Google's sheep pens. The street smart sheeps will try and "do SEO". :)

Rubber Duck
16th May 2006, 10:52 AM
Is this a US billionaire or a real billionaire?

Well the way the dollar is going the former could be as early as next week!

bramiozo
16th May 2006, 11:32 AM
I see a lot of potential multi-millionaires, maybe over time people can sell their portfolio's for high $(x)x,xxx,xxx, to investment groups for instance.

Olney is working on end-development, who else, Giant, Dave ?

Rubber Duck
16th May 2006, 11:43 AM
I see a lot of potential multi-millionaires, maybe over time people can sell their portfolio's for high $(x)x,xxx,xxx, to investment groups for instance.

Olney is working on end-development, who else, Giant, Dave ?

I think there are people here with portofolios in this kind of range. I think I would be looking for $xx,xxx,xxx at the moment with potential for $xxx,xxx,xxx but I think a billion dollars at todays values is unrealistic for the foreseeable future.

A lot depends how motivated people are to develop sites and new business concepts. Personally, once I have more money than I need I will probably diversify into the traditional realestate market.

Explorer
16th May 2006, 12:24 PM
Well, a billion is nice round number, but I think the first real milestone would be when a fellow IDNer quits his day job because his IDN portfolio generates enough earnings.

IDNCowboy
16th May 2006, 12:54 PM
Well, a billion is nice round number, but I think the first real milestone would be when a fellow IDNer quits his day job because his IDN portfolio generates enough earnings.
I'm gonna buy a mansion with my millions and hold IDN conferences

bwhhisc
16th May 2006, 01:03 PM
5 million dollars or one billion dollars is just a mathematic symbol, but how you live your live while you can still breathe is what you will bring with you to your eternal future.

Read and heed! Good post Giant.

Rubber Duck
16th May 2006, 02:14 PM

Don't worry, we will be in business, just as soon as the natives figure out the difference between glass beads and gem stones.

touchring
29th May 2006, 01:52 PM

It depends where you live, if you live in a medium sized city in China, you can quit your day job with just $400+ a month in surplus PPC.

thefabfive
29th May 2006, 02:31 PM
Quitting the day job has been my sole motivation. At least in the beginning - now my addiction to IDNs has taken over.