PDA

View Full Version : The best way to sell a portfolio?

szlampy
17th July 2011, 03:09 PM
Hi,

I've got a bunch opf names for sale and I'm looking for some help and I was wondering if you could help... I've got a little bunch of .co domains that are due for renewal in a week or so. I've created an ebay listing for the complete portfolio along with reasons for sale, etc. Starting bid 99p - no reserve - not sure if that's the best way to do this - but it's done now anyhow.

I'm posting on forums messages like this, which gives me a bit of publicity but is there a better method?

Perhaps someone can offer any suggestions on how would I go about finding a list of people who may be interested in buying this portfolio? Is there a list of domainers who are looking to buy names? There's no reserve on the auction - in fact I'm just going to let them drop if no body see's any interest in them - but I'm hoping that maybe someone will see something in the list and pay a little back towards my original registrations fees and take them off my hands.

Any help or advice you can offer is really appreciated.

Kind regards, Keith

PS Here's the names:-

homephones.co
sdcard.co
loansdirect.co
pocketpc.co
companycar.co
vehicleparts.co
carsparts.co
photoframe.co
portabledvd.co
lowinterest.co
bluetoothheadset.co
breakfastandbed.co
broadbandwireless.co
budgetrentalcar.co
businessphone.co
educationalsoftware.co
emailsoftware.co
financesoftware.co
homemortgagerefinancing.co
housesflatsforrent.co
insurancecarquotes.co
insurancecost.co
lcdprojector.co
lcdtelevisions.co
lendersmortgage.co
loanmortgage.co
loansconsolidation.co
newcarsprices.co
printerinkcartridges.co
quotescarinsurance.co
refinancinghome.co
refinancingmortgage.co
smallbusinessserver.co
sprintphone.co
stereospeakers.co
storagecabinets.co
studentinsurance.co
securityjobs.co
engineeringjobs.co
mbauniversity.co
badcreditmortgage.co
studentcredit.co

PPS And here's the link to my auction: http://j.mp/nQy9tx

alpha
17th July 2011, 04:15 PM
do you think there is a future in .co ?

If I were you, I'd drop all the .co's and put your money in .mobi instead

szlampy
17th July 2011, 04:22 PM
Personally I think .co is a lot better than .mobi

IMHO mobi is limiting itself to a mobile market. I don't think of a n iPad as a mobile... I barely think of my android as a mobile anymore.

Mobi limits itself to a technology market - ask yourself how long is term mobile going to be around? ... would you buy CheapCDs.co.uk today? or CheapBluRay.co.uk

Whereas companies (.co) will almost certainly be around - at least whilst we live in a monetized society.

It sounds like you invested yourself in .mobi - I wish you the best of luck, but I don't think I'll be investing in that namespace - or in fact any namespace in future. Hence why I'm ridding myself of these domains.

szlampy
17th July 2011, 04:25 PM
Hmm.. what im trying to say is that in the future 'mobile' devices will be everywhere, so commonplace that refering to them as 'mobile' would seem strange like refering to a laptop as 'networkable' ... ie. we just assume it is...

plus 4 chars v 2 chars... u know who wins that battle.

IdnHost
17th July 2011, 04:44 PM
Imho i think you should drop all of these names. However, if you are a strong fan of .co and even a stronger believer that .co is going to bloom then perhaps you should keep a few top names from the list. Cheers.

szlampy
17th July 2011, 04:47 PM
I was thinking of dropping them all but if anyone was interested in them then I was open to offers...

What do you think are the best 5 names in that list?

Drewbert
17th July 2011, 06:06 PM
What do you think are the best 5 names in that list?

Whichever ones...

a) get traffic

b) get purchase enquiries.

I suspect the list will be short.

Don't believe the hype, it's a sequel.

IdnHost
17th July 2011, 07:04 PM
Agree with the comment above.

bwhhisc
17th July 2011, 07:20 PM
Any help or advice you can offer is really appreciated.

Since you are here....my advice would be to learn a bit about IDNs....and perhaps look at some investment in top generic and geographic city names in .com that will be valuable in the forseeable future. ;)

The vast opinion is that there are better investments not only in idn.com, but ascii.com's than putting much investment into .co or .mobi. Keep a small portfolio if you really think they will pan out, but not sure they will ever be worth 1/20th a .com.

Rubber Duck
17th July 2011, 08:24 PM
So sad.

Too bad!

szlampy
17th July 2011, 08:40 PM
Indeed indeed. Lesson learn't - thanks for all your advice.

(Still must be a few people interested in one or two of those names - the ebay auction has over a dozen watchers - wish me luck!)

Drewbert
18th July 2011, 04:50 AM
Are you fluent in Polish?

szlampy
18th July 2011, 07:10 AM
No, why do you ask?

Regards, Keith

bumblebee man
18th July 2011, 12:04 PM
The thread title is a bit misleading. You are obviously not looking for a way to sell your portfolio since you are already selling it on on Ebay.

Best place to promote your English .co porfolio sale and find potential buyers?

Definitely not here.

szlampy
18th July 2011, 12:26 PM
The thread title is a bit misleading. You are obviously not looking for a way to sell your portfolio since you are already selling it on on Ebay.

To be fair, I am looking for BETTER ways of doing it, hence why I am here. But your right yes I am already auctioning the names, but wondered if there's any better ways of doing this - simply because it all seems a bit basic and lame - and I thought someone must have come up with a better solution already.

The advice will not just be used for this auction, but I hope anything we discuss here could be used for other people considering this method, and also by myself in future auctions should I wish to go down this route again.

Drewbert
18th July 2011, 05:18 PM
No, why do you ask?

Regards, Keith

The surname suggested you MIGHT be, and fluency in a non-English language gives one a big advantage when it comes down to locating non-English domain names that are available to register - which is what this forum concentrates on.

szlampy
18th July 2011, 05:57 PM
Yeah... my great grandfather on my dad's side was a pole who stayed in the UK after fighting on the frontlines with the Allies against the Nazis.

Times like this I wish I was bi-lingual. :-)