PDA

View Full Version : The new gTLD program opens in 24 hours

10th January 2012, 11:01 PM
00:01 UTC Time.

From what i see this is a big step forward as even if any part of the new gTLD program will later be delayed or removed it will be TLD's categories that have nothing in common with existing generic IDN gTLD's.

Next step is on May 1 when ICANN publishes the applied for strings.

11th January 2012, 12:10 PM
- ICANN's panel of experts here in appr. 35 minutes: http://fora.tv/live/icann/icann_next_big_thing?icn=live-alert&ici=icann-gtlds

- A Live twitter chat planned for 5pm Eastern time.

Avtal
11th January 2012, 01:15 PM
I hope Verisign will soon announce the strings they have applied for, instead of waiting for ICANN's announcement on May 1. I think we are all curious to see what they have chosen for the Chinese version of .com.

Avtal

Steve Clarke
11th January 2012, 02:12 PM
Verisign should make a substancial news release, ASAP, concerning their position, and a professionally produced video on the advantages of IDN.com/net ( like the one the .ws registry came up with), is in order.

11th January 2012, 11:01 PM
http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/35ozgr/

sbe18
12th January 2012, 02:47 AM
It should be interesting by May to see if CNNIC or a ministry will apply for completely new gtld's to manage.
dot mil or military in full
dot gov or government
dot edu or education

then they can have fun defending denial of service attacks from Taiwan as they try to wall them off as separate roots ....
then we can go through the alternative root fandango all over again...

Avtal
12th January 2012, 03:19 AM
It should be interesting by May to see if CNNIC or a ministry will apply for completely new gtld's to manage.
dot mil or military in full
dot gov or government
dot edu or education

then they can have fun defending denial of service attacks from Taiwan as they try to wall them off as separate roots ....
then we can go through the alternative root fandango all over again...

Hey, that's an interesting thought! What if Taiwan and PRC get into a bidding war for ".government" in Chinese?

Avtal

Steve Clarke
12th January 2012, 01:10 PM
I typed idn into Google, out of curiosity.

Verisign had an entry.....ON THE 6TH PAGE!

Enough said.

Let's see if they can improve that ranking.