PDA

View Full Version : Germany wants Greece to give up budget control

squirrel
28th January 2012, 03:53 AM
Had to share this:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/27/us-eurozone-greece-germany-idUSTRE80Q1ZF20120127

yanni
28th January 2012, 04:01 AM
As long as they don't want us to give up control of our idns...

Greek politicians are worthless puppets going back a few generations. They'll do it.

Avtal
28th January 2012, 04:06 AM
I wonder if the Germans would be willing to take over control of the US budget as well. We could use some help.

Avtal

Rubber Duck
28th January 2012, 05:25 AM
I wonder if the Germans would be willing to take over control of the US budget as well. We could use some help.

Avtal

I am not sure even they could do much with the US. Coercing spendthrift nations into balancing the books is a hard act. In the case of the US, it would be more less impossible. Even Newt Genrich would have to give up his bases on the moon. Most of Obama, and even Bushes legislation would have to be scrapped. And of course you would have to give up the Dollar.

bumblebee man
28th January 2012, 09:45 AM
As long as they don't want us to give up control of our idns...

We do. I'll let you know my Dynadot info for the free push. ;)

I am not sure even they could do much with the US. Coercing spendthrift nations into balancing the books is a hard act. In the case of the US, it would be more less impossible. Even Newt Genrich would have to give up his bases on the moon. Most of Obama, and even Bushes legislation would have to be scrapped. And of course you would have to give up the Dollar.

They would have to give up democracy first. Less wars and more taxes might help. But for some reason I can't quite figure out you won't get elected if you want to raise taxes while you get re-elected for bombing places you can't even find on a map.

jose
28th January 2012, 11:14 AM
Economical crisis -> Political extremism -> Protectionism -> War

Drewbert
28th January 2012, 10:25 PM
Economical crisis -> Political extremism -> Protectionism -> War

Yep.

My major worry is that in the last depression there weren't these giant nuclear reactors spread all over the northern hemisphere.

When it all turns into a shit sandwich this time, is joe average nuclear plant employee going to make a beeline to the plant to make sure it stays operational (and those huge spent-fuel pools stay cooled) or is he going to opt for taking his family to safety instead?

yanni
31st January 2012, 05:43 PM
http://www.spiegel.de/wirtschaft/soziales/0,1518,769052,00.html

Drewbert
31st January 2012, 07:29 PM
Thats all in Greek or something. I can't understand it.

bumblebee man
1st February 2012, 08:26 AM

That's Urdu. I'll translate a bit:

It's an interview with a German historian who argues that...
- Germany has been the worst debtor country in the 20th century
- they were bankrupt twice (after the wars)
- they only managed to succeed economically because they got a huge debt relief by the US
- they shouldn't be picking on Greece because of that.

Rubber Duck
1st February 2012, 11:32 AM
That's Urdu. I'll translate a bit:

It's an interview with a German historian who argues that...
- Germany has been the worst debtor country in the 20th century
- they were bankrupt twice (after the wars)
- they only managed to succeed economically because they got a huge debt relief by the US
- they shouldn't be picking on Greece because of that.

But Nobody is picking Greece. Everyone is actually trying to help despite getting limited cooperation from the Greeks themselves.

Off course the Greeks reserve the right to bugger off and do their own thing. They just cannot expect everyone else to keep writing them blank cheques.

jose
1st February 2012, 11:41 AM
And that's how it starts all over again:

http://www.greece.org/blogs/wwii/

Bringing old hates back.

yanni
1st February 2012, 02:27 PM
No one's hating.

We just want more money so we can buy more BMWs and Mercedes, that's all.

Drewbert
15th February 2012, 07:56 PM
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/farage-greek-chaos-you-aint-seen-nothing-yet

squirrel
15th February 2012, 08:04 PM
Getting the drachma back ? really ? The country will still owe large sums denominated in Euros... (?)

Anyways, how's everything for you guys, Yanni, Alex (and others if any) ?

Drewbert
15th February 2012, 08:10 PM
They need to do an Iceland.

bumblebee man
15th February 2012, 10:50 PM
Getting the drachma back ? really ? The country will still owe large sums denominated in Euros... (?)

The debt relief will be 100% anyway. And opting out of the Euro zone looks like the only way to become competitive again.

bwhhisc
15th February 2012, 11:01 PM

Their offering to pay the european banks off in feta cheese and kalamata olives. :p

And...they want credit for the hundreds of millions in antiquities pilfered over the last century as part of the deal.

sbe18
16th February 2012, 12:34 AM
prince philip would be one of the Greek stiffs to be returned ????
s/

Kent99
16th February 2012, 01:54 AM
I am afraid Prince Philip, duke of Edinburgh, is busy at the moment. According to Wikipedia he is occupied as the "consort" of Elizabeth II.

Rubber Duck
16th February 2012, 03:10 AM

No they won,t.

That is the whole point of default.

Drewbert
16th February 2012, 04:46 AM
They need to get that default done now before Germany and France strip all their assets.

Rubber Duck
16th February 2012, 05:38 AM
They need to get that default done now before Germany and France strip all their assets.

My view exactly.

alexd
16th February 2012, 08:42 AM

In a nutshell - "Things here are totally fucked up !!".

I have family members who have seen their wages stripped down to virtually nothing, others who have had their pensions and benefits completed stopped. Unemployment is around 20%, etc etc. It's very bleak at the moment for many people here. One thing for sure is that those of us holding Greek IDNs are gonna need a lot more patience !!