PDA

View Full Version : Alternate root .ком no more

14th December 2011, 06:44 PM
Based on this http://www.webnames.ru/scripts/news.pl?news_id=903 from Webnames.ru, They made a mutual decision with ICANN to stop selling these alternate root 'names' they used to offer under ком нет and орг. They also claim they are talking with interested parties about a mutual application for those (they're claiming they got a TM for ком нет орг).

They plan to apply for .рус as previously reported here: http://www.idnforums.com/forums/29748-%D1%80%D1%83%D1%81.html

squirrel
14th December 2011, 06:52 PM
Do they have money ? Can they possibly push .ком to auction ?

14th December 2011, 06:54 PM
Not sure how money will help here if only verisign registrants can get the localized .ком? a generic TLD like .телефон (.Telephone) may end up in Auction but i don't know if anything which is confusing with an existing gTLD has a way to go to auction.

squirrel
14th December 2011, 07:02 PM
Haven'T read the DAG in a while. I know Verisign can object to an application that is confusing with .com but I don't remember what happens if both Verisign and third party apply for the same string.

Also, I read the translated press release and, to answer my own question, they sound broke, claiming IP rights and looking for any kind of partners - perhaps even just looking to get bought out by Verisign, PIR.

14th December 2011, 07:06 PM
I think they understood they have to quit offering those misleading alternate strings if they want a chance in future new gTLD's such as .рус

squirrel
14th December 2011, 07:39 PM
I think they understood they have to quit offering those misleading alternate strings if they want a chance in future new gTLD's such as .рус

Very true.

Section 2.2.1.1.3 of the DAG

An application that passes the String Similarity review is still
subject to objection by an existing TLD operator or by
another gTLD applicant in the current application round.
That process requires that a string confusion objection be
filed by an objector having the standing to make such an
objection. Such category of objection is not limited to
visual similarity. Rather, confusion based on any type of
similarity (including visual, aural, or similarity of meaning)
may be claimed by an objector. Refer to Module 3,
Dispute Resolution Procedures, for more information about
the objection process.

An applicant may file a formal objection against another
gTLD application on string confusion grounds. Such an
objection may, if successful, change the configuration of
the preliminary contention sets in that the two applied-for
gTLD strings will be considered in direct contention with one
another (see Module 4, String Contention Procedures). The
objection process will not result in removal of an
application from a contention set.

and section 3.2.2.1

In the case where an existing TLD operator successfully
asserts string confusion with an applicant, the application
will be rejected.

In the case where a gTLD applicant successfully asserts
string confusion with another applicant, the only possible
outcome is for both applicants to be placed in a
contention set and to be referred to a contention
resolution procedure (refer to Module 4, String Contention
Procedures). If an objection by one gTLD applicant to
another gTLD application is unsuccessful, the applicants
may both move forward in the process without being
considered in direct contention with one another.

Verisign can object anyone, whether they're themselves applicant for the exact same string or not.

If the objection is successful, both applicants are put in a contention set, which means, essentially, that they are going to auction, am I right ?

squirrel
14th December 2011, 07:57 PM
Forget everything in my prior post,

Verisign just has to file objections as an existing gTLD registry and not as an applicant.

14th December 2011, 08:07 PM
An application that passes the String Similarity review is still
subject to objection by an existing TLD operator or by
another gTLD applicant in the current application round.
I think this can not happen as anything similar and from some aspects (e.g aural) .ком is not similar but identical to .com and won't ever reach contention situation.

Module 2:

Similarity to Existing TLDs or Reserved Names – This review
involves cross-checking between each applied-for string
and the lists of existing TLD strings and Reserved Names to
determine whether two strings are so similar to one another
that they create a probability of user confusion.
In the simple case in which an applied-for gTLD string is
identical to an existing TLD or reserved name, the online
application system will not allow the application to be
submitted.

Drewbert
14th December 2011, 08:30 PM

Sounds like they've suspended sales but the alt root is still operating.

I wonder how their current registrants will react when the real .ком .нет and .орг appear in the ICANN root, and their traffic suddenly goes to someone else? Awkward.

I also wonder just how many people have registered domains there and have real live websites visited by people in Russia? Do they ever get mentioned on any russian domain forums?

14th December 2011, 08:36 PM
Any mentions i saw in the last 2 years are negative and warn others to stay away.

bumblebee man
14th December 2011, 10:58 PM
I wonder how their current registrants will react when the real .ком .нет and .орг appear in the ICANN root, and their traffic suddenly goes to someone else? Awkward.

Which traffic?

Drewbert
15th December 2011, 09:58 AM
Well, if they've convinced any Russian ISP's to add the alt roots to their DNS, or have managed to get the idns windoze plug-in piggy-backed on a popular download, there could be lots of people in Russia actually being delivered to "real" websites when typing in *. ком

15th December 2011, 10:28 AM
Well, if they've convinced any Russian ISP's to add the alt roots to their DNS, or have managed to get the idns windoze plug-in piggy-backed on a popular download, there could be lots of people in Russia actually being delivered to "real" websites when typing in *. ком
Like what domainthenet did with 3 of Israel's ISP's. One of they're partners even had a TV commercial using the alternate root 'name' and it ran for no more then 48 hours obviously because many complained they couldn't get to the site.

Uncertainty and confusion exist and are big when it comes to domains but looking at the situation 5 years ago and today it is a different world and when we get .קום any still confusion will end.