PDA

View Full Version : Just received this email from Dopa.com

alpha
13th August 2011, 01:01 PM
Dear Members,

To further strengthen customer management and protect the interests of the advertisers, starting from July, we will carry on processing to cogged domain names, and 3 months' income will be deducted. To the behavior which contrary to policies , we will freeze account and this will be strictly enforced.

I haven't used Dopa in years, and I remember why, their communication was shocking.

bwhhisc
13th August 2011, 01:31 PM
I haven't used Dopa in years, and I remember why, their communication was shocking.

What exactly are they trying to say :eek:

bwhhisc
13th August 2011, 01:35 PM
perhaps their useage is defined by # 6 :p

I am trying to figure out what "cogged" means:

cog1    /kɒg, kɔg/ Show Spelled [kog, kawg] Show IPA noun, verb, cogged, cog·ging.
noun
1. (not in technical use) a gear tooth, formerly especially one of hardwood or metal, fitted into a slot in a gearwheel of less durable material.
2. a cogwheel.
3. a person who plays a minor part in a large organization, activity, etc.: He's just a small cog in the financial department.
verb (used without object)
4. (of an electric motor) to move jerkily.
verb (used with object)
5. to roll or hammer (an ingot) into a bloom or slab.
Idiom
6. slip a cog, to make a blunder; err: One of the clerks must have slipped a cog.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Origin:
1200–50; Middle English cogge, probably < Scandinavian; compare Swedish, Norwegian kugg cog cog2    /kɒg, kɔg/ Show Spelled [kog, kawg] Show IPA verb, cogged, cog·ging.
verb (used with object)
1. to manipulate or load (dice) unfairly.
verb (used without object)
2. to cheat, especially at dice.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Origin:
1525–35; origin uncertain
cog3    /kɒg, kɔg/ Show Spelled [kog, kawg] Show IPA noun, verb, cogged, cog·ging.
noun
1. Carpentry . (in a cogged joint) the tongue in one timber, fitting into a corresponding slot in another.
2. Mining . a cluster of timber supports for a roof. Compare chock ( def. 4 ) .
verb (used with object), verb (used without object)
3. Carpentry . to join with a cog.

Origin:
1855–60; special use of cog1 ; replacing cock in same sense, special use of cock1 (in sense of projection); see coak
Dictionary.com Unabridged
Based on the Random House Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2011.
Cite This Source | Link To cogged
Etymonline Word Origin & History

Cog
"tooth on a wheel," mid-13c., probably a borrowing from a Scandinavian language (cf. Norwegian kugg "cog").
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper

domainguru
13th August 2011, 02:14 PM
Sounds like a case of Lost in (Google) Translation.

Some people consider GT a good thing, I don't. Might as well get my 3-year old niece to translate stuff.

dnnames
13th August 2011, 02:20 PM
I never got an email back saying that I was accepted as a member but I got this email. How amusing.

blastfromthepast
13th August 2011, 03:36 PM
I never got an email back saying that I was accepted as a member but I got this email. How amusing.

Your membership application may have been cogged.

bwhhisc
13th August 2011, 06:33 PM
I would like to hope that "cogged" means "trademark and/or TM domains" but I guess that would be wishful thinking. :whistling:

Clotho
13th August 2011, 09:07 PM
Is there a parking service for Chinese domains that someone can recommend? Namedrive is blocked by the great firewall so it isn't an option.

thefabfive
13th August 2011, 09:15 PM
Is there a parking service for Chinese domains that someone can recommend? Namedrive is blocked by the great firewall so it isn't an option.

I'm not so sure about this anymore

http://berlin.jp/images/chinastats.jpg

alpha
14th August 2011, 09:50 AM
Recently I moved all my Chinese domains that I had parked at ND for years, that has never got any traffic, across to Bodis, and some of them get traffic now.

jose
14th August 2011, 03:27 PM
@thefabfive 5% of China's computers are not blocked.

@alpha The difference is worth the trouble?