PDA

View Full Version : The Internet Splits Up

drbiohealth
20th May 2006, 01:35 PM
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/12666393/site/newsweek/

blastfromthepast
20th May 2006, 01:47 PM
Who has rights to the Chinese-language version of .cn—China or Taiwan? Who gets first dibs on names in Farsi characters—the Iranians or the Afghans? Do Western companies that hold domain names in English automatically get the international rights, or should those go to local people?

While such questions might seem trivial, they are part of a larger shift that could have huge implications.

Kind of shows just how uninformed the reporter is. Who has the rights to the Chinese-language version of .cn? Who gets first dibs on Farsi domains?

The better question would have been, who got first dibs on Farsi domains. It wasn't the Western companies that this article worries so much about.

bwhhisc
20th May 2006, 02:03 PM
And not even a mention of what will rapidly globalize (and popularize) the internet even further, that being the ability to address URLS in international scripts.

thefabfive
20th May 2006, 02:12 PM
We should send an account of the erroneous information to the author and the editor.

Here's the email to the internataional edition editor: Editors@newsweek.com

blastfromthepast
20th May 2006, 02:14 PM
We should send an account of the erroneous information to the author and the editor.

Haven't found the place to send letters to the editor yet, though.

Newsweek International Editions

Letters to the Editor: Editors@newsweek.com

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/4925877/

bwhhisc
20th May 2006, 02:51 PM
Maybe a letter from IDNF will carry more weight, as a unified statement, than a couple of emails from various individuals approaching from different angles. I guess Olney should ok any text if agreed to be sent from IDNF if there is any interest in doing this at all. Newsweek gets huge readership, any story on idns would be great p.r.

blastfromthepast
20th May 2006, 03:23 PM
Maybe a letter from IDNF will carry more weight, as a unified statement, than a couple of emails from various individuals approaching from different angles. I guess Olney should ok any text if agreed to be sent from IDNF if there is any interest in doing this at all. Newsweek gets huge readership, any story on idns would be great p.r.

Is the PR necessary? The story is how a small group of dedicated domainers have registered 85% of all the good domains in all of the world's languages while Newsweek's editors were posing rhetorical questions of who should get the rights to Farsi domains as late as May, 2006.

thefabfive
20th May 2006, 03:30 PM
I was thinking of maybe a correction stating that these multilingual names have been available since 2000 and to suggest that the owner of computer.com should get 'computer.com' in every other language is ridiculous.

bwhhisc
20th May 2006, 04:06 PM
Is the PR necessary? The story is how a small group of dedicated domainers have registered 85% of all the good domains in all of the world's languages while Newsweek's editors were posing rhetorical questions of who should get the rights to Farsi domains as late as May, 2006.

I think the story that has not gotten out is that the "parts and pieces" for IDN's coming into mainstream use are finally moving into place. I would also guss the number of people owning good idns would have to be number closer to the 1000 mark (just my guess) based on our looking at hundreds, if not thousands of whois over the last 6 months.

The mainstream use of idns will quite possibly take off by the simple laws of supply and demand. The biggest problem as I see it is lack of information about idns in general. I mean even a good 25% of domainers (based on poll from another forum) indicated they didn't even know what an idn was.

IDNCowboy
20th May 2006, 04:12 PM
This article was alot of gibberish.

The mainstream use of idns will quite possibly take off by the simple laws of supply and demand. The biggest problem as I see it is lack of information about idns in general. I mean even a good 25% of domainers (based on poll from another forum) indicated they didn't even know what an idn was.
Good more domains for us...
They can go invest in .usa ;)

touchring
20th May 2006, 04:18 PM
Better if the general public doesn't know, i'm still busy registering. :p

idnowner
20th May 2006, 04:32 PM
-=DCG=- may be the best person to set the record straight.

bwhhisc
20th May 2006, 04:34 PM
Better if the general public doesn't know, i'm still busy registering. :p

Do let us know when you are done! lol

blastfromthepast
20th May 2006, 04:40 PM
Shhhh! Why would anyone want to spoil the game early when it is going to be spoiled by itself in the long run anyways?

bwhhisc
20th May 2006, 04:51 PM
Shhhh! Why would anyone want to spoil the game early when it is going to be spoiled by itself in the long run anyways?

It's called reg fees...and unless traffic picks up and revenue streams start, or demand for buying domains take off it will be a challenge for many. Even when things start to get moving...its still going to take some time before the "suggested by some" vertical take off happens.