PDA

View Full Version : Chinese .com-in-IDN Question

welkin
20th November 2011, 05:00 PM
Hi,

Sorry for my ignorance--has Verisign decided on a Chinese .com equivalent to apply for, yet? If not, does anyone know who at Verisign is tasked with the determination?

Thanks.

20th November 2011, 05:06 PM
If verisign decided i don't think anyone outside the company would know about it until ICANN publishes the requested strings around 5 months from now (Anytime from April 12 to May 1).

JamesZ
21st November 2011, 12:53 AM
Some officials from VeriSign have said that they will apply for the transliteration version of .com. For Chinese, that is 康姆.

alpha
21st November 2011, 05:01 AM
Some officials from VeriSign have said that they will apply for the transliteration version of .com. For Chinese, that is 康姆.

where did you hear that?
I thought it was Gongsi: 公司

bumblebee man
21st November 2011, 11:26 AM
where did you hear that?
I thought it was Gongsi: 公司

公司 is the translation of "company" and Verisign will NOT apply for it.

Verisign does not operate “.company” in ASCII text, and it is not likely that we’d seek it in other scripts. Our primary interest would be in a Chinese transliteration of the three-letter extension “.com,” not the word company.

http://www.idnforums.com/forums/28524-verisigns-director-pat-kane-on-chinese-other-languages-plans.html

blastfromthepast
21st November 2011, 03:16 PM
This is bad news for .com

bumblebee man
21st November 2011, 06:23 PM
This is bad news for .com

Bad news for Chinese.com.

squirrel
21st November 2011, 06:47 PM
James, unless you find that file you referred to in the other thread, I would have to think that 康姆 is just, at best, a proposition and by no mean is definitive

welkin
23rd November 2011, 04:37 AM
Thanks.

I remember talking to some Chinese students about it once and they didn't associate .com with anything particular in Chinese. I don't know, maybe what's most important is that whatever Verisign chooses isn't ugly/offensive in some way and is commonly understood to be the official .com variant, and that it's activated before .cn as .中国 gets widespread use.