PDA

View Full Version : korean idn's

chrisofmel
29th November 2011, 06:00 PM
i would like to see any opinion's on korean idn's. i know they don't receive much traffic but would like to see members long term view on them. you see alot of talk and sales threads about japanese, russian, and arabic. some chinese and hebrew, never anything about korean. thanks

tee1
29th November 2011, 06:07 PM
I got burned several years ago with a bad punycode converter and didn't register very many names. I have picked up a few here and there but nothing substantial. Jose had a link to a graph that showed google had something like a 10% penetration rate in Korea, naver dominates. I think that probably hurts the ppc IMO. My impression is that co.kr/com dominate, hence the low price on my .org sales thread :)

squirrel
29th November 2011, 06:10 PM
Do a search for posts by hanidn, that's the best I can suggest

squirrel
29th November 2011, 06:17 PM
Or PM him perhaps

alpha
29th November 2011, 07:05 PM
from what I understood, their ccTLD is much preferred over the .com, and their ccTLD allows IDN; but take that with a pinch of salt

idn
29th November 2011, 07:38 PM
from what I understood, their ccTLD is much preferred over the .com, and their ccTLD allows IDN; but take that with a pinch of salt

I actually thought the .com is really popular in South Korea

squirrel
29th November 2011, 07:50 PM
I read the the ccTLD was crap because they won't give IDN.ccTLD owners priority over IDN.ccTLDinIDN

bumblebee man
29th November 2011, 08:57 PM
i would like to see any opinion's on korean idn's. i know they don't receive much traffic but would like to see members long term view on them.

Compared to other languages there's a good number of Korean natives in the game (not so much in this forum unfortunately). Some names have fetched good prices. (http://www.idnforums.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-11190.html). South Korea is a prospering country. Nuff said.

Stat wise they are shit. But that's a good reason not to worry about stats too much.

blastfromthepast
29th November 2011, 09:38 PM
The problem with Korean IDNs is that Korean internet is heavily censored. Unless your site uses the "national ID" to verify users' identity, it risks being shutdown by the Korean firewall.

idn
29th November 2011, 09:43 PM
The problem with Korean IDNs is that Korean internet is heavily censored. Unless your site uses the "national ID" to verify users' identity, it risks being shutdown by the Korean firewall.

Tell me about it. I have been searching for a native to help with development for some time now.

blastfromthepast
29th November 2011, 10:05 PM
North Korea solved the problem by making the internet illegal.

DktoInc
29th November 2011, 10:18 PM
North Korea solved the problem by making the internet illegal.

The Chinese black market must be thriving just like their economy.

bwhhisc
29th November 2011, 11:14 PM
i would like to see any opinion's on korean idn's. i know they don't receive much traffic but would like to see members long term view on them. you see alot of talk and sales threads about japanese, russian, and arabic. some chinese and hebrew, never anything about korean. thanks

Seems to me when i starting looking at IDNs in 2005 Korean domains were among the more heavily registered, including .nets. A lot of local registrations as well, more perhaps than other languages. I agree the cctld seems to be more popular, but were not even in the first inning and Verisign will soon be coming up to bat. ;)

squirrel
29th November 2011, 11:33 PM
I like the analogy Bill