PDA

View Full Version : The Power symbol.

Rossin
18th October 2011, 09:56 PM
Hi there!

I´d like to know your feelings about this "power symbol" domain. :rolleyes:

ꄍ.com (xn--lt7a.com)

It is an Yi letter, but it is similar to the universal symbol we use to see in power buttons (actually, this symbol means "standby", IEC 5009).

It is also a popular icon among technology enthusiasts (geeks :cool:), as you know.

Maybe it is one of the most known universal symbols. Sure the Yi letter is older than the symbol.

It´s only a novelty IDN domain, but when I saw it I thought about an URL shortener ou even an email provider.

Any comments?

blastfromthepast
18th October 2011, 10:01 PM
I don't have any feelings about the power symbol, but if some computer enthusiasts do, then you have a market.

Rossin
18th October 2011, 10:13 PM
I don't have any feelings about the power symbol, but if some computer enthusiasts do, then you have a market.

I´d like to know your feelings about the "power button domain", not the power button itself! :lol:

Just kidding, thank you for your comment.

blastfromthepast
18th October 2011, 11:07 PM
The search for good looking characters from other character sets which are not symbols themselves continues.

Check out Aegean and Linear B ideograms. A lot of good stuff there.

clipper
19th October 2011, 05:00 AM
It´s only a novelty IDN domain, but when I saw it I thought about an URL shortener ou even an email provider.

Here's the rub: how does one type it? How does one say it without also inadvertently advertising powersymbol.com?

Geeks are also pretty anal about particulars, such as the oval shape as opposed to the circular power symbol.

But if you're resourceful and persistent, you may be able to overcome these shortcomings. Good luck.

htmlindex
19th October 2011, 08:13 AM
I´d like to know your feelings about the "power button domain", not the power button itself! :lol:

I've got no feelings about either of the two...

Rossin
19th October 2011, 01:57 PM
Here's the rub: how does one type it? How does one say it without also inadvertently advertising powersymbol.com?

Geeks are also pretty anal about particulars, such as the oval shape as opposed to the circular power symbol.

But if you're resourceful and persistent, you may be able to overcome these shortcomings. Good luck.

That´s why I thought about a "geek URL shortener". We don´t need to type it. Just copy-paste. To reach it, people could bookmark it AFTER see it anywhere (twitter, facebook, or other websites). Not impossible.

Just an idea, I like this kind of novelty domains. That´s it: a novelty name.

Thank you for your comments! :)

Rossin
19th October 2011, 01:58 PM
I've got no feelings about either of the two...

YOU ARE an insensitive! :p

Rossin
19th October 2011, 02:22 PM
The search for good looking characters from other character sets which are not symbols themselves continues.

Thank you for the tip, BlastFromThePast!

But I have enough of this!! :lol:

Actually I am collecting them (some people collect stamps!):

Some of my favorites:

ꐚ.com ꁘ.com ꊱ.com ꍘ.com ꑕ.com

But sure I like money too, so if other crazy collector wants to buy one of them :o, maybe I sell.

Regards.

blastfromthepast
19th October 2011, 03:16 PM
I've sold a few runes from the runic range on this forum a while ago.

blastfromthepast
19th October 2011, 10:13 PM
Eventually all single charcters will be taken.

Rossin
12th November 2011, 02:19 PM

About the oval shape issue: on Twitter it seems pretty circular (see pic).
My first idea is to make a "geek url shortener".

http://ꄍ.com/power.jpg

Rossin
12th November 2011, 02:32 PM

Are you able to see linear B ideograms or Aegean characters on your computer screen? Don´t think so. All my symbols are visible.

blastfromthepast
13th November 2011, 02:23 AM
Are you able to see linear B ideograms or Aegean characters on your computer screen? Don´t think so. All my symbols are visible.

Yes. A lot of Aegean is in the Apple Symbols font which is installed by default on Macs.

Linear B needs a font install (maybe not on new Macs).

Rossin
13th November 2011, 12:49 PM
Yes. A lot of Aegean is in the Apple Symbols font which is installed by default on Macs.

Linear B needs a font install (maybe not on new Macs).

Nice! Didn´t know that.
But I´m not going to register any of them... although I saw a beautiful horse there... :lol: