PDA

View Full Version : Parking Revenue

Steve Clarke
15th November 2011, 06:20 PM
My Bodis revenue has tailed off significantly in the last month and a half, particularly this month.
Anyone else seeing this disturbing trend?

celia
14th May 2012, 09:49 PM
I've heard of that domain rev can get advanced through arbitrage. Wonder whether u've given it a try or not, and how does it work?

Rubber Duck
14th May 2012, 10:06 PM
My Bodis revenue has tailed off significantly in the last month and a half, particularly this month.
Anyone else seeing this disturbing trend?

Tailed off sounds better than total sudden and unexplained collapse which is the case at Namedrive.

I was already pissed off with unflagged deductions due to non payment by advertisers. In other words Namedrive has been guilty of simply giving my traffic away without even informing me.

Steve Clarke
14th May 2012, 10:18 PM
ParkingCrew has been great for my Japanese...but not much else.
I ended up redirecting most other languages to my sales site, rather than collect pennies.
Were definitely getting the short end of the stick.

Rubber Duck
14th May 2012, 10:25 PM
Yes, it makes sense not to give it to an advertising monopoly.

Not sure domain sales is going to have much impact, but if this goes on I would rather decide who I give the traffic to rather than simply have it stolen.

Perhaps just the best idea would be to point it at potential competitors to Google or just good causes.

gammascalper
15th May 2012, 12:24 AM
After several days experimenting with Bodis, I found that my Japanese names, many of which were getting $1+ clicks at ND, were all receiving $0.14

The names that performed well for me at Bodis were latin idn.

I think someone once mentioned that parking companies receive a lump sum from the upstream provider and it's up to them to apportion the clicks.

So, my Japanese names are going back to ND.

Parkingcrew requires me to submit 5 names for review before they decide whether I'm worthy, so I won't be using them.

jose
15th May 2012, 12:27 AM
ND back to normal here.

Rubber Duck
15th May 2012, 05:06 AM
ND back to normal here.

Well, I am getting about a tenth of the usual conversion.

Being single out for such abuse frankly makes me feel even less confident in ND.

Clotho
15th May 2012, 06:53 AM
Well, I am getting about a tenth of the usual conversion.

Being single out for such abuse frankly makes me feel even less confident in ND.

You aren't the only one.

markits
15th May 2012, 07:27 AM
RD, I was getting about a tenth of the usual conversion too for about 3 days but now it seems all ok.

It seems that ND is the best for Russian traffic.

Rubber Duck
15th May 2012, 08:17 AM
A week and counting here.

Its not like I do dodgy shit with my domains. I just park them.

If everything is screwed up, it is because ND have screwed it up.

Clotho
15th May 2012, 09:17 AM
A week and counting here.

Its not like I do dodgy shit with my domains. I just park them.

If everything is screwed up, it is because ND have screwed it up.

Did you send them an email? They claim it is their ad provider.

Irregardless, their communication on the matter has been abysmal.

NameDriven
15th May 2012, 09:25 AM
Hello Rubber Duck,

We tried to contact you yesterday but our email bounced back.
Just sent you a PM regarding that issue.

Best Regards

Ryu
15th May 2012, 01:19 PM
My earning at ParkingCrew seems to have gone down a bit as well recently. (Or, more precisely, it hasn't gone up as expected despite adding more quality names). However, the reduction in income is nothing like one tenth of what it was before.

Perhaps there has been some problems with IDNs on 1-click landers. I believe most of my income from ParkingCrew comes from 2-click landers (adsense for search network). As far as I understand, NameDrive uses only adsense for content network.

Ryu
15th May 2012, 01:45 PM
Parkingcrew requires me to submit 5 names for review before they decide whether I'm worthy, so I won't be using them.

If you PM the user "ParkingCrew" here, I bet they'll sign you up right away.

Rubber Duck
15th May 2012, 04:38 PM
Hello Rubber Duck,

We tried to contact you yesterday but our email bounced back.
Just sent you a PM regarding that issue.

Best Regards

I have got the message now, but fail to understand why such unilateral action has been taken against without even the courtesy of notification. Even in most despotic dictatorships they notify you of the charges against you. My crime it seems is parking with Namedrive, who use an upstream provider that Google object to.

chrisofmel
15th May 2012, 05:32 PM
ND back to normal here.

yes looks so, i had a 3 day drop but it looks back to normal now

bwhhisc
16th May 2012, 12:09 AM
My Russian names are at Bodis, revenue is up 35% in May over the average for March and April due to 2 cent improvement in average click and 15% higher click rate.

NameDriven
16th May 2012, 09:51 AM
My earning at ParkingCrew seems to have gone down a bit as well recently. (Or, more precisely, it hasn't gone up as expected despite adding more quality names). However, the reduction in income is nothing like one tenth of what it was before.

Perhaps there has been some problems with IDNs on 1-click landers. I believe most of my income from ParkingCrew comes from 2-click landers (adsense for search network). As far as I understand, NameDrive uses only adsense for content network.

Name Drive uses AFD and AFS network and 1-click and 2-click landers as well. We do not use the AdSense for content network since it can not be used for parked domains.

I have got the message now, but fail to understand why such unilateral action has been taken against without even the courtesy of notification. Even in most despotic dictatorships they notify you of the charges against you. My crime it seems is parking with Namedrive, who use an upstream provider that Google object to.

Sorry again for the hassle. As I already wrote you via PN the decision to fail list your domains was not made by NameDrive but Google. This would have happened with all parking companies using Google as their ad provider.

Rubber Duck
16th May 2012, 10:46 AM
Sorry again for the hassle. As I already wrote you via PN the decision to fail list your domains was not made by NameDrive but Google. This would have happened with all parking companies using Google as their ad provider.

Not entirely convinced as CTR at Bodis better than Namedrive.

Oddly Japanese IDN seem to be less affected, than Arabic and Russian. Reason for this is unclear.

But you can tell Google that I will not be directing traffic to them if I am not getting paid for it. Their parking business is a clear competitive advantage which is now being offset by Microsoft abusing their position with OS installations. I reset my works explorer from Bing to Google this week, what a balls ache. This is clearly why they are losing market share in the US and the same will happen elsewhere.

If disgruntled IDN owners start redirecting their exploding type-in to Bing as well then life could get tough for Google. We don't want a war but we do want a fair deal, and ultimately we could go after them in the courts.

Ryu
16th May 2012, 11:53 AM
Name Drive uses AFD and AFS network and 1-click and 2-click landers as well. We do not use the AdSense for content network since it can not be used for parked domains.

OK, I mixed up AFD and the adsense for content network. Didn't know you use AFS at all. That's news to me. I haven't checked recently but I always thought your 2-click/search ads were too untargeted for them to be AFS ads.

Fail list? Are you saying Google smart-priced a vast number of IDNs? What about people saying earning has come back to the normal level. At least to some (including me with a tiny bit of IDNs left at Namedrive/Wixi), it appears the reduction in income was mainly the thing that took place for a couple days only.

NameDriven
16th May 2012, 12:30 PM
OK, I mixed up AFD and the adsense for content network. Didn't know you use AFS at all. That's news to me. I haven't checked recently but I always thought your 2-click/search ads were too untargeted for them to be AFS ads.

Fail list? Are you saying Google smart-priced a vast number of IDNs? What about people saying earning has come back to the normal level. At least to some (including me with a tiny bit of IDNs left at Namedrive/Wixi), it appears the reduction in income was mainly the thing that took place for a couple days only.

They decide not to provide ads for domains they claim to receive unnatural traffic. Therefore the CTR drops even though the traffic might stay stable.
Unfortunately the do not provide us with information about what they see as against their TOS in specific cases.

A drop of PPC can have several reasons and may occur occationally.

In your NameDrive account under virtual folders you can find a folder called "blocked Domains". There you can find a list of all blocked domains listed in your NameDrive account.

squirrel
16th May 2012, 12:36 PM
can we submit a request to unblock a domain ?

Drewbert
16th May 2012, 10:39 PM
Unfortunately the do not provide us with information about what they see as against their TOS in specific cases.

Ah, the old "We at Google believe our clients possess psychic powers" line.

That's what caused me to tell them to GFY with adsense years ago. They put my account on hold due to an alleged ToS violation but would say exactly what the violation was. I told them I had changed nothing since the last account review where I hold 2 thumbs up, so unless they told me specifically what the problem was, I couldn't make any changes.

I suspect it was something to do with the adsense cell blending in too well with the rest of the page, which is ironically what they do now with their paid adverts on google search pages anyway. Fuckers.

chrisofmel
16th May 2012, 11:10 PM
They decide not to provide ads for domains they claim to receive unnatural traffic. Therefore the CTR drops even though the traffic might stay stable.

In your NameDrive account under virtual folders you can find a folder called "blocked Domains". There you can find a list of all blocked domains listed in your NameDrive account.

ok got it, thats explains why i have a small group that have traffic but never any clicks. is there a time frame where you can summit these names again to be unblocked?

Clotho
17th May 2012, 02:48 AM

They have essentially blocked everything worthwhile. Even single letter generic .coms are blocked. It doesn't get any more generic than that. I have always played by the rules. No trademarks, No clicking on ads, etc. So WTF is going on?

What are you doing about this?

alpha
17th May 2012, 06:51 AM
I've just noticed 20% of my domains are in this hidden away "blocked domains" folder.
It begs the question how long they have been there, and why I wasn't informed they got blocked.

edit: I suppose at least ND halfheartedly notify you that your domains are blocked. The other parking providers seem to just not show an ad, and leave you to figure out WTF happened.

alpha
17th May 2012, 07:02 AM
After a closer look...

So here's an example of a Russian domain: [removed]

just found out it is on the blocked list at ND
and the other day, I just happen to have moved it to ParkingCrew

check out the lander, it's empty, nada. Clearly the block is taking place at G's end not the parking provider.

So the $64,000 question is, are there any parking providers out there that do not use a Google feed, so that I can park my generic domain ?

Rubber Duck
17th May 2012, 08:10 AM
My guess is they have just hired some Guru (read fuckwit) that doesn't know what IDNs are.

alpha
17th May 2012, 08:12 AM
wow something happened around the 8th / 9th May, Google declared war on IDNs

over 40% of my Russian and Arabic portfolio are blocked
less than 1% of my Japanese portfolio are blocked

my highest earners in Arabic & Russian & as it happens my highest earner in Japanese are all showing no ads now and on the ND block list.

fuck you google.

Rubber Duck
17th May 2012, 08:13 AM
Perhaps they simply have no experience of type in traffic growing this fast.

If one day a dot com is getting nothing then it is getting huge type in, then it has to be fraud, right?

Another one of their infalible algorithyms.

alpha
17th May 2012, 08:16 AM
So the $64,000 question is, are there any parking providers out there that do not use a Google feed, so that I can park my generic domain ?

this above is the question we need an answer to.
Also, is it true that Bodis have a secondary feed (not Google)?

gammascalper
17th May 2012, 08:16 AM
If you PM the user "ParkingCrew" here, I bet they'll sign you up right away.

Thanks Ryu. I PMd them this morning.

DktoInc
17th May 2012, 08:26 AM
my ascii names are blocked, :eek:

gammascalper
17th May 2012, 08:37 AM
my ascii names are blocked, :eek:

That is a bit strange -- I thought Google had determined that type-in traffic was of higher quality than other types of traffic. After shutting down AFD, and now all the blocks on feeds to many domains, it seems like they've reconsidered.

DktoInc
17th May 2012, 08:43 AM
That is a bit strange -- I thought Google had determined that type-in traffic was of higher quality than other types of traffic. After shutting down AFD, and now all the blocks on feeds to many domains, it seems like they've reconsidered.

I am not sure this has to do with google or traffic. couple of names were not getting any traffic.

idn cctlds seem to be ok for now.

NameDriven
17th May 2012, 09:29 AM
Hi all,

Feel free to send me a list with your blocked generic names which are parked with NameDrive at support@namedrive.de. Please include both your user name here and NameDrive log. It would be much appreciated if you could include the English translation of the domains.
As already mentioned we are constantly trying to get these kind of domains unblocked. However it is very difficult to convince them that they made a mistake.

@ Clotho and Rubber Duck your blocked names already got sent out for a review and I will keep you updated!

We are also working on alternative monetization solutions for domains blocked by Google and will keep you informed.

Best Regards,
Indra

alpha
17th May 2012, 11:18 AM
As already mentioned we are constantly trying to get these kind of domains unblocked. However it is very difficult to convince them that they made a mistake.

Have you ever managed to get a domain unblocked?

Assuming the process is the same that I followed when I had a bunch of generics blocked under the old AFD platform, I submitted them for appeal and still heard nothing after 9 months.

Our Google API got yanked from IDNtools, and that's been what, 6 months now waiting for an appeal. It's BS

idn
17th May 2012, 12:25 PM
We now know why G ended AFD.

NameDriven
17th May 2012, 12:45 PM
Have you ever managed to get a domain unblocked?

Assuming the process is the same that I followed when I had a bunch of generics blocked under the old AFD platform, I submitted them for appeal and still heard nothing after 9 months.

Our Google API got yanked from IDNtools, and that's been what, 6 months now waiting for an appeal. It's BS

They used to unblock domains occasionally in the past. Lately it seems to be more difficult to get it done. But we keep trying.

Avtal
17th May 2012, 12:59 PM

Maybe you can get Google's attention by posting on their Facebook page.

Avtal

alpha
17th May 2012, 01:39 PM
Maybe you can get Google's attention by posting on their Facebook page.

Avtal

I only come here for the cutting humour, and today has been no exception.

Ryu
17th May 2012, 04:37 PM
I suppose at least ND halfheartedly notify you that your domains are blocked. The other parking providers seem to just not show an ad, and leave you to figure out WTF happened.

ParkingCrew also has a specific folder that shows domain names that have been blocked by Google.

are there any parking providers out there that do not use a Google feed, so that I can park my generic domain ?

I heard many times that TrafficZ uses Bing/Yahoo feeds, but other companies that used to use Bing/Yahoo feeds have recently switched to Google feeds, so TrafficZ may have as well. I also don't know if TrafficZ is IDN compatible.

Also, is it true that Bodis have a secondary feed (not Google)?

Bodis, ParkingCrew, Voodoo, etc have secondary feeds. Also, Bodis, ParkingCrew, Sedo, etc use so called zero click or direct transfer of traffic to advertisers. But as far as I understand, they (both secondary feeds as well as zero click) are only available to traffic from the limited number of countries/languages, so not many IDNers can probably make use of them. Someone please correct me if I got the wrong information.

alpha
17th May 2012, 05:47 PM
very useful, thanks Ryu.

Drewbert
18th May 2012, 12:22 AM

Holy crap! 52 domains blocked.

Ha ha ha. Those morons blocked cyrillic ввс.com ([vvs].com) and even single char cyrillics.

They're like the antithesis of SEDO. SEDO can't see anything wrong in mixed cyrillic/ascii typo domains, whereas Google thinks ANYTHING cyrillic is bad.

[victor].com [design].com jeez google, you really are a bunch of wankers.

Drewbert
18th May 2012, 12:25 AM
We are also working on alternative monetization solutions for domains blocked by Google and will keep you informed.

Dude. Get ND hooked into Yandex's PPC system and we will have your babies for you.

http://www.russiansearchtips.com/category/russian-ppc/

Rubber Duck
18th May 2012, 06:41 AM
Dude. Get ND hooked into Yandex's PPC system and we will have your babies for you.

Put me down for triplets!

Jay
18th May 2012, 11:18 AM
Okay, this is getting weird.

mulligan
18th May 2012, 07:48 PM
Quads for me .. (ouch) :)

Clotho
18th May 2012, 11:32 PM
I would be more interested in a Japanese Yahoo feed but I think they may be partnered with Google so sadly that may not be possible. :(